• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A party for 500+ people: Venue needed

Marlene

So here I am in Salt Lake City at my professional conference. Next year, the conference is being held in Philidelphia and it is the Association's 25th anniversary.

I've been talked into (coerced?) running the Truly Canadian Event for the conference which has always been the best attended party of the conference. I ran it for 10 years, didn't run it this year, and thus, it did not happen.

Soooooo.

I'm looking for a good venue that can hold 500 plus people. Here's the criteria.

The food must be awesome (it will unfortunately have to be buffet style with that many people)

the room should be big enough (preferably not multi leveled as that impedes networking) and the music must be hot.

We must have Canadian beer available.

What I don't want is a museum, or art gallery or anything that distracts people from the event at hand.

I haven't really decided on a theme yet, but whatever it is will need to get worked into the menu somehow.

The budget we normally work with is about $25,000 US (but could be more if I raise enough sponsors) and that has to include the food and the band and the venue. The bar is a cash bar.

What I need from those of you in the know is a list of 3 or 4 places I can short list so I can come and visit with them in April

My real preference is somewhere close to the conference centre so I can avoid bussing people which not only leaves me with more money to spend on food and entertainment, but also saves me a lot of money in aspirin.

The event will be in October around this time (I'll get the exact dates tonight) and is always held on the Monday of the conference.

Help me!

Fairly simple right?

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I am not an expert at event planning, but for that many people I think you need to pick a venue and a caterer. No restaurant that I can think of would be able to accomodate that kind of crowd and meet your other criteria. For venues I would talk to the convention center, because they have a hall that used to be part of the train station that is beautiful. I'm not sure what they call it, I think it is the train sheds, maybe. You could also try to rent out the reading terminal market. If you were to consider a museum the new Constitution Center would be close by and it is pretty cool. I really like Peachtree and Ward for catering. http://www.peachtreecatering.com/.

I think music is a little harder to recommend, tastes really vary widely. Here is a band that I have personally thought about hiring in the near future. http://www.kenumusic.com/ They are fun to dance to.

I am not an expert at event planning, but for that many people I think you need to pick a venue and a caterer.  No restaurant that I can think of would be able to accomodate that kind of crowd and meet your other criteria.  For venues I would talk to the convention center, because they have a hall that used to be part of the train station that is beautiful.  I'm not sure what they call it, I think it is the train sheds, maybe.  You could also try to rent out the reading terminal market.

The Great Hall of the Convention Center occupies the front (south) half of the Reading Terminal trainshed. It is truly a spectacular space, which would swallow up your 500-odd guests. (A ballroom and several smaller meeting rooms are stacked atop each other in the shed's north end.)

The trainshed sits atop the Reading Terminal Market, which is a must-visit for any foodie visting Philly. And lucky you--the Reading Terminal Market merchants do catering, and you can rent the market for your event.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

I would definitely consider the National Constitution Center. Even though it is technically a museum, their lobby space is very adaptable and would be good for the size you are considering. Max & Me is the in-house caterer and do beautiful presentations, however I do think their food has suffered with all the volume they handle these days. I am sure this is an issue that could be dealt with via the right sales person.

You might also consider the Union League. I am not familiar with their in-house caterer, but it is a very nice event space. (I have only gone to dine-around type events there). It is also located right downtown near many of the larger hotels. Downtown Club is another similar suggestion.

Finally, I would put in my suggestion for Lloyd's Hall on Boathouse Row. Great location, but unfortunately, would probably involve busses (and aspirin).

"Love and cook with reckless abandon" - Dalai Lama

So here I am in Salt Lake City at my professional conference.  Next year, the conference is being held in Philidelphia and it is the Association's 25th anniversary.

I've been talked into (coerced?) running the Truly Canadian Event for the conference which has always been the best attended party of the conference.  I ran it for 10 years, didn't run it this year, and thus, it did not happen.

Soooooo.

I'm looking for a good venue  that can hold 500 plus people.  Here's the criteria. 

