• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Well-stocked beer retailers in NJ, PA?

helenas

I buy mostly in Pa, De, but have also bought alot of beer at Shangy's in Emmaus, Pa, near Allentown.They have an selection of beers from all the world.Lots of Belgians, American, etc.They only sell by the case however.If you are really into beer this is definetly worth a drive.

The Beer Yard in Wayne, PA (outside of Philly) carries a good selection of mostly interesting brews with a nice selection of mid-atlantics (Dogfish, Heavyweight, etc) plus Belgians. Also by the case only, but the folks there are very knowledgable.

I second the Shangy's and Beer Yard suggestions. A way around the buy by the case requirement--find a few friends to go in on a multiple case purchase, then split the cost and mix/match the beer.

Canal's, with a bunch of Burlington and Camden county locations, is hit or miss with their beer selection. Generally, the stores on Rt 73 and Rt 70 in Marlton have pretty good selections.

Cook's Liquors in Westmont and Voorhees Discount Liquors have some good stuff, too.

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

• 2 months later...

So we finally made to Beer Yard.

I put together a long shopping list completely missing the warning about selling by case nature of their business and even brought a camera looking forward to making pictures of endless shelves stocked with the best microbrews in the country :rolleyes: Well, no shelves and quite unpicturesque set up of some warehouse however small, but the selection was staggering, and we got almost everything on my list.

It also helped that there were several variety cases: we got Stoudts and Great Divide and Stone. Also case of each: Rogue's Morimoto Hazelnut, Three Flouds Alpha Dog and Victory Old Horizontal.

Man, i've hardly ever spent this kind of money while shopping at Wine Library :shock: But considering how much we enjoyed everything we tried so far this is money very well spent!

Not in NJ or PA, but not too far out of the way either is State Line Liquors in Elkton, MD (Right across the border from Newark, DE). They have a great selection of microbrews, belgians, wines, and hard liquor with very good prices as well.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

I second State Line Liquors in Elkton Maryland. What impresses me at State Line is not only the wide variey of breweries represented, but also the wide selection available from each brewery.

In central PA near Danville is a distributor called Maloney's, just east of Danville on Rt. 11. Maloney's always has a good selection from both macro and micro-breweries.

Within the city of Philadelphia, I like going to Society Hill Beverages which is located near third and Washington Ave in South Philadelphia. They also have a good selection of micros and international beers as well.

When I go to NJ it is usually to the W. Trenton area, near Mercer County Airport. whenever I am there I try to visit Circle Liquors:

Route 31 & Pennington Circle

Pennington, New Jersey, 08534

phone: (609) 737-0358

They have quite a selection of import beer and a good chunk of regionals are represented, too. They have a cavernous wine area as well. My only complaint is that sometimes the 'help' is not too helpful. The plus side to that is that they leave me alone to peruse all the beer!

Bob R in OKC

Home Brewer, Beer & Food Lover!

Today, Bell Beverage (Front St, Philadelphia, around the corner from Tony Luke's) had Hop Devil and Prima Pils on sale for $19.99/case. :smile::smile: This is the first time I've ever seen them on sale.

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

Just over the PA/DE border, off I-95 in Delaware, is a Total Wine & More. They sell individual bottles of a lot of different stuff, you can mix and match a 6-pack, case, or whatever. They carry at least a hundred different beers, as well as many 750ml bottles. The Foodery, at 10th and Pine streets in center city Philly, is also a great place. Everything there is refrigerated, so you can try them right away if you're going out to dinner at a BYO. They are also the only place I know of in the city where you can buy individual bottles.

StateLine in Elkton, Md is excellent.Very knowledable staff, Robert is the "beer guy" and really knows his stuff.They have great selection and great prices.Also, excellent for wine.

My favorite is not in New Jersey (my former home - exit 8) but rather in my current home out here in the hinterlands.

With over 450 labels in stock, John's is hard to beat. Good news for you easterners, they ship from their website atwww.johnsgrocery.com

Doug Alberhasky runs the Beer Room, and Wally the Wine Guy has a stellar selection of his own.

Tell'em I sent ya!

Peace,

kmf

www.KurtFriese.com

Helena, if you're ever in Philadelphia, you should check out the Foodery at 10th and Pine. As far as I know, it's the best retail beer store in the city. They have a very large selection, and while they aren't cheap, you don't have to buy by the case (or even by the six; you can put together mixed sixes).

StateLine in Elkton, Md is excellent.Very knowledable staff, Robert is the "beer guy" and really knows his stuff.They have great selection and great prices.Also, excellent for wine.

And as an added bonus: they also sell very good cheese, and have quite a collection of bizarre/gourmet snacks/nuts/sauces.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide