• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Austin, Victoria and Bryan-College Station

Liz Johnson

An old ditty my grandpa used to repeat — meaning, you can drive all g-dam day and still not leave the great state of Texas.

And this is about what my husband and I will be doing when we make our semi-regular visit to family in November. We'll be hitting Austin, Victoria and Bryan-College Station, and everywhere inbetween (including, Lockhart, Luling, etc.). And I'm looking for help dining, shopping, foraging and otherwise discovering wondeful food!

First we'll be in Austin.

My sister has lived here many years, so I've been to many of the better known places: Fonda San Miguel, Hudsons, Kirbey Lane, Shady Grove, Threadgill's, etc. I've been to Central Market a hundred times. Last time we were there, our "fancy" meal was Wink. Anything new?

Then we're heading to College Station. I've only been here once, and found a pretty decent Tex-Mex on the road between CS and Bryan. Don't remember the name, though.

Victoria. I used to live here when I was tiny, and as far as I remember (and have seen from visits back) it's chain-restaurant hell. Any good news?

Any and all suggestions are very welcome — including cool shops, farmers markets, homemade stuff, etc.

Thanks!

Liz Johnson

Professional:

Food Editor, The Journal News and LoHud.com

Westchester, Rockland and Putnam: The Lower Hudson Valley.

Small Bites, a LoHud culinary blog

Personal:

Sour Cherry Farm.

:cool:

Victoria. I used to live here when I was tiny, and as far as I remember (and have seen from visits back) it's chain-restaurant hell. Any good news?

I grew up outside of Victoria, and I make the trip back to visit the family a couple of times a year....and sadly, it's still chain-restaurant hell. In fact, I was there this weekend and asked my folks where we could go today for lunch that was good but not a chain, and the choices were nothing exciting. One place that sounded somewhat intriguing was a newish restaurant called La Hacienda near the mall on Navarro. Mom said it's interior Mexican, which is surprising for that area.

I wasn't really in the mood for Mexican, so we decided to go to the Pelican's Warf on Hiway 59. It was okay for Victoria, but nothing great. I was a bit surprised that my gulf fried shrimp plate had a small container of sorbet next to the cocktail sauce and tartar sauce to help cleanse the salad bar flavors from the pallete :huh:

I'm constantly amazed that a community that has grown so much over the past 10 years since I moved away for college is still so horribly underserved by decent dining options. I mean there are a ton of dives that serve huge meals at rock bottom prices, and there are some okay chains, but I can't find anyone who can recommend a restaurant that has decent ambiance and is owner-operated.

IF THERE ARE ANY CHEFS OUT THERE LOOKING FOR AN UNDERSERVED MARKET IN A DECENT SIZED CITY, VICTORIA IS YOUR PLACE.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well... as usual in Texas: we had tons of bbq and Mexican.

Started in Austin with a dinner at Starlight. They are apparently opening a new one downtown, but they are keeping the northern location, too. Good microgreens salad, delicious sea scallops, amazing sea bass, very decent pork and steak. I like the cool old house vibe and the barkcloth on the walls.

Then brunch at Fonda San Miguel. Never. Had. So. Much. Food. Before. Noon. A wonderful selection of regional dishes and standards like corn pudding, guac, etc. Chef stands among the tables teeming with food, and likes to answer questions about the styles of cooking. He told us one of the dishes, a room-temperature pickled fish (sorry... can't remember the name) is often spread with a spicy sauce and wrapped in tortillas on picnics. Lovely.

In College Station we ate in a lot. Had some good barbecue at J. Cody's but it was more fun for the bluegrass jam. People just walk in with their instruments and start playing. Fun.

We also hit Firebird's. A very decent burrito, I must say. Great college-town food: cheap and good.

We went to Square One in Bryan for a nice dinner. The pastas — especially the poblano-beef tips with penne — were well made. I loved the atmopshere here: concete floors, odd-matched old tables and chairs, swinging screen door, Victorian dresser in the bathroom.

We had a home-cooked Mexican meal in Victoria that BLEW MY MIND. The grandmother I went to visit there has nursing care and one of the staff made us enchiladas, rice and beans. No words to describe.

Back in Austin we hit El Sol y Luna and Las Manitas for migas and discovered a wonderful Vietnamese restaurant on Research called Sunflower. I recommend pho, the crepe and the lemongrass beef. A passing dish of sizzling sea bass smelled divine.

The biggest disappointment was at Chez Nous. The food was OK but nothing special. And their cheese course is an embarrassment. They brought my husband a big slab of brie straight from the freezer with a garnish of iceberg lettuce. Did we order wrong? This place has a lot of write-ups on the walls, but I'm wondering if they've been resting on laurels.

