• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Roberto Donna vs. Masaharu Morimoto

jmc8y

• 4 months later...

it's on this Sunday. I'm psyched.

Next one should be Mike Landrum vs. Bobby Flay.

I wanna say something. I'm gonna put it out there; if you like it, you can take it, if you don't, send it right back. I want to be on you.

I just returned from watching this with 200+ others at Galileo. For Morimoto this was his 77th appearance on Iron Chef; for Roberto it was his first. In fact Roberto had never seen the show before the taping; he was honored to be selected for this (Mario Batali is the only other Italian American chef selected) yet had no real idea of what he was going to experience. Now that he knows the format, the kitchen layout and the pacing (as Morimoto with 77 previous experiences) he looks forward to the possibility of a rematch and (my word) redemption.

On March 30th (Weds.) he is duplicating his five courses for The Iron Chef in the Laboratorio. This was just announced tonight at the end of the taping. The cost is $110.

My heart just sunk when the time ran out and it only appeared there was one dish plated. I do hope there is a rematch.

That ravioli looked quite amazing though - wish i could go try it out.

I wanna say something. I'm gonna put it out there; if you like it, you can take it, if you don't, send it right back. I want to be on you.

There have been over 300 battles on Iron Chef during the last decade or so. I've probably seen at least half of these episodes, and don't think anyone has ever failed to complete most if not all of their dishes. Much as I'd like to give Chef Donna the benefit of the doubt, 90 percent of the challengers on the show are similarly unfamiliar with the layout of Kitchen Stadium and the format/pacing of the battle.

This must've been a bit embarrassing, especially for such a great chef. I feel bad for him, but would be very surprised if he was invited back -- there are so many other chefs in this country that are deserving of an appearance, and only a handful of episodes of the show get produced each year.

ETA: Back in July 2002, Iron Chefs Sakai and Chen did a couple of exhibition battles in DC just outside the International Trade Center. I caught the battle between Sakai and Todd Gray, and seem to recall that Chef Donna was one of the judges there. So he had at least a passing familiarity with the show's concept.

Edited by silentbob (log)

Chef Donna seemed disjointed from the beginning. I feel bad for the guy but come on he was flipping flour in the air within the last 5 minutes of the battle when the pasta wasn't even made yet. Why try to embed herbs in the dough when you don't even have enough time to cook it?

Edited by Fred (log)

Yes, it was a pretty big disappointment. I don't know if it was a cultural/personal attribute related to time management, or just basic unfamiliarity with the format. If this was truly the first time a challenger was unable to finish more than two dishes, then I guess Roberto is just built for comfort... :smile:

(Hopefully the producers will grant him a rematch so he has some chance to recoup in a future season).

Edited by FunJohnny (log)

Oh, J[esus]. You may be omnipotent, but you are SO naive!

- From the South Park Mexican Starring Frog from South Sri Lanka episode

Roberto is a better man than I. If I had my ass handed to me I wouldn't invite 200 people over to watch.

Jarad C. Slipp, One third of ???

He was a sweet and tender hooligan and he swore that he'd never, never do it again. And of course he won't (not until the next time.) -Stephen Patrick Morrissey

Roberto is a better man than I. If I had my ass handed to me I wouldn't invite 200 people over to watch.

My thoughts exactly.

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

Chef Donna seemed disjointed from the beginning. I feel bad for the guy but come on he was flipping flour in the air within the last 5 minutes of the battle when the pasta wasn't even made yet. Why try to embed herbs in the dough when you don't even have enough time to cook it?

I agree. You could see as the show went on that Donna's group was taking a lot of time on elaborate preparations. When they announced the 15 minutes left point, I thought he'd scale back the aesthetic flourishes and cook some scallops.

I just returned from watching this with 200+ others at Galileo.  For Morimoto this was his 77th appearance on Iron Chef; for Roberto it was his first.  In fact Roberto had never seen the show before the taping; he was honored to be selected for this (Mario Batali is the only other Italian American chef selected) yet had no real idea of what he was going to experience.  Now that he knows the format, the kitchen layout and the pacing (as Morimoto with 77 previous experiences) he looks forward to the possibility of a rematch and (my word) redemption.

