• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What to serve these people?!

KathyP

Having some family over for dinner next week. We haven't seen some of them in a long time since they've been in California. My daughter is a vegetarian (no fish or chicken, either) and my D-I-L does not eat vegetables or eggs. I am at a loss for something to serve. Aside from serving 2 separate dishes - like a meat lasagna and a veggie one - I'm at a loss. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Holy crap! And I thought I had picky eater friends.....

well I have done the lasagne thing before, we made it really fun by making individual one's in cupcake tins and serving them on cake platters. Then I also did a baked ricotta filled shells too (but I think the stuffing had eggss)

ok seriously who doesn't eat veggies? any veggies?? wow! her kids must LOVE her!!

Another option may be risotto, but without veggies, seafood or meat what to put in it?

I have made french onion soup with veggie broth for my pescatarians.

How about fondue? :biggrin:

I would serve them the delivery and take-out menus.

Nice..... :cool:

But I'm sorry - she doesn't eat vegetables....????!!!!!!

With all due respect to her, unless she has some sort of digestive issues that make the consumption of these impossible........WTF is wrong with this woman!?!?!?!?!?!??!!?

Forget the house, forget the children. I want custody of the red and access to the port once a month.

KEVIN CHILDS.

Doesn't play well with others.

You could set up a pizza 'bar'....and people could make their own individual pizzas with whatever toppings/sauces/flavorings they want.

Alternatively, but along the same lines: roll you own spring rolls.... or make your own tacos.

A big pile of different kinds of panini sandwiches is also any easy way to have a variety.

Anyways, good luck!

-h

Heidi Swanson

101 Cookbooks

For the vegan, you could do a ratatouille stuffed into pita bread -- perhaps with some type of rice pilaf. (For those non-vegans, this is tasty topped with some cheddar cheese).

Someone who doesn't eat veggies has me a bit stumped (how do you refer to someone like that? A meatatarian?) If she does eat pasta and dairy, a cheese lasagna or stuffed shell would be great. You could do a pesto sauce or alfredo type sauce or even tomato -- tomatoes are fruits, not vegetables as we know. :wink:

I like all the ideas about "make your own" bars.

"Doesn't eat vegetables?" I know it's English but it makes no sense. What a stumper, Kathy.

What about Chilaquile Casserole (basically a Mexican lasagne with tortillas instead of noodles)? You can stick the veggies on one side of it.

Other than that, yeah, pizza. If you want to make it easy on yourself, buy a couple of Bobolis and top one with tomato sauce/veg/cheese and the other with an entire yak with Mozzarella.

:biggrin:

Good luck.

Someone who doesn't eat veggies has me a bit stumped (how do you refer to someone like that?  A meatatarian?) 

A carnivore.

Forget the house, forget the children. I want custody of the red and access to the port once a month.

KEVIN CHILDS.

Doesn't play well with others.

I'd go Indian: Some dishes meat only, some dishes veggie, and all those condiments.............people can then serve themselves according to their (dis)likes, and nobody notices who's eating what.

My condolences. That's a tough crowd!

I'm a canning clean freak because there's no sorry large enough to cover the, "Oops! I gave you botulism" regrets.

If you're able to entertain outside, a "make your own shishkabob" is a good alternative as well--marinated vegetables & meats (on different platters, of course), and sides of fruit and salads. Just be sure part of the grill is reserved for vegetables skewers only.

Diana

(add me to the "doesn't eat vegetables?" perplexed crowd)

French Fries and ketchup. (Neither is a vegetable).

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

If you're able to entertain outside, a "make your own shishkabob" is a good alternative as well--marinated vegetables & meats (on different platters, of course), and sides of fruit and salads.  Just be sure part of the grill is reserved for vegetables skewers only.

Diana

(add me to the "doesn't eat vegetables?" perplexed crowd)

I second this idea. Even in-doors under a broiler it'd be great. My in-laws are a mix of carnivores and herbavores; so pork and/or lamb souvlaki and veggie kebabs are standard. Tatziki sauce in abundance, grilled pita bread, usually a dip such as baba ganoush or hummis, and a rice pilaf.

EDITED for typos.

Edited by itch22 (log)

-- Jason

I would have to stick with a Pizza / Pasta bar. People who "don't eat vegtables" are probably not going ot big on middle eastern or Indian style food either.

But everybody like Pizza.

Never trust a skinny chef

Honest to goodness, the daughter in law will not eat vegetables - except she does do fried potatoes. I guess she was never made to eat them when she was a kid. On second thought, she still is.

I like the Indian food - my daughter (the vegetarian) is a big fan. And I really like the shishkabob idea, too. I think I will save that for one for warmer weather here in Ohio. However, in order to keep the peace, a pasta bar may be the way to go. I've never done one for a party of 9, but it should be fun. Lots of choices and options.

Bacon for the vegetarian, roasted beets for the carnivore.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I would second the Cauliflower, it's a great recipe. I have served it to several vegetable haters. I have done a make your own Pizza party for 14 people in the past. It works quite easily. You just leave your oven cranked, in my case it was set @ 500 Degrees on convection. You make several precooked crust, just to a light brown. Then you line up the ingredients, and let your guest go at it. Everybody has a great time and it's cheap :raz:

Never trust a skinny chef

how about a nice slab of fruit cake with butter and jam?

trying to think of fruit dishes - rice and banana is quite nice

how about something with nuts? pb and j?

fruit salad?

make a pie but use lard to be mean

my sister in law was a veggie but i always used to make my roast spuds with lard and she always said they tasted like turkey :biggrin: now she's with mr meat eater and she is also a meat eater now so no real harm done. (we always knew anyway!)