One of my favorite spots was the Broken Spoke. My second time being there... lots of fun for people watching, tho we didn't eat a thing.

Liz Johnson

Professional:

Personal:

Sour Cherry Farm.

If you can hit Granbury, do Niester's German Restaurant and Deli/Bakery on 377. Worth the 10-15 minutes to git there, believe it.

Thanks! I guess it'll have to be next time!

Liz Johnson

Professional:

Personal:

Sour Cherry Farm.

Thanks for the traveling Texas report, Liz. Sounds like you had a good time.

The biggest disappointment was at Chez Nous. The food was OK but nothing special. And their cheese course is an embarrassment. They brought my husband a big slab of brie straight from the freezer with a garnish of iceberg lettuce. Did we order wrong? This place has a lot of write-ups on the walls, but I'm wondering if they've been resting on laurels.

"

Does anyone have any ideas about this. "Brie from straight from the freezer sounds like an odd error. Did you ask them about it, Liz? Did you have them warm it up?

Then brunch at Fonda San Miguel. Never. Had. So. Much. Food. Before. Noon. A wonderful selection of regional dishes and standards like corn pudding, guac, etc. Chef stands among the tables teeming with food, and likes to answer questions about the styles of cooking. He told us one of the dishes, a room-temperature pickled fish (sorry... can't remember the name) is often spread with a spicy sauce and wrapped in tortillas on picnics. Lovely.

Does anyone know what this pickled fish is? Sounds tasty.

Thanks again for sharing your culinary tour with us, Liz.

The report was my pleasure.

Brie from straight from the freezer sounds like an odd error. Did you ask them about it, Liz? Did you have them warm it up?

I would be curious to know people's experiences at Chez Nous. We mentioned the problem about the cheese (perhaps I'm exaggerating about the freezer, but it was cold), and they said something like, "Oh, so sorry." They were gracious about taking something else off the check (they charged us for a full bottle of wine when we'd had 2 glasses at the bar), but even so, I didn't leave with a good feeling.

Does anyone know what this pickled fish is? Sounds tasty.

I'm sorry I can't remember about the fish. I'm a newspaper food writer so it's nice to go out to eat and not take notes while I'm on vacation. :wink:

Liz Johnson

Professional:

Personal:

Sour Cherry Farm.

• 1 year later...

My annual trip is coming up again, but this time it'll be spent all in Austin. I've been hearing about Cafe 909 and Little Texas Bistro a lot -- anyone been?

I'll definitely be going to Fonda San Miguel again... tho maybe not for brunch.

What else is new and fun?

Liz Johnson

Professional:

Personal:

Sour Cherry Farm.

I don't know what you may already know about those two restaurants, but both have been favorably reviewed by the Austin Chronicle, but are a bit far away.

Recent developments in the past year?

Quality Seafood opened an oyster bar a few months ago. I love it so much I go at least once a week. A dozen oysters on the half-shell for only $6.95!

54192588_7ff3f45f9f.jpg

Vespaio opened an enoteca next door. It's open for lunch, more casual, serves different items and is priced a bit less than dinner.

Y Bar and Grill has changed ownership and the menu has been overhauled. The Chronicle review was not so great but a chef friend and I went and both of us enjoyed it.

My annual trip is coming up again, but this time it'll be spent all in Austin. I've been hearing about Cafe 909 and Little Texas Bistro a lot -- anyone been?

I'll definitely be going to Fonda San Miguel again... tho maybe not for brunch.

What else is new and fun?

Liz,

Check out our web site for more info, we have lots of people who drive out from austin, it's not really that far

M. Schmidt

Cafe909.com

Liz,

Check out our web site for more info, we have lots of people who drive out from austin, it's not really that far

Thanks Mark! With a personal invite, how can I refuse? I actually did a bit of investigating already. I loved your

answers to the Q&A in the AAS over the summer. Between your favorite indulgence, favorite cookbook and favorite type of food, I think we have a lot in common! (I got to interview Fergus and write a feature on him earlier this year.) I've heard there are some very cool Christmas light displays in Marble Falls, too.

I think another night will have to be Enoteca, then.

Kent, is this the Quality Seafood you're talking about? I've never been.

Liz Johnson

Professional:

Personal:

Sour Cherry Farm.

I think another night will have to be Enoteca, then.

Kent, is this the Quality Seafood you're talking about? I've never been.

I believe Vespaio Enoteca is only open during the day. It shuts down and Vespaio is open for dinner. If you've never been to Vespaio at all, it's certainly worth a visit. See: Italian restaurant round-up.

Yes, that is indeed the Quality Seafood. I also just posted a comprehensive review of the place.