• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Soquel winemaker missing in Sierra snowstorm

tanabutler

If you have any spare prayers laying around and wouldn't mind pointing them this way, we know some of these guys: Hikers still missing in Sierra snow. Paul Bargetto, twin brother of Peter, is one of the partners at Soquel Vineyards (a wonderful winery in the Santa Cruz mountains); they are two of ten siblings of the enormous Bargetto Winery family. The teenaged boy is a close friend of my daughter's.

All the dads I know are very optimistic; all the moms I know are worried. Apparently the rescuers (sixty-plus people including military) reached the lake today. These guys are experienced, fit, and smart, and they filed a plan before they left.

Hoping for the best here in Soquel.

Edited by tanabutler (log)

Damn. I know how it feels to be lost in the bush. No matter how prepared you are, things can happen.

Sounds as though they are prepared, smart and skilled enough to wait out the storm.

slowfood/slowwine

Thoughts are with them. Sounds like they know what they're doing, they have trained professionals with them and hopefully they'll be found real soon, probably hungry and cold, but not too much worse for wear.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

My daughter's school is covered in yellow ribbons, and they adorn the wrist of nearly every student in the school, as well.

I was in a meeting just a short distance from the Bargetto Winery when the owner of Theo's (the restaurant where we met) received a call from his wife that they'd been found. I admit it, I broke down sobbing in relief.

What jubilation. Now we just hope they're all physically fine, and that they will heal from the trauma.

It's homecoming week here in Santa Cruz County, and what a homecoming it is.

Yeah, we gotta find out where they're serving all that wine!

:biggrin:

Oh, I knew where they'd all be: Bargetto Winery hosts more community gatherings in Soquel than anyone I can think of.

I drove by just to see the jubilation: a huge hand-painted banner adorned the bridge over Soquel Creek, right before Main Street, where Bargetto Winery is located...more yellow ribbons. And in front of the winery, four separate news trucks.

I am too shy to have gone in without my girl, but it was enough for me to know that the this huge and good family (Paul is one of ten siblings) is rejoicing tonight. It's enough for me that Homecoming Week has a very sweet meaning for our community.

Wish someone had told me I should worry less, and given me exhaustive details on the difference between being "missing" and "stuck" in a blizzard.

Thanks, and if someone wants to delete this whole thread, it's fine with me. Job well done, and thanks for the comfort, y'all.

Edited by tanabutler (log)