• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Donburi

BON

I finally made the pork and kimchi donburi (豚キムチ丼) from Orange Page. It was really delicious and I will definitely be making it again, although I don't think I used enough kimchi.

121973361_205968f478.jpg

Jennie

• 5 months later...
Yoshinoya D&C Co. revived its popular bowls of "gyudon" beef on rice for one day only Friday to mark the first anniversary of the dish being pulled off the menu following Japan's ban on American beef imports due to mad cow disease.

Yoshinoya prepared 1.5 million gyudon bowls to be served at its 1,000 shops nationwide, using 150 tons of beef in the process. About 80 percent of the beef came from stocks of frozen U.S. beef and the remainder was Australian and Mexican beef, the company said.

the rest of the article

Yoshinoya has decided to do the same thing on September 18, but this time, one million bowls at 1,000 shops, and the price is slightly higher, around 300 yen kouhan, which means 350-400 yen?

Yoshinoya D&C Co. revived its popular bowls of "gyudon" beef on rice for one day only Friday to mark the first anniversary of the dish being pulled off the menu following Japan's ban on American beef imports due to mad cow disease.

Yoshinoya prepared 1.5 million gyudon bowls to be served at its 1,000 shops nationwide, using 150 tons of beef in the process. About 80 percent of the beef came from stocks of frozen U.S. beef and the remainder was Australian and Mexican beef, the company said.

the rest of the article

Yoshinoya has decided to do the same thing on September 18, but this time, one million bowls at 1,000 shops, and the price is slightly higher, around 300 yen kouhan, which means 350-400 yen?

The price has been set: 380 yen. They plan to continue to serve gyudon after September 18, but at limited shops and during limited dates and times.

• 2 weeks later...
Loco Moco Don...Originated in Hawaiian and gradually gaining its popularity in the mainland.

This was on the tray on which my Loco Moco Don was served. Instructions on how to eat it!

gallery_31440_3297_8341.jpg

Here's my attempt at translating:

1. Delicious way to eat #1. To eat like Junkosan: Start off by eating it like a regular donburi. Have one bite of each of the toppings. Then mix so that the sauce thoroughly covers the rice. This may look like bad manners, but this is the genuine way to eat Loco Moco!

2. Delicious way to eat #2. To eat like Tatsuosan: Start off by mixing everything together. You don't have to mix so evenly, just enough that the sauce blends with the rice a bit. Then mash the half-cooked egg yolk and eat! This creates a great harmony with the half-cooked egg, the toppings and the sauce.

On the left side is a brief description of Loco Moco. It says that "loco" is from "local" and that "moco" means "to mix." On top of the rice are a lot of toppings, such as hamburger and chicken. In its homeland Hawaii, it's a very popular dish. Mix well and eat! :laugh:

Sorry, I forgot to take a picture of the dish itself. :angry: I feel like Torakris discussed Loco Moco Don somewhere, but I can't find it...

Hmmm...here's the picture.

gallery_31440_3297_98404.jpg

This was on the tray on which my Loco Moco Don was served. Instructions on how to eat it!

Also, a small correction. I think that for eating method #2, it says that you should mix evenly (rather than not so evenly), until the sauce is blended with the rice.

Wow! Loco Moco was "born" here in Hilo, Hawai'i at Cafe 100!

Gee. I didn't know it needed instructions to eat, though. But to eat it true "Hilo-local-kine" style, you have to eat it with shoyu and mayo added to it too! (Not recommended for the faint of heart... actually, not recommended for your heart at all!)

Wow! Loco Moco was "born" here in Hilo, Hawai'i at Cafe 100! 

Gee. I didn't know it needed instructions to eat, though.  But to eat it true "Hilo-local-kine" style, you have to eat it with shoyu and mayo added to it too!  (Not recommended for the faint of heart... actually, not recommended for your heart at all!)

I like my Loco Moco with splashes of Tabasco!!! Ono!

Leave the gun, take the canoli

I am not a huge fan of the loco moco's gravy sauce, however this is actually quite hard to find in Japan. Most of the loco moco's I have eaten in Japan have more of a teriyaki like soy based sauce.

I make a bastardized version of loco moco at home with ground pork and a teriyaki sauce made with some pineapple juice, I often add either pineapple or avocado to the dish instead of an egg.