On March 30th (Weds.) he is duplicating his five courses for The Iron Chef  in the Laboratorio.  This was just announced tonight at the end of the taping.  The cost is $110.

For every other contestant, this was their first time in "kitchen stadium" as well, but they did manage to plate 5 dishes. Roberto should not have been throwing flour in the air.....he should of focued more on the scallops

I just returned from watching this with 200+ others at Galileo.  For Morimoto this was his 77th appearance on Iron Chef; for Roberto it was his first.  In fact Roberto had never seen the show before the taping; he was honored to be selected for this (Mario Batali is the only other Italian American chef selected) yet had no real idea of what he was going to experience.  Now that he knows the format, the kitchen layout and the pacing (as Morimoto with 77 previous experiences) he looks forward to the possibility of a rematch and (my word) redemption.

On March 30th (Weds.) he is duplicating his five courses for The Iron Chef  in the Laboratorio.  This was just announced tonight at the end of the taping.  The cost is $110.

Is he providing a discount if you are not served in a timely manner? :raz:

Wearing jeans to the best restaurants in town.

Is he providing a discount if you are not served in a timely manner? :raz:

No, you just can't eat them if they are not plated within one hour.

It's too bad. He is such a nice guy and a fabulous chef, but what a pooch screwing display that was. I do hope they give him another shot so he can show everyone what he is really all about and not how he seemed that night.

"I know the human being and fish can coexist peacefully."

—George W. Bush in Saginaw, Mich., Sept. 29, 2000

Again, Roberto had never seen Iron Chef before-nor had he judged a show (as suggested). It was totally new to him. I believe his impression was to prepare the five best tasting dishes that he could in the one hour period-in a totally new kitchen. A kitchen that Morimoto had cooked in many, many times before, a show that he had participated in seventy six times before! For Roberto this was his first time. His first time on the show, his first time in this kitchen! Also, for, Roberto, initially, this was about taste NOT about efficiency. I would suggest that there is also a conceptual difference here about what constitutes a great meal and a significant part of this is taste. What Roberto Donna puts out in his Laboratorio is extraordinary. It is a reflection not of a mechanically efficient chef but rather of one who grew up with food and taste as a labor of true love, of a respect for the pure pleasure that creatively prepared and organically sourced cuisine can inspire. I have not tasted Morimoto's cooking, although he is coming to Tyson's this fall. But, based on what I have seen, I believe there are two totally different perspectives. And, often, one's absolute love of food does not necessarily lead to the most efficient preparation of it. In fact, if taste were the only prerequisite, I suspect that there would be a different Iron Chef. I also wonder what kind of comments there will be on here about Tyson's Morimoto, knowing what most critics have to say about Laboratorio. If taste, if texture, if sensorial pleasure were the only criteria I know that Roberto is the Iron Chef that I would trust for the meal of my dreams, for the meal of my life. While a few more minutes on the Iron Chef made a difference for efficiency- for taste in Roberto's Laboratorio, a few more minutes have delivered flavors and tastes equal to any that I have ever had.

Hey, I love Roberto as much as the next guy but I don't think you can argue with:

1. He knew there was a 1 hour time limit.

2. Every visiting chef who has never cooked at Kitchen Stadium America before has still managed to put out more than 2 dishes.

Speed ain't the number one thing I look for in a chef either, but you should be able to adapt to the limits placed upon you.

Again, Roberto had never seen Iron Chef before-nor had he judged a show (as suggested).  It was totally new to him.  I believe his impression was to prepare the five best tasting dishes that he could in the one hour period-in a totally new kitchen.  A kitchen that Morimoto had cooked in many, many times before, a show that he had participated in seventy six times before!  For Roberto this was his first time.  His first time on the show, his first time in this kitchen!  Also, for, Roberto, initially, this was about taste NOT about efficiency.  I would suggest that there is also a conceptual difference here about what constitutes a great meal and a significant part of this is taste.  What Roberto Donna puts out in his Laboratorio is extraordinary.  It is a reflection not of a mechanically efficient chef but rather of one who grew up with food and taste as a labor of true love, of a respect for the pure pleasure that creatively prepared and organically sourced cuisine can inspire.  I have not tasted Morimoto's cooking, although he is coming to Tyson's this fall.  But, based on what I have seen, I believe there are two totally different perspectives.  And, often, one's absolute love of food does not necessarily lead to the most efficient preparation of it.  In fact, if taste were the only prerequisite, I suspect that there would be a different Iron Chef.  I also wonder what kind of comments there will be on here about Tyson's Morimoto, knowing what most critics have to say about Laboratorio.  If taste, if texture, if sensorial pleasure were the only criteria I know that Roberto is the Iron Chef that I would trust for the meal of my dreams, for the meal of my life.  While a few more minutes on the Iron Chef made a difference for efficiency- for taste in Roberto's Laboratorio, a few more minutes have delivered flavors and tastes equal to any that I have ever had.

