• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where to buy sushi-grade fish in Denver/Boulder?

I'm planning a make-your-own sushi party and am trying to find stores that carry sushi-grade fish and other sushi products (tobiko, etc.) I have seen the Seattle Fish Company trucks delivering to Sushi Tora, but I haven't been able to get anyone to answer the phone there (Seattle Fish Company) and I'm not sure if they only do wholesale. Does anyone know where I can get some good fish? Thanks in advance!

Edited by Aileen (log)

Well, I know Whole Foods often has sushi-grade sake and maguro. They also carry some very good unagi. The big Wild Oats in Superior might also be a place to look at.

My first place to call and ask would be Pacific Mercantile. They carry some fish that often looks good as well as more Japanese fish like saba and hamachi. They'd also be the best bet for odd roes.

Beyond that, the Korean markets in Aurora and the Chinese/Vietnamese markets on Federal have very good selections of fish. Sushi-grade, I don't know. If mongo_jones reads this, he's been to these places more often, and knows more about fish, than I, so he'd have a better idea. I know Pac Merc used to get their prepared sushi from a place in the Komart, but I don't know if they do anymore.

Edited by TheMatt (log)

TheMatt

Learning just means you were wrong and they were right. - Aram

i don't buy sushi-grade fish and so haven't looked deeply into it. however, hanh ah reum in aurora (or for that matter, komart too) has fish already packaged for sushi--probably a much wider selection than you'd get at a whole foods. from the vietnamese markets on federal i've only ever bought whole fish--i don't know that they sell sushi grade fish or that i'd buy it from there. have never been to pacific mercantile--where is it again?

I was at Pacific Mercantile last week and bought a frozen chunk of "sushi grade" tuna. It looks awsome and is in a perfect shape for cutting sushi or sashimi slices. Since all tuna must be frozen before sale or service in the US, I think as long as I defrost it well (a couple days in the fridge) it should be fine. But I don't know yet. (BTW, there was an interesting article in the NYT food section a couple of weeks ago about most of the "cherry red" tuna being a result of carbon monoxide gassing, not freshness. The frozen chunk is pink.)

PM had several types of fresh fish that appeared "sushi grade" and several types of roe. There was someone behind the counter cutting up very fresh looking whole fish for the case. I also got some shiso leaf there that would be great for a sushi party. They also have a large selection of sushi tools/dinnerware/etc. Just going there will get you jazzed for your party!

I buy frozen precooked presauced prepackaged unagi at Asian Market in Boulder that I like just fine. I think they had the same brand at PM.

I was at Pacific Mercantile last week and bought a frozen chunk of "sushi grade" tuna. It looks awsome and is in a perfect shape for cutting sushi or sashimi slices. Since all tuna must be frozen before sale or service in the US, I think as long as I defrost it well (a couple days in the fridge) it should be fine. But I don't know yet. (BTW, there was an interesting article in the NYT food section a couple of weeks ago about most of the "cherry red" tuna being a result of carbon monoxide gassing, not freshness. The frozen chunk is pink.)

You can see this if you ever watch a something taped at Tsukiiji. Those blocks of tuna (and, heck, whole tuna) are pink.

PM had several types of fresh fish that appeared "sushi grade" and several types of roe. There was someone behind the counter cutting up very fresh looking whole fish for the case. I also got some shiso leaf there that would be great for a sushi party. They also have a large selection of sushi tools/dinnerware/etc. Just going there will get you jazzed for your party!

Yeah, you have to be careful. I mean, I know I'm gonna be paying for my rice, shoyu, et al. It's all those other things like their candy, or the dinnerware that pads the bill.

I buy frozen precooked presauced prepackaged unagi at Asian Market in Boulder that I like just fine. I think they had the same brand at PM.

Have you tried the unagi at the fish counter at Whole Foods? I find I like it just as good if not better than either canned or frozen unagi you seem to find in markets. Heck, I usually prepare it just by nuking it for a minute. Yes, microwave. I've heated it simmered in kabayaki sauce, but you know, the microwave tastes just as good and is faster.

TheMatt

I called PM yesterday and they assured me they have everything I could want. If they really have that wide of a selection I can see myself getting carried away and buying stuff I hadn't planned on - I'd better bring a list and limit myself!

I stopped by the just-opened "Asian Seafood Market" in Longmont last night, and the owner told me she was going to try to start getting fish from the Seattle Fish Company, but she's having trouble getting them to answer their phone, too. She took my number and said she'd call me when she gets delivery sorted out. I'm excited at the prospect of not having to go very far to satisfy future sushi cravings!

I called PM yesterday and they assured me they have everything I could want.  If they really have that wide of a selection I can see myself getting carried away and buying stuff I hadn't planned on - I'd better bring a list and limit myself!

Well, I hope they do have it all. I always like the place. Hmm...I do need more rice...

I stopped by the just-opened "Asian Seafood Market" in Longmont last night, and the owner told me she was going to try to start getting fish from the Seattle Fish Company, but she's having trouble getting them to answer their phone, too.  She took my number and said she'd call me when she gets delivery sorted out.  I'm excited at the prospect of not having to go very far to satisfy future sushi cravings!

Where is this market at? I'm always up for investigating new markets, but I hadn't heard of one opening in Longmont.

TheMatt

The new market opened on the corner of 2nd and Main, across from the turkey plant. It used to be a Mexican foods store. She doesn't have her fresh items stocked yet, but she seemed very eager to order items that her customers request. I'm always happy to see new speciality foods stores open in Longmont!

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions! I ended up getting my fish from Whole Foods in Boulder - they were extremely helpful and friendly, and the fish was wonderful. A friend picked up roe from Pacific Mercantile - she said the variety was amazing, and the quality of the roe was excellent as well. My sushi party was a great success!