• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jap Chae Noodles

So they're potato-starch noodles but not jap chae? Interesting.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I made japchae just this weekend and used the correct, Korean-style noodle. I had success with the method described on the packet, which called for soaking the noodles for eight minutes in about a litre of boiled water. Worked a treat, and they weren't overcooked. My Korean friend also swears by a little soy sauce in the cooking water.

So what are the differences between the Malony potato-starch noodles and actual Jap Chae?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

• 4 years later...

That packet of potato starch noodles has been falling off the top shelf on a regular basis in the pantry for a couple years. I decided to address it today. Of course I had no spinach, no scallions, and no tree ear mushrooms. I did a pantry version with white onion, cremini mushroom, and carrot for the vegetable and added garlic chive and cilantro (non traditional). The version I get from my local Korean mart does not contain sesame seeds though online recipes tend to. I smashed some dry roasted peanuts and added them for the nutty element. I did use a good soy and sesame oil as well as piloncillo for the sugar element. Had some frozen little chilis from last years crop so I briefly warmed them in some plain white vinegar to add as a condiment. I like this dish at room temp. This version is quite enjoyable.

005.JPG

010.JPG

008.JPG