• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Roberto Donna vs. Masaharu Morimoto

jmc8y

I have not tasted Morimoto's cooking, although he is coming to Tyson's this fall.  But, based on what I have seen, I believe there are two totally different perspectives.  And, often, one's absolute love of food does not necessarily lead to the most efficient preparation of it.  In fact, if taste were the only prerequisite, I suspect that there would be a different Iron Chef.  I also wonder what kind of comments there will be on here about Tyson's Morimoto, knowing what most critics have to say about Laboratorio.  If taste, if texture, if sensorial pleasure were the only criteria I know that Roberto is the Iron Chef that I would trust for the meal of my dreams, for the meal of my life. 

Wait a second, how does one make this obvious back handed statement about Morimoto's passion for food and love of cooking when one has not been to his restaurant or eaten his food? I think it's wrong to say that just because Chef Donna couldn't manage to a one hour time period is because he has more passion and love for food, regardless of whether he was in a new kitchen or not. A little less time throwing salt and flour and haming it up for the camera and more time cooking could have saved him. Extrodinary chef no doubt about it but come on there is a reason why Morimoto sells out the house every night in Philly.

Wait a second, how does one make this obvious back handed statement about Morimoto's passion for food and love of cooking when one has not been to his restaurant or eaten his food? I think it's wrong to say that just because Chef Donna couldn't manage to a one hour time period is because he has more passion and love for food, regardless of whether he was in a new kitchen or not. A little less time throwing salt and flour and haming it up for the camera and more time cooking could have saved him. Extrodinary chef no doubt about it but come on there is a reason why Morimoto sells out the house every night in Philly.

JoeH, I haven't the pleasure of the Laboratorio, so I can't make a subjective claim about Donna's cooking. Your passionate support for him is, however, a very kind and convincing testimonial; next time I have the money saved, I may have to try that particular meal.

I am surprised that with your travels around the world you haven't tried Morimoto, a relatively short jaunt to Philadelphia. I ate there two years ago and had the $100 tasting menu, which was enough food to split between two people (note: I don't know if the prices have changed). With top shelf sake, the bill came to $120 a person, and I can say that it was the meal of my life. Granted, I have a serious weakness for both Japanese cuisine and all things Iron Chef, but despite those biases I still think my meal in Philly was absolutely phenomenal. You should really check it out. The space is beautiful, the service is near perfect, and the experience is just a pleasure. They also have a beautiful private room I got to see but not dine in; if you're inclined, you may want to check it out.

K

I find the claim that Donna had never before seen Iron Chef incredible. why would someon put himself on a natioinwide television show and not at least tune in to catch the show, which runs constantly, or have someone tape it for him. If it is true that he went ahead with the taping of the show without so much as a clue as to what he was getting himself into, then, to me, that demonstrates a lack of professionalism. A true professional is always prepared.

I find the claim that Donna had never before seen Iron Chef incredible.  why would someon put himself on a natioinwide television show and not at least tune in to catch the show, which runs constantly, or have someone tape it for him.  If it is true that he went ahead with the taping of the show without so much as a clue as to what he was getting himself into, then, to me, that demonstrates a lack of professionalism.  A true professional is always prepared.

I must agree. With an hour to turn out 5 dishes with an ingredient like scallops, it seemed to me he was there only to have a good time. It's a shame really.

"I know the human being and fish can coexist peacefully."

—George W. Bush in Saginaw, Mich., Sept. 29, 2000

As I brought up on another thread, surely Donna must have been planning to make some sort of pasta. Why were they still stuffing ravioli with 90 seconds left? At that point, why bother?

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

ETA:  Back in July 2002, Iron Chefs Sakai and Chen did a couple of exhibition battles in DC just outside the International Trade Center.  I caught the battle between Sakai and Todd Gray, and seem to recall that Chef Donna was one of the judges there.  So he had at least a passing familiarity with the show's concept.

I was there as well - the judges that day were Roberto Donna, Ris Lacoste and Eve Zibart. Roberto Donna may never have watched an episode of Iron Chef, but given that he was commenting on the battle during the proceedings and judging the dishes that were prepared, the only way he wouldn't have been at least remotely familiar with the concept is a complete loss of memory related to this event.

"Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cookbook! Little Red Cookbook!" --Eddie Izzard

Oh man...been carefully avoiding this thread all week so I could watch it tonight. So this is what it must be like when your sport team loses one of those big Bowl or Cup or Plate things.

"Gah!! He's going to finish, right?" --Me to sister on IM, while watching

"um...........yeah.....he's fine." --Sister, whom I swore to secrecy on the outcome

I'd like to think he probably could have taken Morimoto if he finished all his dishes, or at least put up a respectable showing. Still though, that was pretty sad.

