• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

wd-50 2004 - 2007

flinflon28

We used a pacojet for all our ice creams at Spice Market, but they weren't nearly as consistant as what I had tonight. Maybe its just the wine pairing speaking, but I was really impressed by the smooth uniformity of texture in all the ice creams and sorbets at WD.

This might be transglutaminase, the same enzyme from the shrimp pasta. It is supposed to have a creaminess effect on ice creams.

Edited by MobyP (log)

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

We used a pacojet for all our ice creams at Spice Market, but they weren't nearly as consistant as what I had tonight. Maybe its just the wine pairing speaking, but I was really impressed by the smooth uniformity of texture in all the ice creams and sorbets at WD.

This might be transglutaminase, the same enzyme from the shrimp pasta. It is supposed to have a creaminess effect on ice creams.

Man, ....that would come as a bit of surprise to me, having seen some of recipes in print and the ingredients he does use.

Making a decent recipe is very important, of course, but the serving temp., etc., is going to have a HUGE effect on creamiss, shine, etc.

Also: Does anyone have an idea when that 2nd season of ICAmerica starts?

Thanks!!!

2317/5000

According to the Food Network, new episodes air in July!

"To invite a person to your house is to take charge of his (her) happiness for as long as he is under your roof."

Brillat Savarin

You don't have to like everything I make, but you still have to eat it.

A Co-Worker from Work

I swear that it looked like him. On their website, there is a pic of him and Chef Mason. The description fits to a tee my friend. :biggrin: Plus the staff wears the same aprons as appears on the Iron Chef promo!!

Or it could be a celebrity look alike!! :laugh:

"To invite a person to your house is to take charge of his (her) happiness for as long as he is under your roof."

Brillat Savarin

A Co-Worker from Work

I have a reservation for 4 people on Sundary, June 26th. I thought this restaurant would fit the bill. My sister is visiting from North Carolina for the weekend. My sister's friend and my mom are also going. Do you think this qualifies as an intersting place, considering they love Nobu?

I thought that this would be unique since they like trendy places! I know that it isn't a traditional fancy restaurant in NYC. They like casual also! Hopefully, my company agrees with me or I am SOL! :unsure:

Brillat Savarin

A Co-Worker from Work

Sounds like you picked an appropriate spot. The atmosphere is very casual, the well-lit open kitchen makes for a cool/hip vibe, and the servers are generally really friendly.

I'm not sure I would draw any comparisons to Nobu (personally I much prefer WD...Nobu is great but if you've eaten there a couple times you've pretty much eaten the menu), but the cusine is very engaging and somewhat challenging. Perfect for young, adventureous foodies.

FYI,

I had the pleasure of dining at WD-50 for the second time last this past weekend and it was sensational. Chef Wylie and Chef Mason were both off (Sunday night), but Dewey Dufresne more than made up for that with his wit and know how. The kitchen threw down on about 20 different dishes, all of which were mind blowing. All we need now is another outpost to open in Chicago!

Regards,

ChefGEB

Graham Elliot

@grahamelliot

www.grahamelliot.com

My impression is that WD-50 is more interesting than trendy. Perhaps, we may be using "trendy" differently. I think of a trendy place as one where the food is very secondary to the ambience. I don't think Dufresne gets a lot of diners interested in being seen or in seeing who else is there. They go mostly for the food. Of course there are still people who have to go at least once just because of what they've heard of it.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

My impression is that WD-50 is more interesting than trendy. Perhaps, we may be using "trendy" differently. I think of a trendy place as one where the food is very secondary to the ambience. I don't think Dufresne gets a lot of diners interested in being seen or in seeing who else is there. They go mostly for the food. Of course there are still people who have to go at least once just because of what they've heard of it.

I stand corrected Bux! I meant "trendy" as different and newer instead of traditional. It definately is a food destination, not a place to see and be seen like Tao, or some other Sex and the City place. However, the dining room is interesting as are the photographs of the bathroom. So in a sense, it is different and hip.

I believe there are differnet kinds of diners: those who are hip, those on HIP, and those with a broken hip. Here is something to think about. Maybe I am using the word "hip" wrong! :hmmm:

Brillat Savarin

A Co-Worker from Work

I've made a reservation at WD-50 for July 1st for 2 (anniversary and hubby's b-day) plus sleeping baby, and can not wait. It seems as if the restaruant has become more consistent with time (the early posts had mixed reviews) and the food seems to be really interesting.

I'd really like to try the tasting menu, but am concerned about the amount of food (i.e., don't want gourmand hubby to be complaining about being hungry after the meal). Do any of you think that this will be a problem?

. . .  the shrimp noodles . . .

At one of the butcher shops I frequent in Chinatown, I've noticed some noodlelike seafood product. It appeared freshly made, rather than packaged. I think there's been something in this thread or another about Wylie's noodles bearing some resemblance to surimi, the Japanese process that brings us "sea legs" and other ersatz crab. There's a whole range of traditional Japanese and Chinese fish and seafood products and to some extent they share a family resemblance to to fish pates and gefulte fish.

