• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Donburi

BON

again, to confirm, in the u.s. spiciness is created using sriracha sauce.

often it is as simple as mixing sriracha to taste with some mayonaise. you can skip the mayo part though and use it straight.

"Bibimbap shappdy wappdy wap." - Jinmyo

• 2 weeks later...

I picked this up in Tokyu department store basement

gallery_6134_1003_45796.jpg

a chicken katsu with slivered onions, umeboshi paste, shiso and a grated daikon sauce

It would have been much better if I had kept the sauce off, it was thick, gloppy and flavorless.... :angry:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

• 1 month later...

There are some pseudo-Japanese restaurants in the NYC often used chili powder of paste to mask the unfreshness of the days old sashima. I hate to play the devil's advocate but just trying to look out for you fine folks here.

Cheers,

AzianBrewer

Leave the gun, take the canoli

• 5 weeks later...

I'm putting in my vote for Katsudon as favorite! This is a little off topic but ever since I read Banana Yoshimoto's novel "Kitchen", I had to try it :) can anyone else think of a book that described a food so good that you had to try it?

Anyway I'm not a big fan of the traditional Katsudon that I've tried in various Japanese restaurants. They've been too sweet and/or the crispy pork cutlet too soaked in the broth The way I like to make it at home is to prepare like normal but put the hot rice and broth in the bowl, then top it with crispy pork... mmmm my mouth is watering right now.

ngr00, welcome to eGullet!

I read Kitchen such a long time I can't remember how she described the katsudon. I have had some bad katsudon as well, I never order it anywhere in the US anymore as it tends to be overly sweet. In Japan I often find it too salty... :sad:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

ngr00, welcome to eGullet!

I read Kitchen such a long time I can't remember how she described the katsudon. I have had some bad katsudon as well, I never order it anywhere in the US anymore as it tends to be overly sweet. In Japan I often find it too salty... :sad:

Thanks Torakris. From Kitchen: "This katsudon, encountered almost by accident, was made with unusual skill, I must say. Good quality meat, excellent broth, the eggs and onions handled beautifully, the rice with just the right degree of firmness to hold up the broth--it was flawless." I'm disappointed that you haven't found the perfect Katsudon in Japan either. I won't give up the hope though :laugh: at least I can make it myself - I just wanted to see what it's really supposed to be like when done perfectly.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a restaurant here that serves donburi with a French twist....foie gras donburi. Sauteed foie gras is combined with various Japanese mushrooms (shiitake, enoki and shimeji) in a wonderful basalmic flavored sauce. Rich but wonderful.

• 6 months later...

I made gyudon for dinner on Friday night, following a recipe from one of the sites Hiroyuki linked in the cooking video thread. It was very simple to make and very delicious. I am not sure I translated the recipe exactly right, but here is my translation in case anyone else would like to make it. It's probably easier just to watch the video, though! When I say tablespoons below, I mean the Japanese 15ml tablespoons.

Ingredients for 4 servings.

Cooked rice, 800g

Sliced beef, 280g

Onion (yellow bulb type), 1 medium

Green onions, 2 pieces

Seasoning broth:

Dashi, 1 cup

Soy sauce, 3 1/2 tablespoons

Mirin, 2 tablespoons

Sake, 2 tablespoons

Sugar, 1 tablespoon

Cut the onion in half and slice thinly. Cut the root off of the green onions and slice into 3-4cm lengths. Cut the beef into 3-4cm wide pieces.

Put the mirin and sake into a pot and put on a burner. Once it reaches a boil, add the sugar, soy sauce, and dashi. When the mixture is boiling, add the onion. Once the onion has softened, add the beef.  Cook, separating the beef slices with chopsticks(?).

Once the beef is cooked, add the green onions and cook. Put the cooked rice in a bowl. Place the beef and onion mixture on top.

Here is a picture of the finished dish. My camera is going bad, so the picture isn't very good.

118223004_ce83aa0c7a_o.jpg

Jennie

... it has 37mg of cholesterol in a 1 tablespoon serving. I have no idea if that is high or not though... :hmmm:

The average large tamago (egg - see, I do practice :laugh: ) contains about 215mg of cholesterol. I had a heart attack last year, and the doctors say I should have no more than 3-4 eggs per week.

The average recommendation for regular folk is about 200-300mg cholesterol per day.

Gimme that uni now !! :biggrin:

Thanks, Kris. The beef was really good quality. I think it was probably ribeye, but the taste was excellent. I only made two servings and used about 100g of beef but it still added so much flavor to the dish. Even my picky boyfriend thought it tasted really good.

Tonight I think I am going to make the buta-kimuchi donburi I found in the Orange Page (finally)....

Jennie

You did it! :biggrin:

Cook, separating the beef slices with chopsticks(?).

No ? is necessary. With chopsticks. Did you notice the "One Point" video after the recipe video? That video says overcooking beef will make it tough, so separate the slices with chopsticks to cook them quickly. I wonder if you have a pair of cooking chopsticks called saibashi.

Yes, I have a pair of saibashi that I bought for US $0.99... they're 45cm long! It's still hard for me to use them, so I have to practice more!

Is the "One Point"/ワンポイント a popular theme in Japanese magazines and web sites? Now that I've noticed it on that site, I have seen it in the Orange Page several times as well.

Jennie

Yes, I have a pair of saibashi that I bought for US $0.99... they're 45cm long!  It's still hard for me to use them, so I have to practice more!

Is the "One Point"/ワンポイント a popular theme in Japanese magazines and web sites?  Now that I've noticed it on that site, I have seen it in the Orange Page several times as well.

I think so. People here often talk about "One Point Advice" ワンポイントアドバイス and "One Point Hinto (Hint)". :biggrin:

No, I didn't! I forgot to buy the beni shouga while I was at the store. I'll be making gyudon again soon (I still have two slices of beef in my freezer) and I'll be sure to buy the beni shouga before I do.

Jennie

No, I didn't!  I forgot to buy the beni shouga while I was at the store.  I'll be making gyudon again soon (I still have two slices of beef in my freezer) and I'll be sure to buy the beni shouga before I do.

Sorry, I must admit that I was a little emotional when I wrote my last post here... :sad::biggrin: , but I really love beni shouga on top of gyuudon, and that's the main reason why I like Yoshinoya! There you can have as much beni shouga as you want! A friend once laughed at me, saying "It's not gyuudon but beni shouga don!". :biggrin:

Gyuudon! Ah! I haven't had that in a while! Your gyuudon looks good! You used ribeye for gyuudon though!? That seems a little extravagant for gyuudon, but then again, I've done that when beef prices were low enough! :biggrin: