• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kerala/Tamil Nadu travel tips

Saborosa

Hi

We'll be in Kerala and Tamil Nadu in December from 5-26th. The only definite stop so far is Kochi where we'll be flying in and out, but will stop, too.

I'm interested in doing a cooking class or course while I'm there - any suggestions?

Also any other eating and drinking tips gratefully received. It's my first time in India so no info will be too basic for me!

I'm based in Barcelona, Spain, so would be happy to reciprocate with tips for anyone visiting Barcelona or elsewhere in Spain, if I can.

Thanks everybody

Hi

We'll be in Kerala and Tamil Nadu in December from 5-26th. The only definite stop so far is Kochi where we'll be flying in and out, but will stop, too.

I'm interested in doing a cooking class or course while I'm there - any suggestions?

Also any other eating and drinking tips gratefully received. It's my first time in India so no info will be too basic for me!

I'm based in Barcelona, Spain, so would be happy to reciprocate with tips for anyone visiting Barcelona or elsewhere in Spain, if I can.

Thanks everybody

Saborosa:

Welcome to my home state Kerala. I hope you enjoy your stay at Kochi. Hotel Taj Residency has a couple of nice restaurants. One of them serves traditional Kerala fare. Hotel La Meridian has a good seafood restaurant. If you have time, please do go on a boat trip. It is simply fabulous.

In Tamil Nadu if you are in Madras (Chennai), try Dakshin - it serves traditional food from all four south Indian states. If you have time check out Grand Sweets - for authentic Tami Nadu sweets and snacks. I believe it is in Adayar.

Ammini

Ammini Ramachandran

www.Peppertrail.com

Thanks everybody.

Geetha I'm particularly interested in fish and seafood, which I guess Kerala is good for!?

Also if there's one or a few particular dishes that are the typical or most interesting dishes of the region?

I'm interested in eating anywhere with good food, obviously and perhaps with a local atmosphere.

In terms of cooking classes I'd like to perhaps go shopping with someone and then prepare a meal, perhaps a special celebration meal - something challenging!

Sorry if I'm being too vague.

Thanks everyone for your tips so far.

I'll be sure to report on my experiences when I return

Yes Sobarosa, you right on about the fish variety, even I like the kerala preparation passed on to me by an aunt of mine who stayed in Kochi for a few years.. surely kerala fish preparation is by far the best I've tasted. Let me give you in on this that they use ginger in sauteing before they add anything else that creates a unique flavour and oh they use coconuts a unique taste to their dishes other than fish curry ..

They are willing to teach as they take pride intheir traditions and love and cherish both food and customs alike mostly because women folk are prime importance.. there isa matriarchy in traditions that helps them preserve their traditional cooking to original pristine qualite of their own.

So even if you can spend a week with them in their house hold you'll come back with a wealth of knowledge and understanding of their traditions. Hope you enjoy banana leaf feasts and its unique taastes

There is something about kerala's food and people linked to their food I've only known few keralites they are special people with their respect for their food traditions hope you'll reap the benefits too with them in their homes even if it is for a short stay with them ;)