A couple days ago at Denny's I had an interesting cross between a loco moco and bibimbap, it is called a mazemaze bibimbap hamburger patty. Rice is served in one dish and the hamburger and namul are served in another, here is a picture.

It is actually quite good. :biggrin:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

A couple days ago at Denny's I had an interesting cross between a loco moco  and bibimbap, it is called a mazemaze bibimbap hamburger patty.

You left out the best part! Denny's calls it the "mazemaze bibimburg" (bibimbap + hamburg). :biggrin:

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

the rest of the article

Yoshinoya will do this again, from Nov. 1 through 5, this time.

For more, visit their webpage (Japanese only).

Yesterday it was oyakodon time.

I would like to share the way I prep'd it.

ingredients

1 X half chicken breast (mutant size)

2 X egg

3 X medium sized onion

150ml X dashi (~2/3 CUP, 1 TS instant dashi for 150ml water in my case)

1 TBSP mirin

1 TBSP sugar

3 TBSP soy sauce

1 TBSP cress (substitute for mitsuba)

1 CUP cooked japanese short grain rice

Oyakodon_01.jpg

first step is to chop the oninos, two into fine slices and one into rough slices,

save the rough slices for later and make nest of the fine slices in a small pan,

medium heat, the oninos should roast very slowly

Oyakodon_02.jpg

while the onions are browning, it's time to cube the chicken, I forgot to

take a pic of it, but place the cubed chicken onto the nest of sliced onions

in the heated pan, this is quite important because the weight of the chicken

will push down the onions, while increasing the contact surface between

onions and pan resulting in even more caramalization

the meantime can be used to prep the eggs and the broth, just crack the eggs

and mix whites and yolks, for the broth mix dashi, sugar, mirin and soy sauce

Oyakodon_03.jpg

add the broth mix and roughly sliced onions,

the broth must cover the chicken, DO NOT STIR

Oyakodon_04.jpg

let simmer until the broth reduced by at least a half, DO NOT STIR

Oyakodon_05.jpg

there should be still liquid when adding the egg mix, DO NOT STIR (poking is okay)

Oyakodon_06.jpg

let the egg mix set unitl the desired doneness kicks in, DO NOT STIR (poking is okay)

(I'm paranoid about salmonella, so it's "well done" for me)

Oyakodon_07.jpg

when the oyako is almost done, then it's time to prep the don,

just make a bed of rice in a bowl (size of the pan if possible)

Oyakodon_08.jpg

slide the content of the pan onto the rice, in one piece if possible,

topped with cress

Oyakodon_09.jpg

Oyakodon_10.jpg

The best part of eating it is when you reach the layer between

chicken/pan-facing-onions and rice, the remaing broth is dressing

the rice sligthly and the caramelized onions are showing up,

sorry no pics of that, I was really hungry and wolfed down the

whole bowl in a blink of an eye ^_^;

Feedback or comments?

Christian Z. aka ChryZ

[ 1337 3475 - LEET EATS ] Blog

let simmer until the broth reduced by at least a half, DO NOT STIR

Very good job, ChryZ, as usual. :biggrin:

Any particular reason why you reduce the broth that much?

(I'm paranoid about salmonella, so it's "well done" for me)

Sorry to hear that. I can eat eggs raw, like most Japanese.

By the way, have you ever tried tanin don (pork used instead of chicken)? :biggrin:

Very good job, ChryZ, as usual. :biggrin:

Any particular reason why you reduce the broth that much?

Thanks. I like to keep the liquid on a sauce-like level, I'm not too fond of overly soggy rice.

Sorry to hear that.  I can eat eggs raw, like most Japanese.

By the way, have you ever tried tanin don (pork used instead of chicken)? :biggrin:

Oh, I can eat raw egg. I'm just careful, maybe too careful ... but my experience with food poisoning

messed me up a little. I know about tanindon, but I haven't tried it yet. Isn't tanindon usually prepared with beef?

Christian Z. aka ChryZ

I know about tanindon, but I haven't tried it yet. Isn't tanindon usually prepared with beef?

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I'm a Kanto (Eatern Japan) man, born and bred in Tokyo, so when I hear the word niku (meat), I associate it with pork. In Kansai (Western Japan), people associate it with beef. There are many cultural differences between Kanto and Kansai.

• 4 weeks later...