Matt Robinson

Prep for dinner service, prep for life! A Blog

Just finished watching. What Donna managed to finish looked marvelous, but...Good Lord! To get real "Iron Chef" about it: Would one be right to assume that Morimoto would feel dishonored at having achieved such a "win"? Is there an Italian version of hari kari?

Don’t you have a machine that puts food into the mouth and pushes it down?

--Nikita Khrushchev to Richard Nixon during the "Kitchen Debate" in Moscow, 1959

Roberto is a better man than I. If I had my ass handed to me I wouldn't invite 200 people over to watch.

1) He lost...in embarassing fashion.

2) What is he going to do about it? Cry?

3) Might as well earn a buck from the people who are going to be posting on eG the next day

This guy is a chef, right? Regardless of whether or not he had ever competed or seen the show, he should have had his stuff together. Being a chef is all about mise en place, and that doesnt' just refer to yoru ingredients. That refers to everything from your head, to your heart, to your hands, all ready to work, and do what needs to be done in order to get the job done. It was bull to see this guy throwing flour around, on his poor line cook (who must have been embarassed as hell btw), with five minutes remainging. What a joke, whether or not his restaurant is great. He let the showboatsman get the best of him this time...

Edited by Tonyy13 (log)

Tonyy13

Owner, Big Wheel Provisions

tony_adams@mac.com

Is there an Italian version of hari kari?

Yeah you string youself up with an extra long strand of spaghetti -- cooked al dente

Oh, J[esus]. You may be omnipotent, but you are SO naive!

- From the South Park Mexican Starring Frog from South Sri Lanka episode

I briefly watched this last night. I am not a big fan of the Food Network and had never seen Iron Chef. It sort of struck me as sad that we are rating chefs by what they can do in 1 hour for a cheesy panel of CNN anchors.

Best comment made.."It must be the jet lag from flying in from Italy.."

"I'm going to Wichita

Far from the opera for evermore

I'm gonna work the straw

make the sweat drip out of every pore

And I'm bleeding, and I'm bleeding, and I'm bleeding

Right before the Lord"

WHITE STRIPES

I briefly watched this last night.  I am not a big fan of the Food Network and had never seen Iron Chef.  It sort of struck me as sad that we are rating chefs by what they can do in 1 hour for a cheesy panel of CNN anchors.

There was only one CNN anchor

I wanna say something. I'm gonna put it out there; if you like it, you can take it, if you don't, send it right back. I want to be on you.

it was a pretty bad performance on his part. he should have gotten much closer to finishing his dishes. the possibility that the dishes would have been total class doesn't mean a thing if they aren't plated when the time is up. he should have either managed his time better or taken less risks (still a time management issue).

i've done competitions and i would say that it looks better to have some average tasting products without much flair than to scramble and not finish all the required items.

I happen to catch Anderson Cooper the very next night (after the first showing 3/6) while on CNN. I was FLOORED when he spoke briefly of his judging stint for Iron Chef, he said something to the effect of "hell, I haven't a clue why they asked me to judge! I don't know a thing about food! My diet consists of fast food!" :shock::shock::shock:

I am astonished that they don't get judges who are at least somewhat versed in food or things culinary. (I also was worried at first when they intro'd the 3 judges in the beginning, the two women seemed to have an affinity for japanese food, so I thought the cards were stacked against Roberto to begin with. Ha Ha! Of course we now know that didn't make a whit of difference!) :hmmm:

I like to cook with wine. Sometimes I even add it to the food.

I have long been suspicious of any judge/food critic/writer who appeared anorexic/bulemic/underweight. I must confess to past suspicion at the many trim, athletic actors, actresses and authors that were frequently asked to judge the Iron Chef when it was based in Japan. I would also note that not once did I see a single one of them attempt to steal a bite of another judge's portion. I would argue that if what which was prepared was truly extraordinary, especially the few bites judged orgasmic, each of these would be a treasure, certainly worth appropriating from any nearby plate.... For me, the failure to covet such an ethereal indulgence speaks volumes about the priorities, and the qualifications of those chosen to judge.

If I were invited there certainly would not be a speck left on any plate-whether mine or my neighbor's.

I happen to catch Anderson Cooper the very next night (after the first showing 3/6) while on CNN. I was FLOORED when he spoke briefly of his judging stint for Iron Chef, he said something to the effect of "hell, I haven't a clue why they asked me to judge! I don't know a thing about food! My diet consists of fast food!" :shock::shock::shock:

At least he was honest, something rare at CNN..

"Instead of orange juice, I'm going to use the juice from the inside of the orange."- The Brilliant Sandra Lee

http://www.matthewnehrlingmba.com