• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sausage Making Question

Juanito

Any home sausage makers out there?

I have a question regarding the Italian sausage one typically sees in butcher shops.

Usually, the sausage is offered in the thick ropes (both hot and sweet) and then in thinner coils, which are often made with cheese and parsley.

If I want to make the standard thick kind, I suppose I would use hog casings. But what about the thinner kind? Is there a special casing I should be looking for to make those?

TIA

J

I have a question regarding the Italian sausage one typically sees in butcher shops.

Usually, the sausage is offered in the thick ropes (both hot and sweet) and then in thinner coils, which are often made with cheese and parsley.

If I want to make the standard thick kind, I suppose I would use hog casings. But what about the thinner kind? Is there a special casing I should be looking for to make those?

TIA

J

Hog casings are graded according to diameter (millimeter) size. For example a small diameter Italian would stuff nicely into the 30-32 mm size. Large ring type Kielbasa or Italian would also go well into the 35-38 mm diameter.

For the home consumer though, it would suffice to say that sausage "hanks" are available 35mm and down, or 35mm and up.

A typical "hank" will stuff about 100 lbs of sausage. When stored properly in the refrigerator they can last well up to a year, without much degradation.

Many internet sources offer smaller 25lb packages of casings. When purchasing in this manner though, expect to get less choice in available diameters.

woodburner

The smaller casings you asked about are usually lamb.

They are helpful if making a poultry or lamb sausage for people who don't eat pork. Also good for breakfast sausage.

Actually the question was regarding different diameters of Italian Sausages.

If your putting poultry and lamb in your Italian Links, call them something else, and don't call me for dinner.

woodburner

Juanito, the standard natural casings are hog casings, are about an inch in diameter and are used for your standard Italian sausage/kielbasa. But don't worry, the smaller casings (which are also used for breakfast sausage) are also typically hog intestines as well, but the small intestine instead of the large intestine.

Sometimes you can find grocery stores that carry standard casings (large intestine), but for the smaller ones you'll need to call your local butchers. When I was in Seattle and making sausage rather regularly it was only the butchers that had small intestine casings.

If you can't find a local butcher that carries the smaller casings, I've heard rumors of a so-called "Internet". Perhaps there you can find a source. If you can find true love there, it might be possible to find small hog casings there. I hear from people everyday that are thankful to Al Gore for inventing the Internet, but I'll be damned if I ever go there.

hi there

Hog casings is good for any sausage.

Make sure all the ingredients, especially the meat, are very cold, including the grinder or food processor blade. Place the blade in the freezer until needed. This prevents the meat and the fat from homogenizing together, looking like a pâté.

A very good sausage guide site will cover all your questions......

http://www.sausagemania.com/

enjoy . Lior - Israel

--------------------------

TIA

J