• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Donburi

BON

I tried Hiroyuki's gyudon recipe tonight, with some alterations because I didn't have any mirin and didn't want to break open the mindo sized bottle of sake that has been residing in my liquor cabinet since time began.

It was a hit with my husband, my 7 year old son, and my 1 year old. My one year old was clammoring for the onions and meat more than the rice or benishoga.

Why, thank you! Do you mean you used sugar instead of mirin?

I tried Hiroyuki's gyudon recipe tonight, with some alterations because I didn't have any mirin and didn't want to break open the mindo sized bottle of sake that has been residing in my liquor cabinet since time began.

It was a hit with my husband, my 7 year old son, and my 1 year old. My one year old was clammoring for the onions and meat more than the rice or benishoga.

Why, thank you! Do you mean you used sugar instead of mirin?

Yeah, I just added sugar. Mom told me to just add some sugar along with the sake the recipe called for.

Mirin is expensive here.. almost $6 for a 10 fl oz bottle.

Cheryl

I made soboro for supper last night. My soboro (scrambled eggs and minced meat) are much less sweetened than usual ones.

Scrambled eggs: Seasoned with instant dashi powder and soy sauce.

Minced meat: Seasoned with equal amounts of mirin and soy sauce.

For soboro, minced chicken is usually used, but I often use minced pork, especially when it's on sale.

I made soboro don for lunch today with leftover soboro. Beni shoga is a must.

Here's a donburi I had at the Matsuya fast food chain in Asakusa. It's a Bibin-don, sort of a simplified version of Korean bibimbap. It's mostly yakiniku, kimchi, and egg over rice. Cheap and very tasty.

gallery_16207_4174_180202.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Can anyone tell me what the sauce they pour over the bowl of ten-don? It may just be tempura dipping sauce, but i don't think it is..

I'm not that familiar with regional Japanese, only the food around Kansai where I live. But the tendon I eat always just has the dipping sauce. :smile:

The picture looks different though. What is it?

Can anyone tell me what the sauce they pour over the bowl of ten-don? It may just be tempura dipping sauce, but i don't think it is..

I'm not that familiar with regional Japanese, only the food around Kansai where I live. But the tendon I eat always just has the dipping sauce. :smile:

The picture looks different though. What is it?

I'm a Kanto man and the tendon sauce is something like this.

• 4 months later...

I watched yesterday's edition of Hanamaru Market with great anticipation because it featured oyako-don, hoping to learn some good tips on making oyako-don, but I was disappointed.

http://www.tbs.co.jp/hanamaru/tokumaru/index-j.html

The recipe is like this:

Ingredients for 4 servings

300 g chicken (thigh or breast)

6 eggs

1/2 onion

3 bunches (stalks?) of mitsuba

4 bowls of rice

300 cc dashi

4 tbsp soy sauce

2 tbsp sugar

2 tbsp mirin

The recipe called for a frying pan (not an oyako nabe), and is for making oyako-don for 4 servings at once. The eggs were kind of thoroughly beaten, and 2/3 of it was poured, the ingredients were stirred lightly by moving a pair of chopsticks in a circle first and then moving it vertically and horizontally, and then the remaining 1/3 of the beaten eggs was poured. The pan was moved about to heat the ingredients evenly. Then, the heat was turned off, mitsuba was added, and a lid was placed for 3 minutes.

Far below my expectations!!

If you ever want to have restaurant-level oyako-don, get an oyako nabe ready, refrain from beating the eggs thoroughly, and once you pour the eggs, turn the heat high, put on the lid, and count 30 seconds. Quickly transfer the content to a donburi with rice in it. Et vola! You will get perfect oyako-don.

For more, click Japanese Cooking at Home thread.

A couple nights ago I made a wonderful shouga-yaki don. I apologize for the bad picture...

gallery_6134_4148_304114.jpg

I sliced pork tenderloin on the diagonal, salt, peppered, floured it and thenjust barely seared it. I then added to the pan 1:1:1 mix of soy sauce, sake and mirin with a large pinch of sugar and good grating of ginger. It took just a moment for the sauce to thicken then I placed some hot rice in a bowl topped it with baby spinach and red onions and topped it with the pork, adding extra sauce after the picture was taken. :biggrin:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

• 2 weeks later...

Apart from the couple of times we 'played' with making sushi rolls, this must be the first time I'm cooking japanese. I recently bought my first Japanese recipe book and also finally found mirin and instant dashi powder. So here I am....tonight's gyudon and salad (made by my 8yo daughter) with sesame seed dressing. :rolleyes:

gallery_12248_5321_89996.jpg

gallery_12248_5321_15929.jpg

Please excuse the rather large picture. I tried to delete it to replace with a smaller one but wasn't allowed to delete? :wink:

Yep...we're getting warmed up for our trip next month.

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

• 4 weeks later...

This was wonderful! I made this last weekend when my MIL was over for dinner, she actually called me a couple days later to get the recipe. :biggrin:

It is very simple just mix the sliced tuna (maguro) with soy sauce, wasabi, crumbled seaweed (nori), thin scallions and cooking oil (I used canola). The oil is the secret ingredient that gives it a nice smooth mouthfeel. This is a great place to use that cheap akami. Those are kaiware (daikon sprouts) on the side.

gallery_6134_4148_608834.jpg

I made tanin don for supper tonight.

gallery_16375_4595_207.jpg

Tanin don is the same as oyako don except that the meat used is not chicken but another meat, usually pork.

I used the 3:1:1 ratio for the dashi, soy sauce, and mirin.

Thus, for 3 servings:

300 ml dashi

100 ml soy sauce

100 ml mirin

1 onion

approx. 350 g thinly sliced pork

2 eggs per serving,

6 (= 2 x 3) in total

Edited to add: I later googled and found that beef is more common in Kansai (area in and around Osaka). Pork is more common in Kanto (area in and around Tokyo). I also found that in this dish is also called kaika don (開化丼) in Kanto. I'm a Kanto man, but I'm never heard of this word. :sad:

Edited by Hiroyuki (log)

• 4 weeks later...

Last night's dinner was sanshoku don 三色丼, sanshoku means three color. The topics can vary but you need to have 3 different colors. I made it with salmon flakes, nanohana (broccoli rabe) and iritamago (slightly sweetened scrambled eggs).

gallery_6134_5519_583997.jpg

• 9 months later...

I made Oyakodon for dinner tonight - I made the [extremely] westernised Japanese version, and used a KFC Zinger fillet for the Chicken portion.....

It was embarassingly good. :wub:

No pic unfortunately, but I might make this version again (just so I can photograph it, mind)

I actually don't really like katsudon. I think it is such a waste to deep-fry something and then cover it (or even simmer it!) in a sauce, thus ruining the crunch.

hahaha! this is an old post but its hilarious! i often feel the same way! sometimes when i order tempura udon i get disappointed if the place just dunks all the tempura into the soup...

"Bibimbap shappdy wappdy wap." - Jinmyo

I actually don't really like katsudon. I think it is such a waste to deep-fry something and then cover it (or even simmer it!) in a sauce, thus ruining the crunch.

hahaha! this is an old post but its hilarious! i often feel the same way! sometimes when i order tempura udon i get disappointed if the place just dunks all the tempura into the soup...

As I said in another thread, it's just a matter of variations in texture. I like crunchy tonkatsu, but that doesn't necessarily mean that I like it all the time. Sometimes I like to have katsu drenched in sauce. Suppose you make crunchy tonkatsu one day, you may want to have katsudon the next day.