So I cooked:

Sake Teriyaki Donburi

Sake_Teriyaki_Donburi_12.jpg

Rice bowl with teriyaki salmon, swiss chard with miso/sesame dressing and hot korean chili paste braised veggies. Not a classic donburi combo, this arrangement is something that I came up with. It sports some nice flavours that work very well together.

I've already posted this at the cooking/dinner! thread, but I'm also keen to hear what you guys are thinking about it.

Christian Z. aka ChryZ

Looks delicious, ChryZ!

As someone in a rice-producing district, I'm interested to hear the rice variety you used. I'd also like to know what kind of teriyaki sauce it was. Store-bought or home-made? If home-made, what are the ingredients?

Looks delicious, ChryZ!

As someone in a rice-producing district, I'm interested to hear the rice variety you used.  I'd also like to know what kind of teriyaki sauce it was.  Store-bought or home-made?  If home-made, what are the ingredients?

Thanks!

Hm, the rice variety? I can't remember the brand. It's japanese short grain rice. I've bought it at a local japanese supermarket. It came in a white 10kg bag, I moved it to some other kind of container and discarded the bag. Here is a bigger pic, you might be able to spot more details.

To be honest the teriyaki sauce was from kikkoman. I've used home-made (soy,sake,mirin,sugar) before, but gone back to store-bought for convenience.

Christian Z. aka ChryZ

Looks delicious, ChryZ!

As someone in a rice-producing district, I'm interested to hear the rice variety you used.  I'd also like to know what kind of teriyaki sauce it was.  Store-bought or home-made?  If home-made, what are the ingredients?

Thanks!

Hm, the rice variety? I can't remember the brand. It's japanese short grain rice. I've bought it at a local japanese supermarket. It came in a white 10kg bag, I moved it to some other kind of container and discarded the bag. Here is a bigger pic, you might be able to spot more details.

To be honest the teriyaki sauce was from kikkoman. I've used home-made (soy,sake,mirin,sugar) before, but gone back to store-bought for convenience.

Thanks for a bigger photo, but even a rice sommelier couldn't tell the variety from that picture. :biggrin:

But a 10-kg bag?? :shock: Do you eat rice regularly?? Just for your reference, my family of four uses up a 10-kg bag in about two weeks, and we are regular eaters of rice (except for lunch sometimes).

Thanks for a bigger photo, but even a rice sommelier couldn't tell the variety from that picture. :biggrin:

But  a 10-kg bag?? :shock:  Do you eat rice regularly??  Just for your reference, my family of four uses up a 10-kg bag in about two weeks, and we are regular eaters of rice (except for lunch sometimes).

Not as regularly as your family, however I do eat a lot more rice than your average European person. I like to cycle my staple carbs.

Christian Z. aka ChryZ

ChryZ,

It looks delicious! I am curious if you eat it more bibimbap style (mixing it all together) or eat each piece seperately. I am one of those odd adults who still doesn't like my food to touch.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

ChryZ,

It looks delicious! I am curious if you eat it more bibimbap style (mixing it all together) or eat each piece seperately. I am one of those odd adults who still doesn't like my food to touch.

Thanks, I really appreciate it.

How uncanny, that you've mentioned bibimbap. I was thinking about that, while eating the dish. At first I sampled and enjoyed all items by themselves, but towards the end there is some inevitable bibimbap'ing action going on at the intersection ... and the mix of all items was truely delicious!

I guess most people here know how to do teriyaki and miso/sesame dressing, however the korean twist goes like this:

hot korean gochujang braised veggies:

1/3 X cucumber (exchangeable with zucchini, swiss chard stems, green pepper, etc)

1 X handful soybean sprouts (optional)

1 TBSP gochujang

2 TBSP thai fish sauce, anchovies stock or strong ichiban dashi

2 TBSP mirin

2 TBSP rice wine

1 TBSP honey

1 TSP roasted sesame

combine all ingredients in a small pan, except the sprouts and sesame

Sake_Teriyaki_Donburi_03.jpg

bring to boil for a minute or two, then reduce heat to simmer and let it braise away

Sake_Teriyaki_Donburi_04.jpg

just drop the sprouts on top when almost done

Sake_Teriyaki_Donburi_08.jpg

check back 5 min before serving, if it's too runny crank up the heat and evaporate some

liquid until there is just a thick syrup-like sauce left, this will take just a moment

Sake_Teriyaki_Donburi_11.jpg

plate it and garnish with some sesame and a drizzle of roasted sesame oil

Christian Z. aka ChryZ