• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nevis

We're planning a trip to Nevis in the spring and would love to get some first-hand recommendations from fellow eGulleteers. All of the usual suspects, from various travel resources, have come across our radar screen but we've been unable to find any sample menus or get any detailed recommendations. We'll be there for a week and will probably eat a few "nice" dinners, a few more casual dinners and (fingers crossed) hope to find a good source for some take-out/eat-in dinners.

• 3 months later...

[quote=bushey,

Did you go yet bushey? what did you find?

Looks like I'm set to win a sales contest with the prize being a trip to Nevis.

I've read/heard about Miss Junes. I've no other info besides that.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be"

No, we aren't going until April. When are you going?

I've also read about Miss June's, but it doesn't sound like the kind of place my husband would love, since he's not that social. But we've decided that we'll probably give Bananas a try and go to Montpelier Plantation for a high-end meal. Mem's sounds like a good place for casual fare.

We're renting a villa, so I assume there'll be a guest book with information and recommendations.

Thanks for the recco. The villa we're renting is very close to the Four Seasons, so I imagine we'll be spending time on the beach there. We're not really big drinkers, especially during the day, so I doubt we'll be tempted by the Killer B's, but chicken wings, on the other hand, sound like a great lunch!

I also was not impressed with the food at Nisbet, except when they did their seafood buffet dinner. That was out of this world. You might want to call them when you're there and find out if/when they're still doing that.

Sunshine's is good for basic beachbar food, and so is the beach bar that Golden Rock hotel used to operate on the other side of the Four Seasons Resort on Pinney's Beach...however I'm not sure if they ever rebuilt after the last big hurricane, it's been a number of years since I've been back to Nevis.

I wish I had more dining experiences to share on Nevis, but I tend to know its sister island St. Kitts a lot better and have mostly just gone on day trips to Nevis. However, I'm sure you'll enjoy it! It's a beautiful, quiet island, and I'd basically say try any of the local beach restaurants and food stands and you'll be sure to get some great Nevisian food.

sockii

| South Jersey Foodie |

Sockii, thanks for your post. We're starting to get excited about the trip -- I just made the arrangements for our rental car. The owner of our villa recommended we call someone he's just started doing business with, Marlon Brando (for real). I talked to Marlon on the phone for a while and he couldn't have been nicer, "Looking forward to meeting you, ya".

Sockii, thanks for your post.  We're starting to get excited about the trip -- I just made the arrangements for our rental car. The owner of our villa recommended we call someone he's just started doing business with, Marlon Brando (for real).  I talked to Marlon on the phone for a while and he couldn't have been nicer, "Looking forward to meeting you, ya".

Marlon was our driver for most of our trips into town.

VERY nice guy!

Jennifer

No, we aren't going until April.  When are you going?

JUNE! :angry::angry::angry: Why the heck would I want to go to the Caribbean during JUNE (free trip or not)!??!!! It's nice almost everywhere in the US by May. I'd rather have the $, even 50% of what the company is paying for myself and spouse to go.

Anyhow, back to the food, enough rant, A new associate working here, stated that a place called Sunshines next to the Four Seasons prepares (to quote) "Awesome" lobster. I'm not a big fan of warm water lobster but am a fan of getting off of the resort so we'll probably go.

Montpelier came highly recommended.

June will be beautiful in the Caribbean. I love going off season when there are few tourists -- we once spent a week at the end of June in Tortola and it was delightful. It's true that it's already warm and mostly nice "back home", but the ocean water never warms up the way it does in the Caribbean. Besides, having some time away with your spouse is better than having the $$ anyday :biggrin:

My husband and I love the spiny Caribbean lobster if it's cooked properly (i.e. not too dry). It's fantastic grilled and served with Creole sauce that has a kick.

Which resort are you staying at? Are you planning to rent a car and get around the island on your own?

We're starting to get excited about the trip and putting together some info on everything we want to do.......I'd love to do a horseback trail ride and some ocean kayaking, maybe a 1/2 day snorkel trip.

Which resort are you staying at? Are you planning to rent a car and get around the island on your own?
I still have to disagree about June in the Caribbean. :smile:

Staying here: http://www.fourseasons.com/nevis/ and will probably rent a car for a couple days to get around. How about you?

We're staying here which is apparently very close to the Four Seasons. Found the villa through various web searches. We're renting directly from the owners, who seem extremely nice, and were able to get somewhat of a discount, to boot.