Anyway, I had and enjoyed that dish at WD-50 but was mildly disappointed in the fact that the "noodles" didn't act very noodly. That is to say, the didn't slither on the plate, but were rather stiff and stuck together. They formed a mass rather than acting like strands that could be twirled on a fork.

The night I went, a few weeks ago, the shrimp noodles had been replaced by a shrimp cannelloni dish. I marveled at the cannelloni and was very impressed. In cannelloni form the shrimp + TGA was definitely pasta-like and had a nice bite. But what really got me was the chorizo emulsion that was served along with the dish. I couldn’t get enough of it.

Then there was the foie gras with the liquid center, which one of the staff members said had been developed by WD with the help of some people at Mars. I was suspicious at first, but you know me... I can't stay mad at foie for long...

The lamb belly… whoa!

While I was expecting to marvel at the shrimp noodles and they had been a big part of my reason for paying a visit, I left amazed at the wonderful weird things I ate.

That WD is just a plain ol’ badass.

I've made a reservation at WD-50 for July 1st for 2 (anniversary and hubby's b-day) plus sleeping baby, and can not wait.  It seems as if the restaruant has become more consistent with time (the early posts had mixed reviews) and the food seems to be really interesting.

I'd really like to try the tasting menu, but am concerned about the amount of food (i.e., don't want gourmand hubby to be complaining about being hungry after the meal).  Do any of you think that this will be a problem?

You're worried about too little food? As I recall, some of the dishes are very small, but there were enough courses and enough food for me by the end of the meal. Then again, I'm more apt to complain about dishes that are too large, than about not getting enough food.

I'll let you know. I'm going back before you get there. It will be the first time for my wife. If she eats everything, your husband may be hungry. :biggrin:

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

I have never left there hungry. I'm never bloated either. Just satisfied. :cool:

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I have never left there hungry. I'm never bloated either. Just satisfied. :cool:

I had the nine-course degustation menu several weeks ago. I agree with doc: it's a full meal, but you don't feel like you're going to explode (as you sometimes do with tasting menus). I think the tasting menu at $95 plus the paired wines at $45 has got to be one of the better fine dining deals I've encountered in the city.

WD-50 might be a good candidate for promotion to three stars, especially when compared to nearby 71 Clinton, which has two.

Unfortunately, I had to cancel my reservation for Sunday because of family matters: my sister and friend are going to a bridal shower and they will be too tired. :sad: So, it's not going to work out this time. Maybe next month or so!! :rolleyes:

Brillat Savarin

A Co-Worker from Work

• 3 weeks later...

I stopped by last night for a quick snack before heading out to the bars. Got to try the new foie preparation from the a la carte menu (there's another new one on the tasting menu, too). This time, it's roasted and served with passionfruit scramble, saltine puree, and candied coriander seeds. I really liked this preparation--much more subtle than the previous iteration with the nori caramel. It let the foie speak out a little more. The passionfruit scramble literally has the appearance and mouthfeel of scrambled eggs. According to the server, it was made using cellulose.

I also tried a couple of desserts. You must run, not walk, down to WD-50 NOW, and try the local strawberries with parmesan ice cream. What an eye opener of a flavor combination. Even my neophyte friend, who was initially a bit squeamish about the parmesan ice cream, thought it was out and out terrific. On a side note: I'm not sure if I'm the only one who noticed, but the local strawberries are quite remarkable this year. Even the ones I get where I work have have just been fantastic; like idealized versions of what strawberries should be. The other dessert was called "rice and beans"...basically toasted puffed rice flavored ice cream and red bean gelee. How Sam got the ice cream to taste exactly like puffed rice is beyond me. I'm convinced that you could ask him to make an ice cream that tasted like dryer sheets and lawn clippings; somehow he'd be able to crank it out, and it would be damn good, too.

Seriously though, I love this restaurant. It's one of the few restaurants that manages to be challenging and fun at the same time. I've heard some say that Wylie should turn the place into a more formal sort of restaurant. To me, the reason why WD-50 works is because the vibe present in the cuisine is also present in all other aspects of the restaurant--from the decor down to the service. I mean, the food would taste just as good whether it was served in a McDonalds or ADNY, but I wouldn't want to eat it anywhere else other than WD-50 the way it is. Does that make any sense?

Nothing to see here.

[...]I'm convinced that you could ask him to make an ice cream that tasted like dryer sheets and lawn clippings;  somehow he'd be able to crank it out, and it would be damn good, too.[...]

Yuck! :shock:

Still, with the increasing mountain of raves about WD-50, my resistance to risking big bucks on a restaurant that serves peculiar-sounding combinations of food is weakening. :laugh:

Michael aka "Pan"

I guess if strawberries and aged balsalmic vinegar can work, so can parmigiano reggiano. I guess that's just plain Italian!!

Grass clippings and dryer sheets might be rather tasty too!