The food must be awesome (it will unfortunately have to be buffet style with that many people)

the room should be big enough (preferably not multi leveled as that impedes networking) and the music must be hot.

We must have Canadian beer available.

What I don't want is a museum, or art gallery or anything that distracts people from the event at hand.

I haven't really decided on a theme yet, but whatever it is will need to get worked into the menu somehow.

The budget we normally work with is about $25,000 US (but could be more if I raise enough sponsors) and that has to include the food and the band and the venue.  The bar is a cash bar.

What I need from those of you in the know is a list of 3 or 4 places I can short list so I can come and visit with them in April

My real preference is somewhere close to the conference centre so I can avoid bussing people which not only leaves me with more money to spend on food and entertainment, but also saves me a lot of money in aspirin.

The event will be in October around this time (I'll get the exact dates tonight) and is always held on the Monday of the conference.

Help me!

Fairly simple right?

Sounds like a wedding reception without the happy couple - enlist the help of a party planner - 25k (minus open bar) would land you a nice spot in center city I would think

I am a party planner. :blink: among many other things. I just want a neat place to hold it.

Marlene

I just want a neat place to hold it.

The Constitution Center is cool, but if you want to showcase the food, you're not going to get much that's neater than the Reading Terminal Market--and it's right under the Convention Center.

Another possible option, I believe, is the Crystal Tea Room, the former restaurant on the 9th floor of the Wanamaker Building (nee John Wanamaker department store) at 13th and Market, one block from the Convention Center. This is a very elegant space, with dark wood paneling and crystal chandeliers, so it may not be the ideal spot for a gathering for which you want to establish a more casual tone. But the space is a quintessentially Philadelphian place.

Their web page is on a site that helps people plan weddings, so beware, but if you're interested, here's the contact info from that wedding site:

Tom Finley

The Wanamaker Building

100 Penn Square East

Philadelphia, PA 19107

215-627-5100

tfin66@aol.com

He runs the facility's caterer.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

I agree with the others. Reading Terminal Market is the coolest and would definitely leave the most "Philadelphia" of impressions with your guests. There's really just nothing like it. I'd suggest "Philadelphia Cuisine" as your theme and you'll be in just the perfect place with little need for other fuss. Our own Mummer Charlie could help you gather some Mummers to play at the party and you've got a serious Philly themed party happening!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Excellent suggestion Katie! I'll add a few more suggestions which might not be as popular. Although you said "no museums" I still think the great hall of the Art Museum would be stunning. Great acoustics for music but might be too small for 500? Another suggestion is The Pyramid Club, 1735 Market St, 52nd floor (www.pyramidclub.com). A private club, they also allow other events there as well. I once had dinner there with members of the club and the food and the views of Philly (city hall, Liberty 1 right next store, etc.) were both excellent. Again, it might be too small for 500 but it's worth checking out.

"Nutrirsi di cibi prelibati e trasformare una necessita in estasi."

Thanks all and keep them coming. For the Constitution Centre or the Reading terminal Market do I need to engage a separate caterer? Not a problem, just need to know.

I'm saying 500 people because it is always possible we could get that many. We've had as low as 200 and as high as 750 for this party in the past, but I tend to want to cap it off at 500.

These people are serious drinkers, eaters and partiers. I think anything resembling chrystal chandeliers might be in danger from them!

(don't forget the bulk of them will be Canadian).

I'll need to find out where the confence will be holding their welcome reception (sunday night) and their Foundation gala (Sat ) so we don't do the same space twice if we can avoid it. Oh and the dates are Oct 24-26 I believe.

I would absolutely love to have some of the mummers play at the party!

Marlene

Marlene,

I can't give you suggestions as I know less than nothing about Philadelphia (except that it's the name of a film! :wacko: ), but I was curious as to whether it is a goal to showcase "Canadian" food, wine etc. I know that you said that Canadian beer was a must, but what about the others......and if so, what would you choose? Elk? Moose? Beaver? Seriously. I am a transplantee here in TO, and I've been wondering what 'real' Canadian food is - excepting Maple Syrup of course :smile: .

