• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Akiko

Jap Chae Noodles

32 posts in this topic

I made japchae just this weekend and used the correct, Korean-style noodle. I had success with the method described on the packet, which called for soaking the noodles for eight minutes in about a litre of boiled water. Worked a treat, and they weren't overcooked. My Korean friend also swears by a little soy sauce in the cooking water.

So what are the differences between the Malony potato-starch noodles and actual Jap Chae?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Malony is a product name, and is a type of harusame in Japanese(dangmyeon in Korean). Malony is firm in texture, and won't melt in nabe.

Japchae is the name of a dish made from dangmyeon, right?

That depends on your preference! I prefer regular harumame.

That packet of potato starch noodles has been falling off the top shelf on a regular basis in the pantry for a couple years. I decided to address it today. Of course I had no spinach, no scallions, and no tree ear mushrooms. I did a pantry version with white onion, cremini mushroom, and carrot for the vegetable and added garlic chive and cilantro (non traditional). The version I get from my local Korean mart does not contain sesame seeds though online recipes tend to. I smashed some dry roasted peanuts and added them for the nutty element. I did use a good soy and sesame oil as well as piloncillo for the sugar element. Had some frozen little chilis from last years crop so I briefly warmed them in some plain white vinegar to add as a condiment. I like this dish at room temp. This version is quite enjoyable.

005.JPG

010.JPG

008.JPG

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0