How about trash bags and used cat litter?? :laugh:

Brillat Savarin

A Co-Worker from Work

I stopped by last night for a quick snack before heading out to the bars.  Got to try the new foie preparation from the a la carte menu (there's another new one on the tasting menu, too).  This time, it's roasted and served with passionfruit scramble, saltine puree, and candied coriander seeds.  I really liked this preparation--much more subtle than the previous iteration with the nori caramel.  It let the foie speak out a little more.  The passionfruit scramble literally has the appearance and mouthfeel of scrambled eggs.  According to the server, it was made using cellulose. 

I also tried a couple of desserts.  You must run, not walk, down to WD-50 NOW, and try the local strawberries with parmesan ice cream.  What an eye opener of a flavor combination.  Even my neophyte friend, who was initially a bit squeamish about the parmesan ice cream, thought it was out and out terrific.  On a side note: I'm not sure if I'm the only one who noticed, but the local strawberries are quite remarkable this year.  Even the ones I get where I work have have just been fantastic; like idealized versions of what strawberries should be.  The other dessert was called "rice and beans"...basically toasted puffed rice flavored ice cream and red bean gelee.  How Sam got the ice cream to taste exactly like puffed rice is beyond me.  I'm convinced that you could ask him to make an ice cream that tasted like dryer sheets and lawn clippings;  somehow he'd be able to crank it out, and it would be damn good, too. 

Seriously though, I love this restaurant.  It's one of the few restaurants that manages to be challenging and fun at the same time.  I've heard some say that Wylie should turn the place into a more formal sort of restaurant.  To me, the reason why WD-50 works is because the vibe present in the cuisine is also present in all other aspects of the restaurant--from the decor down to the service.  I mean, the food would taste just as good whether it was served in a McDonalds or ADNY, but I wouldn't want to eat it anywhere else other than WD-50 the way it is. Does that make any sense?

Word. This is my favorite restaurant in NYC. I would not want them to change it. It is just about perfect as is.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

:biggrin: Its Wylie

As this regards Wylie being on ICA, the episode schedule on FTV doesn't include him.

Anyone have any news on this?

Thanks

PS : i heartoffal... your reports are so great!

I can't wait to get back there and eat.

Got to get goin...

2317/5000

I stopped by last night for a quick snack before heading out to the bars.  Got to try the new foie preparation from the a la carte menu (there's another new one on the tasting menu, too).  This time, it's roasted and served with passionfruit scramble, saltine puree, and candied coriander seeds.  I really liked this preparation--much more subtle than the previous iteration with the nori caramel.  It let the foie speak out a little more.  The passionfruit scramble literally has the appearance and mouthfeel of scrambled eggs.  According to the server, it was made using cellulose. 

I also tried a couple of desserts.  You must run, not walk, down to WD-50 NOW, and try the local strawberries with parmesan ice cream.  What an eye opener of a flavor combination.  Even my neophyte friend, who was initially a bit squeamish about the parmesan ice cream, thought it was out and out terrific.  On a side note: I'm not sure if I'm the only one who noticed, but the local strawberries are quite remarkable this year.  Even the ones I get where I work have have just been fantastic; like idealized versions of what strawberries should be.  The other dessert was called "rice and beans"...basically toasted puffed rice flavored ice cream and red bean gelee.  How Sam got the ice cream to taste exactly like puffed rice is beyond me.  I'm convinced that you could ask him to make an ice cream that tasted like dryer sheets and lawn clippings;  somehow he'd be able to crank it out, and it would be damn good, too. 

Seriously though, I love this restaurant.  It's one of the few restaurants that manages to be challenging and fun at the same time.  I've heard some say that Wylie should turn the place into a more formal sort of restaurant.  To me, the reason why WD-50 works is because the vibe present in the cuisine is also present in all other aspects of the restaurant--from the decor down to the service.  I mean, the food would taste just as good whether it was served in a McDonalds or ADNY, but I wouldn't want to eat it anywhere else other than WD-50 the way it is. Does that make any sense?

Word. This is my favorite restaurant in NYC. I would not want them to change it. It is just about perfect as is.

Am going to do a full report on this later but couldn't let the foie perparation on the tasting pass without immediate comment. Eat there on the 3rd then went back to talk to Wylie on the 5th. The foie with beet juice, pea soil and candied olives is a taste and texture adventure from the word go, it is one of those dishes that will stick in my memory on my death bed, and now I have the technique will probably ask someone to cook it for my final meal.

As for the restaurant chnaging, Wylie showed no sign of wanting to change anything except general food evolution, cas I for one would not approve of formality in such a fun, well executed environment. I am not saying that you shouldn't look and feel the part when dining out, but if clean jeans and t-shirt are your thing that day then why not? "proper attire required" my AR**.

sorry, a bit ranty there. will review the other 11 courses sometime in the next couple of days, providing a proffesional comparison to the fat duck as Bux has asked.

good luck

Alex.

after all these years in a kitchen, I would have thought it would become 'just a job'

but not so, spending my time playing not working

www.e-senses.co.uk