Forget the house, forget the children. I want custody of the red and access to the port once a month.

KEVIN CHILDS.

Doesn't play well with others.

Marlene,

I can't give you suggestions as I know less than nothing about Philadelphia (except that it's the name of a film! :wacko: ), but I was curious as to whether it is a goal to showcase "Canadian" food, wine etc. I know that you said that Canadian beer was a must, but what about the others......and if so, what would you choose? Elk? Moose? Beaver? Seriously. I am a transplantee here in TO, and I've been wondering what 'real' Canadian food is - excepting Maple Syrup of course :smile: .

The theme of the party determines the food. It isn't necessarily Canadian food. In Miami, we did a beach party complete with and outdoor BBQ and corn roast.

In Chicago, we did a 20's theme with gangsters and "flapper foods"

In LA we held the party on the Cheers set and did a Hollywood theme.

Two years ago the conference was in Toronto and we did a Trans Canada Highway theme with foods from each province.

If you are in Toronto, nothing says Toronto like a peameal bacon sandwich.

"in Philadelphia maybe it should be a Confederation party? Isn't the Liberty bell there? (don't shoot me, I'm a Canadian. I don't really know whether it is or isn't)

:smile:

Marlene

Thanks all and keep them coming.  For the Constitution Centre or the Reading terminal Market do I need to engage a separate caterer?  Not a problem, just need to know.

I'm saying 500 people because it is always possible we could get that many.  We've had as low as 200 and as high as 750 for this party in the past, but I tend to want to cap it off at 500.

These people are serious drinkers, eaters and partiers.  I think anything resembling chrystal chandeliers might be in danger from them!

(don't forget the bulk of them will be Canadian).

I'll need to find out where the confence will be holding their welcome reception (sunday night) and their Foundation gala (Sat ) so we don't do the same space twice if we can avoid it.  Oh and the dates are Oct 24-26 I believe.

I would absolutely love to have some of the mummers play at the party!

$US25000 divided by 500 people = $50 per person cost

While that amount is probably adequate for 200 people, 500 people would probably be stretching it, and 750 people would need more money on top of that.

Unless I'm mistaken, that money is supposed to account for:

event space, assuming not in a hotel or otherwise packaged

band, instead of DJ (despite DJ being cheaper, because I'm assuming the crowd is more comfortable with a band)

hors d'oeuvres buffet instead of full dinner buffet (I'm assuming there is no additional monies available, since a full dinner buffet would be significantly more)

decorations such as flowers, posters, flags, props, etc.

Also factor in that should the event space be a distance away from the hotel/primary convention space that you'll likely need a bussing company, which may or may not have to be included in the budget.

Additionally, unless you purchase it for them (which I think might be the best option, with the current state regulations), the caterer will have to pay a few thousand more for alcohol, without knowing definitively the guest count.

I guess where I'm going with all that is that the attendee count/other factors need to be significantly more specific before I'd really go that much farther.

I would try and nail more additional details down before going too much further.

Sorry to put the brakes on all the dreaming about what could be.

To answer questions posed above, the National Constitution Center has a contracted caterer, Max and Me Catering, out of Doylestown, PA.

It sounds like catering in the Reading Terminal Market is different than it used to be, in that there is nominally an in-house caterer. Unless that's just a front office person and name, and they actually use an outside firm.

In 1996, I did a Valentine's Day event there for Restaurant Associates.

Marlene, if you wait a month or two and nail down more details (including where the rest of the events are going to be) before investigating further, I'd be happy and eager to help you in a non-Egulleteer capacity, since I more than likely will be a salesperson for an area catering firm.

Best,

Herb Lau

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

I've been doing this now for 10 years, so I'm getting relatively good at it. By the time I'm ready to visit potential venues in April I will have a lot more of these details pinned down.

