• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Curry?

JennyUptown

Our own Monica Bhide has the lede story in the Washington Post food section this week. A big round of applause for

The Curry Question: Ask an Indian cook how to make chicken curry. You won't get the same answer twice.

Congrats!

Liz Johnson

Professional:

Food Editor, The Journal News and LoHud.com

Westchester, Rockland and Putnam: The Lower Hudson Valley.

Small Bites, a LoHud culinary blog

Personal:

Sour Cherry Farm.

Great article. Congratulations. I loved the thing about the ham. :laugh:

I have to say that while I love Indian food, I was never inspired to get into cooking it until I wound up at eGullet and started reading Monica's writing.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Great article. Congratulations. I loved the thing about the ham.  :laugh:

I have to say that while I love Indian food, I was never inspired to get into cooking it until I wound up at eGullet and started reading Monica's writing.

Many many thanks.. yes the ham story is one of my all time favorites.

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

I understand that you are in Richmond, VA. I am sure there are quite a few Indian grocery stores there. It should not be a problem finding the ingredients.

Also there is an active thread in the India forum on buying Indian spices online. You may check that also.

a lovely article and the analogy to bbq was fitting! i only wish that i had access to all the  ingredients for these curries.

Congratulations, Monica!

For those who do not see the print edition, it's the lead story with numerous photos - very cool.

And it's an excellent article. I have a feeling many people in the DC area are going to be making various versions of chicken curry this week. :smile:

All of us are benefiting from Monica's transition to a career as a food writer!

Wow!!!!!!!

Incredible placement and an incredible story. The Washington Post has been great to eGullet and Monica is its new star. Excellent.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

There's also a thread about it on the DC etc. board.

moderator's note:

These threads have been merged here. The DC thread no longer exists. A note has been posted in the DC forum alerting members to this thread.

Note to Fat Guy: you can be very proud of your "children."

Edited to add: I've asked on the India and Indian Cuisine board for others to continue posting their recipes and stories. I can't wait to read them, AND to cook. :biggrin:

Edited by Bux (log)

You are on your way, Monica! But then who doubted it? Not me! :biggrin:

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I saw the article even before i brought the newspaper in this AM.

WooHoo!

The one from NW (?) India with the yoghurt looked quite interesting.

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

Congrats again Monica on a great article. It's a great topic, and it's refreshing to see a creative approach taken where some writers would just offer a basic overview of a dish and call it a day.

And anyone who calls random strangers out of the phone book in the name of food reportage gets extra gold stars in my book!!!

Same here (thanks, Monica).

The article is very, very nice work. We're all proud of you.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

I like the idea of calling people randomly in the phonebook for recipes. I'll have to do that.

"Hello, Mrs Sarducci? Al Dente here. Can I have your Marinara recipe?"

:raz:

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

Congratulations, Monica.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM