• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Brunch in Bergen Cty?

BeerGut

I need a place for Sunday brunch. The diner works well but we're hoping for something a little more special. We're in Bergen County (Teaneck) with family and friends in Hoboken. Any local suggestions are welcome.

Well, if you want to try something totally different, I suggest the special Sunday Brunch at China46 restaurant in ridgefield. All sorts of Dim Sum, about a dozen chinese chafing dishes, about a dozen or so of cold chinese appetizers, plus non stop chinese goodies delivered to your table for all of $11.95 a person. Its the best deal in the entire area right now for brunch. Not your typical chinese food either, its regional stuff from Shanghai, Sichuan and Hong Kong.

I have some pictures of it starting on this page:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=4364&st=100

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

It is definitely tough to do a nice brunch in Bergen County. One place you might try is Moon Street, a nice little place on Dean Street in Englewood. Decent brunch food, nice environment, and excellent Bloody Marys. Another place to try is Hudson House on Main Street in Nyack. This is an old jail hollowed out with the original brick walls. Very good brunch menu. Lastly, in the area, is Turning Point in Piermont. This little town on the river rocks on weekends, and this restaurant does a nice brunch upstairs.

The Office in Ridgewood has a very nice Sunday brunch for $12.95. In addition to the usual breakfast staples like bacon, sausage, etc. they usually feature 3-5 hot dishes, a few cold salads, and several desserts. They make fresh omlettes and waffles, and have a pasta station with pasta, grilled chicken, marinara, and vodka sauce. They also have a carving station which usually has turkey and some type of beef. I'm not a brunch expert, but I've been to a few and this is defintiely the best one in the price range. In fact, I'm thinking about going tomorrow. I'm getting hungry already!

Thank you for the responses. This was my first post and now I'm even more impressed with this site! I'm going to try the brunch at China 46. Thanks for the info.

Has anyone else tried the best cheapest breakfast going? IKEA has a restaurant that opens at 9:30 am. We had 2 eggs, 2 turkey sausage (but could have had bacon instead), home fries (dry and crisp with paprika), and 2 "pancakes" which were really crepes with lingonberries (I think), and coffee for $1.80. It would have been 99 cents except the pancakes looked too good.

BTW, my favorite diner for anytime is Louie's Charcoal Pit on Cedar Lane, Teaneck. Service can be a little slow but the flame broiled taste is not matched anywhere. Everything is good, but they have the best burgers!

Scratch the brunch at The Office, at least for the next few months. I went yesterday and they told me they are cancelling it until at least January to make room for the football crowds! :sad: But hopefully it will be back soon! I would like to try that brunch at China 46. It sounds very good!

Edited by zhelder (log)