• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jacob loves Montreal?

Lesley C

In today's National Post (Oct. 16th) there's a review of three Montreal restos: Les Chevres, Au Pied de Cochon and Brunoise. The title is "3 Reasons I Love Montreal," but read through the text and you'll see Richler doesn't seem to like the food in these places all that much -- going so far as to say of the elegant and original final course at at Les Chevres, "Desserts will not move you."

Hmm...they move me -- big time. What doesn't move me is Mr. Richler's half-hearted write-up of these three restaurants.

Anyone else see the review?

BASED?? His dad IS Montreal (WAS, rather) Lesley, I'm surprised at the pooh-pooh myself, and thanks for directing me to it. We mustn't take his dietary dislikes as an insult to Montreal, however. Anyone who grew up here knows that this city stays in your heart even after migrating to Toronto the bland.

Edited by Chrisser (log)

Jacob Richler is a ex-Montrealer, but comes back to Montreal often. He's the son of writer Mordecai Richler. Jacob is restaurant critic for the National Post covering Toronto, but occasionally reviews Montreal restaurants(on average maybe once a month). I did see his story early Saturday morning, but haven't read it yet.

-Steve

BASED??  His dad IS Montreal (WAS, rather)  Lesley, I'm surprised at the pooh-pooh myself, and thanks for directing me to it.  We mustn't take his dietary dislikes as an insult to Montreal, however.  Anyone who grew up here knows that this city stays in your heart even after migrating to Toronto the bland.

Like I said I haven't read the story yet. However, Jacob doesn't have to like the 3 Montreal restaurants that he reviewed. And I'm pretty sure, it wasn't he who came up with the title '3 reasons I Love Montreal.'

-Steve

Another thing I found surprising about the write-up is that these three restaurants, as fabulous as they are, are last year's <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=news&v=56">news</a>. This story should have been written a year ago.

Do you think that only new restaurants 'deserve' (?) to be reviewed? If that is the case, then many, many reviews by Richler and others are "yesterday's news"....

Forget the house, forget the children. I want custody of the red and access to the port once a month.

KEVIN CHILDS.

Doesn't play well with others.

No, not in the case of a city paper. Your local paper should be reviewing as many -- if not more -- old restos as new. In fact, even in a city like Montreal, there aren't enough new restaurants opening for a critic to cover only new places.

But the Post is supposed to be a national paper, so they should be covering the newer restaurants. The NY Times got to them before Richler did.

That's just my little opinion, but I'm sure Mr. Richler can cover whatever the heck he pleases.

I also found the review less than informative. "Desserts will not move you" ? - Gee, that tells me a lot! Clearly guzzied up by the headline writer. Although he did warm up to Brunoise at the end.... just don't know how many readers made it that far.

I don't understand why a reviewer would first state they don't really care for a type of food (vegetarian) and then proceed to review the place. I guess it's honest, but can you really give an honest opinion about a resturant or food type you don't fancy and thus probably not very informed about?

Anyhow...putting you on the spot a bit Lesley :), if YOU wrote a review for National Post today which Montreal restaurants would you cover?

I would pick a theme:

Bu and Pullman -- Montreal-style wine bars

or

Tapeo, Blue Raisin, and Area -- appetizer-size portions (tapas)

or

Bouchon de Liege and Tapeo -- obscure neighborhood

or

Bouchon de Liege and Brunoise -- gourmet on the cheap

Or you could cover the whole decadent dining club scene, Time etc...

It is also my understanding that Bleu Raisin has been under new ownership for a little while now (although definitely after your last review, Lesley)

I believe the new owners are the chef and owner of La Prunelle, a BYO on Duluth.

Furthermore I understand that they are to reopen soon.

In today's National Post (Oct. 16th) there's a review of three Montreal restos: Les Chevres, Au Pied de Cochon and Brunoise. The title is "3 Reasons I Love Montreal," but read through the text and you'll see Richler doesn't seem to like the food in these places all that much -- going so far as to say of the elegant and original final course at at Les Chevres, "Desserts will not move you."

Hmm...they move me -- big time. What doesn't move me is Mr. Richler's half-hearted write-up of these three restaurants. 

Anyone else see the review?

Lesley (and others),

I read Jacob's reviews and thought I heard, if not an actual standing ovation, certainly a hearty round of applause. I found them balanced and thoroughly descriptive of both the food and the experience. But the test for me remains this: Had I not dined at any of these three restaurants and had read the reviews, would I have sought them out?

In a word, yes.

Best regards,

Jamie

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"