It could be a DJ, but we tend to have more fun with a band. Quite often, if you are spending $25,000 or $30,000 dollars with a venue, the space is free. That's why we like restaurants. Monday nights aren't typically hot nights for restaurants. We have bussed before and I prefer not to which is why I want to keep it to a short cab ride or walk from the convention.

In LA we had 750 people and we did the whole thing with full dinner buffet for $30,000 US

The bulk of our decorations are donated.

I'd be delighted to speak with you later in the process. The purpose of this post was to determine potential places that would suit such a gathering.

In Toronto we did 550 people for $40,000 Cdn) and that was a full buffet as well.

edited to add: the 25,000 - $30,000 is what we generally raise in sponsorships. Until Toronto, Canadian members attended free but paid for their guests and any IFMA member who was not Canadian and wanted to attend, paid as well if there was still space available. In Toronto, we started charging Canadians to attend as well. Since none of them revolted, we'll probaby continue charging them. Likely $25.00 for Canadians and 45 for Guests and Non Canadian members. That should add to our total budget nicely.

Katie, I'm assuming your place won't suit since you didn't suggest it :biggrin:

Marlene

I've been doing this now for 10 years, so I'm getting relatively good at it.  By the time I'm ready to visit potential venues in April I will have a lot more of these details pinned down.

Because you are an event planner, I did have a feeling you knew more and weren't trying to jump that far ahead yet. However, the thread did jump farther ahead.

It could be a DJ, but we tend to have more fun with a band.  Quite often, if you are spending $25,000 or $30,000 dollars with a venue, the space is free.  That's why we like restaurants.  Monday nights aren't typically hot nights for restaurants.  We have bussed before and I prefer not to which is why I want to keep it to a short cab ride or walk from the convention.

In LA we had 750 people and we did the whole thing with full dinner buffet for $30,000 US

The bulk of our decorations are donated.

Yea, I was just assuming "worst" case scenario---have to buy/bring everything you'll need.

If the event space and the caterer are divisions of the same entity (like a hotel), I suspect you would get the space for free.

I agree, most people like the full band better.

I expect conference attendees (generalizing here) are the same.

I'd be delighted to speak with you later in the process.  The purpose of this post was to determine potential places that would suit such a gathering.

Yea, that's what I was thinking as well. A little soon before those details are nailed down. The Constitution Center is likely too far from any hotel.

In Toronto we did 550 people for $40,000 Cdn) and that was a full buffet as well.

edited to add:  the 25,000 - $30,000 is what we generally raise in sponsorships.  Until Toronto, Canadian members attended free but paid for their guests and any IFMA member who was not Canadian and wanted to attend, paid as well if there was still space available.  In Toronto, we started charging Canadians to attend as well.  Since none of them revolted, we'll probaby continue charging them.  Likely $25.00 for Canadians and 45 for Guests and Non Canadian members.  That should add to our total budget nicely.

That'll be an interesting twist.

:biggrin: Yea, Katie's place might fit your board of directors, and their families. And that's about it. Indoor capacity of 40 or so I'd guess.

Edited by herbacidal (log)

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Marlene:

:laugh: We have a 36 seat dining room. April through November (weather permitting) we expand to include maybe another 20 or so seats in sidewalk cafe tables. I'd definitely have suggested it if it were feasible, but even a standup cocktail party for 100 with most of the furniture moved out (which we have done) is pushing the limits. Our restaurant is often referred to as a "jewel box". Not gonna work for your crowd unfortunately, or I'd have been delighted to help.

Herb is well versed in the local venues and caterers. I'm certain he'll be able to give you a more realistic idea of current pricing and availability than I. It's been quite some time since I was in catering full time in this town. However, I'd be happy to make introductions to a former employer if that were of any assistance.