I just dont see any point to defend Mr Donna here. He is not a bad chef (losing a game doesnt make anyone bad or untalented)and everyone knows it.

Iron Chef is a tv show, every chef ,either a master of the kitchen stadium or not , has 1 hour to cook. Was Roberto Donna able to manage that time ? Obviously he wasnt. He couldnt plate even 3 dishes. Did he not know anything about the show or 1 hour time frame ? I dont believe that , Im sure he received enough info about the show before his performance.

Ming Tsai never performed on the show either , but he kicked Bobby Flays ass. What makes him different than others ?

Bobby Flay lost his first game to Morimoto , but he won the rematch back in Japan. That was his second time on the show. But he won.

You love Roberto Donna very much , you think his food is the best but whats the truth ? He didnt do any good on the show and Morimoto ruled.

Corduroy

General Manager

1122 Ninth Street, NW

Washington DC 20001

www.corduroydc.com

202 589 0699

Again, Roberto had never seen Iron Chef before-nor had he judged a show (as suggested).  It was totally new to him.  I believe his impression was to prepare the five best tasting dishes that he could in the one hour period-in a totally new kitchen.  A kitchen that Morimoto had cooked in many, many times before, a show that he had participated in seventy six times before!  For Roberto this was his first time.  His first time on the show, his first time in this kitchen!  Also, for, Roberto, initially, this was about taste NOT about efficiency.  I would suggest that there is also a conceptual difference here about what constitutes a great meal and a significant part of this is taste.  What Roberto Donna puts out in his Laboratorio is extraordinary.  It is a reflection not of a mechanically efficient chef but rather of one who grew up with food and taste as a labor of true love, of a respect for the pure pleasure that creatively prepared and organically sourced cuisine can inspire.  I have not tasted Morimoto's cooking, although he is coming to Tyson's this fall.  But, based on what I have seen, I believe there are two totally different perspectives.  And, often, one's absolute love of food does not necessarily lead to the most efficient preparation of it.  In fact, if taste were the only prerequisite, I suspect that there would be a different Iron Chef.  I also wonder what kind of comments there will be on here about Tyson's Morimoto, knowing what most critics have to say about Laboratorio.  If taste, if texture, if sensorial pleasure were the only criteria I know that Roberto is the Iron Chef that I would trust for the meal of my dreams, for the meal of my life.  While a few more minutes on the Iron Chef made a difference for efficiency- for taste in Roberto's Laboratorio, a few more minutes have delivered flavors and tastes equal to any that I have ever had.

You need to stop blindly defending whose you you rever. This thread isn't about great meals at the lab (which I've had). This is about Iron Chef and Roberto got schooled. Shame on him if he didn't do his homework. If he turned up at the SAT's unprepared without a No. 2 pencil should we just give him a 1600. I'm a big fan but I know when to call a spade a spade.

Jarad C. Slipp, One third of ???

He was a sweet and tender hooligan and he swore that he'd never, never do it again. And of course he won't (not until the next time.) -Stephen Patrick Morrissey

You need to stop blindly defending whose you you rever. This thread isn't about great meals at the lab (which I've had). This is about Iron Chef and  Roberto got schooled. Shame on him if he didn't do his homework. If he turned up at the SAT's unprepared without a No. 2 pencil should we just give him a 1600. I'm a big fan but I know when to call a spade a spade.

in the words of the great rupert giles,

"I made these points earlier, but fine, no one listens to me."