• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cakelove / Love Cafe

cjsadler

I remember liking the cupcakes I had when CakeLove first opened. Hadn't been back lately, but stopped by the new Love Cafe (across the street from the original CakeLove store) last night. Nice digs, but man were the pastries we had bad. I had a 'sassy' crunchy foot (a mini-bundt cake with mango, cayenne and supposedly something else I'm forgetting), which was rather dry, pretty much without any discernable flavors and had a very slight hint of cayenne on the end. The cupcakes ($2 each) were also dry and topped with a buttercream icing that was, oh... 98% butter (so rich, I thought it was repulsive). Don't know if the cakes were just sitting out too long, I was there on the wrong night, or what, but you could easily whip up something twice as good as these.

Chris Sadler

I remember liking the cupcakes I had when CakeLove first opened. Hadn't been back lately, but stopped by the new Love Cafe (across the street from the original CakeLove store) last night. Nice digs, but man were the pastries we had bad. I had a 'sassy' crunchy foot (a mini-bundt cake with mango, cayenne and supposedly something else I'm forgetting), which was rather dry, pretty much without any discernable flavors and had a very slight hint of cayenne on the end. The cupcakes ($2 each) were also dry and topped with a buttercream icing that was, oh... 98% butter (so rich, I thought it was repulsive). Don't know if the cakes were just sitting out too long, I was there on the wrong night, or what, but you could easily whip up something twice as good as these.

Please remember that not everyone who opens a restaurant or food store is talented. It is like everything else in life......

Mark

• 2 months later...

ah, c'mon--there's not another lawyer turned baker in the city who can compete with the Cake Love man for looks. :wub:

oh wait...the food's supposed to inspire the drool?

actually, cjsadler, I suspect you were there on an off-day. I think the cupcakes are always pretty wretched--dry and tooth-hurting sweet, bad combination. But my new saturday morning addiction of a crunchy foot, really awful espresso, and the paper is pretty satisfying--the little bundt cakes I've had have been uniformly moist and cooked with a comparatively light hand on the sugar.

ah, c'mon--there's not another lawyer turned baker in the city who can compete with the Cake Love man for looks. :wub:

oh wait...the food's supposed to inspire the drool? 

actually, cjsadler, I suspect you were there on an off-day.  I think the cupcakes are always pretty wretched--dry and tooth-hurting sweet, bad combination.  But my new saturday morning addiction of a crunchy foot, really awful espresso, and the paper is pretty satisfying--the little bundt cakes I've had have been uniformly moist and cooked with a comparatively light hand on the sugar.

Wasn't he one of People's Sexiest Men a few years ago? The cupcakes taste better when he's around :wink:

Edited by hillvalley (log)

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

Please remember that not everyone who opens a restaurant or food store is talented. It is like everything else in life......

That 'Please' is helping me remember...

If you just demanded that I remember, I might have forgotten.

:smile:

A few weeks ago I tried one of their German chocolate cupcakes at Love Cafe. It was dry and cold--quite a disappointment. The refrigerated display case at the counter may work for cheesecake, but it seemed to have ruined the cupcake.

Melani Spiegel

I remember liking the cupcakes I had when CakeLove first opened.  Hadn't been back lately, but stopped by the new Love Cafe (across the street from the original CakeLove store) last night.  Nice digs, but man were the pastries we had bad.  I had a 'sassy' crunchy foot (a mini-bundt cake with mango, cayenne and supposedly something else I'm forgetting), which was rather dry, pretty much without any discernable flavors and had a very slight hint of cayenne on the end.    The cupcakes ($2 each) were also dry and topped with a buttercream icing that was, oh... 98% butter (so rich, I thought it was repulsive).  Don't know if the cakes were just sitting out too long, I was there on the wrong night, or what, but you could easily whip up something twice as good as these.

There's only one bakery in my town. Everything they make is overcooked or just plain dry. At one point I wanted to open a coffeeshop, but the town is too far from the nearest metropolis to get fresh baked goods delivered, so it would have to have been me doing the baking or Sysco. So I didn't do it.

• 7 months later...

Fox News Sunday just did a nice piece on Cakelove, which is located at 1501 U Street. The cakes looked really good. I haven't been there yet. Has anyone had the pleasure?

I just checked out the website. Nothing special, as it's a work in progress. The owner is a former lawyer, who determined that law just isn't that much fun. Though he's no longer a practicing lawyer, I found it funny that he's trademarking the names of his cakes.

Edited by otello (log)

Their cupcakes are pretty bad, I think the owner needs to spend more time on perfecting his craft & less time on marketing, but hey he seems to be doing well. If you're going to spend that much on a cake, I agree that Amernick is a better option.

My friend works around the corner, so we used to go there a lot after work at some point. I was quite underwhelmed with cupcakes, and the frosting tastes rather...basic, as in butter mixed with sugar. I think people are taken more with the concept of a quaint bakery doing business in the "right" neighborhood than with the quality of its product.

Resident Twizzlebum

My friend works around the corner, so we used to go there a lot after work at some point. I was quite underwhelmed with cupcakes, and the frosting tastes rather...basic, as in butter mixed with sugar.  I think people are taken more with the concept of a quaint bakery doing business in the "right" neighborhood than with the quality of its product.

I think people are taken in with the owner's story, his frequent appearances in Oprah and his good looks!

What do you mean by the 'right neighborhood?

BTW, the Bear Claws are good. And they have a cafe across the street where you can get coffee that is not from Starbucks.