I hope that we can at least meet for a cocktail or arrange a full eGullet red carpet salute for a visiting fellow forum host when you come here on your April reconaissance mission. Keep us informed and we'll arrange for the marching band and parade as soon as we have the date of your arrival. :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Marlene:

:laugh: We have a 36 seat dining room.  April through November (weather permitting) we expand to include maybe another 20 or so seats in sidewalk cafe tables. I'd definitely have suggested it if it were feasible, but even a standup cocktail party for 100 with most of the furniture moved out (which we have done) is pushing the limits.  Our restaurant is often referred to as a "jewel box".  Not gonna work for your crowd unfortunately, or I'd have been delighted to help.

Herb is well versed in the local venues and caterers.  I'm certain he'll be able to give you a more realistic idea of current pricing and availability than I.  It's been quite some time since I was in catering full time in this town.  However, I'd be happy to make introductions to a former employer if that were of any assistance.

I hope that we can at least meet for a cocktail or arrange a full eGullet red carpet salute for a visiting fellow forum host when you come here on your April reconaissance mission.  Keep us informed and we'll arrange for the marching band and parade as soon as we have the date of your arrival.  :biggrin:

Katie, I am so there. I'll let you know when I'll be in town!

Marlene

This is probably your best bet:

http://www.unionleague.org

They need $30,000 inclusive for a Saturday night, but this is for an open bar, 4 courses etc. Call them and they'll work with you. You may need a member to sponsor the event, but of course that is the easiest obstacle.

They eat, they drink, and in communion sweet

Quaff immortality and joy.

--John Milton

Has Frog Commissary fallen out of favor? I've never been to one of their catered affairs, though I went to Frog once somewhere around 1982, and was quite impressed. I'm on my second copy of their cookbook, having worn the first one out.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Has Frog Commissary fallen out of favor? I've never been to one of their catered affairs, though I went to Frog once somewhere around 1982, and was quite impressed. I'm on my second copy of their cookbook, having worn the first one out.

Dave:

Frog Commissary is still one of the triumvirate of big caterers here in Philly, the other two being Peachtree & Ward and Feast Your Eyes for whom I worked for several years. Frog/Commissary used to have the contract on the Franklin Institute (another great suggestion for a venue now that I think of it) and a couple of other places in town. The Frog restaurant has sadly been out of business for quite some time and the Commissary cafeteria as well. The catering company is all that's left.

That is a great cookbook. The Commissary Carrot Cake still holds the honor for best carrot cake I've ever had. That recipe alone is worth buying the book for.

edited to add:

Marlene:

HERE is a link for some of the facilities that have been mentioned. Scroll to the bottom of the page and look at the ones listed as being in Philadelphia proper.

Or Raquet Club of Philadelphia

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Awesome. Thanks everyone. This usually is the party to end all parties so all this stuff is good!

katie, I will definately see you in April! :smile:

Marlene

They need $30,000 inclusive for a Saturday night, but this is for an open bar, 4 courses etc. Call them and they'll work with you. You may need a member to sponsor the event, but of course that is the easiest obstacle.

so who's a member here? :smile:

Marlene

so who's a member here? :smile:

Ahh. The venerable Union League. Definitely a men's club sort of atmosphere with dark wood, big leather chairs and tons of portraits of former slave owners lining the walls. :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

I just received an e-mail from the Kimmel Center announcing that "Holiday parties are forming" and immediately thought of this post. In looking at their facilities, the Commonwealth Plaza holds 750 for a sit down dinner and 1250 for a reception. The rental is $4500 for for-profit organizations and $4250 for non-profits. The space is quite modern and, I think, very pretty. Just thought I'd throw this one in, there have been many excellent suggestions and I think many that Marlene will be able to choose from. If you are interested Marlene the link is www.kimmelcenter.org or facilities@kimmelcenter.org.

"Nutrirsi di cibi prelibati e trasformare una necessita in estasi."

• 3 weeks later...

Ahh.  The venerable Union League.  Definitely a men's club sort of atmosphere with dark wood, big leather chairs and tons of portraits of former slave owners lining the walls. :biggrin:

That second floor main room is really gorgeous though.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.