• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

THE BEST: Ramen in NYC

Laksa

IMHO... Although RaiRaiKen is very good, especially the MISO (PS-I actually worked there for a short period a couple years ago, one of the few Japanese faces there) my preference is Yakitori Taisho a couple blocks away on St. Marks Place near 3rd Ave. Pretty much consistantly great TONKOTSU (Pork Broth) RAMEN (It is the only ramen they serve, and my favorite). The only thing that isnt consistant unfortuantely is their Chashu (Sliced pork) on good days you barely need to use your teeth since the meat is so tender and flavorful... it practically melts in your mouth. Amazingly sublime. On bad days however... flavorless, almost rubber texture. A shame really. But the rest of the soup itself has never been a disappointment. I havent been there since November 2005, but I imagine it hasnt changed. I used to go there pretty regularly for the past few years. Everyone who I have taken there and tried the ramen has fallen in love with it regardless of the Chashu.... give it a shot.

Rairaiken is ok. I'm suprised Taisho would be better. I have yet to try Minca but Menkuitei was the best I'd had in the East Village, and Saburi better than all of them.

HOWEVER, The best Ramen in NYC is...

drum roll..........

in Edgewater New Jersey!!! The Mitsuwa mart has an outpost of Sapporo-based chain Santouka.

gallery_34137_2425_22295.jpg

gallery_34137_2425_5501.jpg

They also had an outpost across from my office in Tokyo, on Meiji-dori at Namikibashi, when I lived there, so I know their ramen well. People used to queue up their as well for their delicious chyasuu-torinikuramen. If I close my eyes I feel like I'm in a Tokyo depaato devouring that ramen. It's the real deal and better than any in Manhattan, unfortunately. Still - try Saburi - you'll thank me..

Worth the $2 bus ride from Port Authority? Certainly for an egulleteer. While you're out there you can also take in Katsuhama, which is the best tonkatsu in NYC, with an outpost also at Mitsuwa...

drum roll..........

in Edgewater New Jersey!!! The Mitsuwa mart has an outpost of Sapporo-based chain Santouka.

I second this rec. The ramen there is indeed better than the versions I've had in NYC; the broths are fresher and fuller flavored and the noodles are good. It's cheap too. Mitsuwa is loads of fun anyway and well worth a day trip.

Edited by jeanki (log)

I had the opportunity to go to Men Kui Tei @ 60 West 56th Street (212-757-1642) and found that the Shoyu, Kyushu-style, and Miso Ramen to be the best overall Lamen so far in New York. An interesting feature there is you can request the texture of the noodles when you order like you specify a steak order (well, medium or rare; but in this case hard, medium, or soft noodle). I ordered hard and the bowl was in front of me within a minute.

And the gyoza are outstanding!  :wub:

A beer, gyoza, and Miso Lamen cost around $17.

I:

If this thread hadn't've been bumped, I would never've know about this place, and that it's.....20 feet from my office.

Went there for lunch. Had the Menkui Ramen. Yumsville. And super fast. It takes the deli down the street longer to make a tuna sandwich. The pork was glazed with...something. Anyone know what?

I fear I will now have to work my way through the menu.

• 1 month later...
Rairaiken is ok. I'm suprised Taisho would be better. I have yet to try Minca but Menkuitei was the best I'd had in the East Village, and Saburi better than all of them.

drum roll..........

They also had an outpost across from my office in Tokyo, on Meiji-dori at Namikibashi, when I lived there, so I know their ramen well. People used to queue up their as well for their delicious chyasuu-torinikuramen. If I close my eyes I feel like I'm in a Tokyo depaato devouring that ramen. It's the real deal and better than any in Manhattan, unfortunately. Still - try Saburi - you'll thank me..

Worth the $2 bus ride from Port Authority? Certainly for an egulleteer. While you're out there you can also take in Katsuhama, which is the best tonkatsu in NYC, with an outpost also at Mitsuwa...

Raji, there's a Katsuhama branch in midtown on the east side. Just as good as the Mitsuwa branch, and I think, better than tonkatsu I've had in Japan.

The katsu place in Mitsuwa is called Katsuhana, a pale imitation of Katsuhama, don't bother.

Whatever happened to Ippudo opening in NY?

Santoka is good, but I'm looking for a good clear broth seafood and chicken based shio ramen like the kind I've had at the Hokkaido ramen museum.

The katsu place in Mitsuwa is called Katsuhana,  a pale imitation of Katsuhama, don't bother.

Santoka is good, but I'm looking for a good clear broth seafood and chicken based shio ramen like the kind I've had at the Hokkaido ramen museum.

Really! I knew something was wrong. I'd never tried it. Looked off though.

Cchen I've been to the Midtown East Katsuhama many times. Semantics I know but I said "best tonkatsu in NYC", so I meant the midtown east one, while thinking there was an outpost in NJ. Was being sarcastic when I said the best ramen in NYC was in NJ... Katsuhama's oil is great and they can taste better than some places in Japan, but the places in Japan can be so so much more delicious as well.

The katsu place in Mitsuwa is called Katsuhana,  a pale imitation of Katsuhama, don't bother.

Not sure if that can be had in the US... seafood and chicken based....

Why does ramen just hit the spot so much more when you've been drinking all night?

• 2 months later...

Soba-ya's soba and UDON are GREAT, I think their Ramen is good enough but not in the class we're talking about; Santouka, Menkuitei, Rockmeisha, Minca, and I guess RaiRaiken...

I still insist people go to SABURI on 30th and Lexington, they have several Ramen that are the best of their kind in NYC.

Edited by raji (log)