• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Do you buy your Indian spices online?

Monica Bhide

Hey -- do folks buy Indian spices online... any favorites? Do tell.

Since there are so many good Indian grocers in New York, I don't place orders for spices online. Recently I found a site that lists both on line and regional Indian stores. Thought may be someone might find this useful.

http://www.cuisinecuisine.com/IndianGrocer....htm#NEW%20YORK

Ammini Ramachandran

www.Peppertrail.com

I buy a lot from Kalustyan's, both online and whenever I'm in NYC. They have everything!

I've also purchased spices from Penzeys, but I'm not sure if I've ever purchased Indian spices.

Diana Burrell, freelance writer/author

The Renegade Writer's Query Letters That Rock (Marion Street Press, Nov. 2006)

DianaCooks.com

My eGullet blog

The Renegade Writer Blog

I hare found Kalustyan's to be overpriced, especially considering the relatively puny amounts you get for your money....

An excellent online store is based in Milwaukee. It's called www.ishopindian.com and it even supplies fresh curry leaves! :wink:

For my dalia fix (as in, roasted chana dal) , I have shopped at www.spicesgalore1.com. They have always bestowed excellent service.

I'm somewhat turned off by Penzey's.

I'm somewhat turned off by Penzey's.

If I may ask, why? Dissatisfied with their spices, the service, or something else?

"The dinner table is the center for the teaching and practicing not just of table manners but of conversation, consideration, tolerance, family feeling, and just about all the other accomplishments of polite society except the minuet." - Judith Martin (Miss Manners)

I have used namaste.com. I have heard that Tony's Spices online is also very good..

others??

www.patelbrothersusa.com also has great variety and reasonable prices.

I think it depends on the area that you live in. In Northern Va, in the last 4-5 years, the number of Indo/Pak grocery stores has tripled, if not more. Just within our regular driving range around Dulles area, there are more than a dozen, so we never felt any need to order online. Also with other ethnic stores, like Korean & Latino, there is a greater availability of Indian green vegetables/fruits also (e.g. lotus roots, lychee etc.)

True about the stores Deliad. I was asking for all the people who write in and ask me. Also a few students of mine are leaving this area and moving to (one in particular) a place where there are no ethnic stores in a acceptable vicinity.. I think this list will help them a lot

thanks all and if you think of more suggestions, please do post them here.

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice