• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Castello Banfi tasting

Andre

Banfi is one of the most famous Italian wineries in Italy’s most famous wine region, yet, my own impression is that there is nothing much Italian about it except for a finely built Brunello di Montalcino.

Following is a tasting of their wines

Col-Di-Sasso Banfi 2002

This well made blend of Sangiovese and Cabernet is hardly a reflection of anything. The wine is purely technical and correct but also one dimensional and lacks character. A simple version of a new world wine.

Centine Banfi 2002:

The addition of the Merlot to the Sangiovese and Cabernet, provides a little more body, when compared to the simpler Col-Di-Dasso, yet again hardly any character at all and although well built and focused in the mouth, the wine lacks complexity or any uniqueness.

Chianti Placido 2003

This wine should be outlawed in Chianti and just proves the worthless Italian rating system.

A simple soft-textured one dimentional wine with no relation whatsoever to the region. The addition of Merlot to Sangiovese was never my cup of tea, but this is ridiculous.

Chianti Banfi 2003

A rather simple and soft textured Chianti with some relation to the real thing. The wine forms a gap after first encounter in the mouth that proves rather dull in the second glass.

Chianti Classico Banfi 2002

Finally a bit of character here. Well-structured with a good combination between acids and tannins. Not sure I would pick this one if I had other choices – and many spring to mind. The term classico aims at confining the choice of vineyards and producing more Chianti character. Keeping this in mind, the wine is again disappointing.

Chianti Classico Banfi Riserva 2000:

Barely ready for drinking, finally a promising wine after a very disappointing start. Dark red with much depth.

The nose is still closed, but slowly reveals a concentrated sour red fruit aroma mixed with the rather subtle Slovanian oak bouquet.

Good tannins and a very good acidity, promise much more than the minimal blend of raspberries and spice showing at this stage. The spice dominates the finish along with some herbs and minerals.

Drink 2005-2008.

Rosso di Montalcino Banfi 2000:

Either this year was awfully bad or the winery’s promise of select grapes does not stand.

Although fairly young, this simple form of R di M leaves little promise for a better future.

Cum Laude Banfi 2001

Sangiovese (Banfi Clonal Selection)/Cabernet Sauvignon/Merlot/Syrah.

There are two things that amuse me with Banfi:

1. The use of terms such as “Clonal Selection”

2. The choice of names such as “Cum Laude”.

In an era where might is right, few people will laugh at the name.

This is an attempt of another [term that I hate] “Super” Tuscan showing lots of muscle with little finess and for now balance of flavors. Indeed the wine is consistent and within a massive frame, I fail to see anything this wine might honor other than an impressive price tag.

Drink

Brunello di Montalcino Banfi 1999:

Castello Banfi Brunello di Montalcino may cover for any deficiency this winery might have.

A massive world class wine with a huge tannin structure that promises a constant and secure bottle maturation for years to come.

One of the more impressive tannin displays in classic wines magically balanced.

Drink 2009-2015.

Andre Suidan

I was taught to finish what I order.

Life taught me to order what I enjoy.

The art of living taught me to take my time and enjoy.

Banfi's Brunellos seem to be a sort of benchmark in good vintages. It's like Frescobaldi's Nippazano Riserva. They make so much of both of these wines. The rest of thier line up is kind of underwhelming. With so much income coming from these two wines they should be able to branch off with other brilliant wines.

I am kind of depressed to think I'll have to wait so long for my 6 bottles of 99 Brunello to be ready. I wonder how long for the Poggio alle Mura?

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

Banfi is a producer I can't get too excited about.

There isn't anything "typical" about their wines other than "hmmmm there is sangiovese in this wine".

Not to say it is a bad product, which it isn't.

It just isn't a great Tuscan producer.

I tasted their line up from bottom to top a month or so ago and well, I have to say for me it didn't do the trick. Mind you, I have many friends who love the wine they make so as they say, let your own palate be your guide.

slowfood/slowwine

I recall a comment from a friend of mine who once said "I didn't know Banfi was imported into Italy."

Their Brunelli have been the only wines I've thought truly "Italian." The 1997 Summus is not very good. The 1997 Excelsus is a good steak wine in a California Cabernet sort of way. I've stopped buying.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero