• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Blind Tasting Test of Ice Cream in NJ

Rosie

Based on the Barista survey of ice cream vendors, Wood's must have a select clientele. "Best Ice Cream"

Hostein's in Blommfield - 40%

Applegate Farms - 21%

Magic Fountain next highest 9%, Wood's tied at 7%

Survey

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Hostein's in Bloomfield - 40%

Survey

Coffee Chocolate Chip; they make their own chocolates, the chips are delicate and coffee ice cream not too sweet.

A treat.

~waves

"When you look at the face of the bear, you see the monumental indifference of nature. . . . You see a half-disguised interest in just one thing: food."

Werner Herzog; NPR interview about his documentary "Grizzly Man"...

• 2 weeks later...

Holsten's and old fashioned ice cream parlors like it are a dying breed. The ice cream at Holsten's is SOOOOO tasty.

Applegate Farms is good, but it just doesn't have that certain something.

Mass produced places like Cold Stone Creamery, Carvel, Hagen Daz, etc just dont' have that special homemade taste.

The best ice cream is made with love! :wub:

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

As long as we're throwing names around, someone in the biz, the ice cream biz that is, told me that Magnifico's in East Brunswick makes the best shake in NJ. Yeah? And what makes a shake great other than a lot of premium/super premium ice cream?

If you're adding any kind of syrup, be it chocolate, caramel or others, I should think that a quality syrup made with sugar rather than corn sweeteners (HFCS) would be a a good bet. Strictly from my own highly biased viewpoint I think that malt powder (or whatever is is that they used to make a chocolate malted milkshake) should not be underestimated.

Someone needs to make a shake that tastes like Vietnamese iced coffee with condensed milk. That would totally rule and would definitely be a unique offering.

Someone needs to make a shake that tastes  like Vietnamese iced coffee with condensed milk. That would totally rule and would definitely be a unique offering.

Owen, that's your homework. Thanks for volunteering. And wouldn't the syrup be a given, U-Bet, though God knows what they put in that.

Owen, that's your homework. Thanks for volunteering.

I was afraid you'd say that. I should have posted under some fake identity :raz:

I will take it under consideration. My blender has not yet been put away for the winter so I guess there is still time to do homework.

Curious - Is Alderny Dairy still around in North Jersey.  I spent a summer dipping their ice cream at Sip and Sup at the corner of Rte 10 and Rte 202.  It was great ice cream.

Holly, if you're talking about the corner of Rts 10 and 202 in Morris Plains/Parsippany, it's been a looooooooooooooooooong time since you've been to NJ! Having moved there almost (gulp) 30 years ago, I do remember that there were once cows on the land--land that now houses a massive office complex that stretches a good half mile down 202 and 10. It includes the Parsippany Hilton, Prudential, and a zillion other buildings. Oh, and Llewellyn Farms is now a CHEVY'S. With a Barnes & Noble next door. It would freak you out--trust me!! :blink:

Curlz

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

On another note, I am officially addicted to Graham Central Station at Applegate Farms. :wub::wub::wub: I don't know why, as it's far sweeter than most things that I like, but there's something about the creaminess of the ice cream and the graham crackers and the chocolate flecks, and... :wacko:

Addicted. As in, I don't want to know the location of the AF that's about a mile from my house, because by keeping the Montclair location as the closest (in my brain), I actually have to drive about 5 miles if I want my 'fix'--something I'm hoping not to do TOO often!!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

On another note, I am officially addicted to Graham Central Station at Applegate Farms.  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  I don't know why, as it's far sweeter than most things that I like, but there's something about the creaminess of the ice cream and the graham crackers and the chocolate flecks, and... :wacko:

Addicted.  As in, I don't want to know the location of the AF that's about a mile from my house, because by keeping the Montclair location as the closest (in my brain), I actually have to drive about 5 miles if I want my 'fix'--something I'm hoping not to do TOO often!!

Me too, Curlz, me too! And I live literally around the corner from the Grove Street location so you can imagine how hard it is to resist going. The first time I went to try it I asked the server/scooper behind the counter for the graham cracker flavor. This oldish man looked at me as if he didn't know what flavor I was asking for. I thought--Is he really going to make me say: I would like a cup of your Graham Central Station?! Yep! He did, but hell, it was worth it. WORTH IT! It's my favorite flavor. It's never too cold for ice cream? :biggrin::biggrin:

"After all, these are supposed to be gutsy spuds, not white tablecloth social climbers."

these posts (and the great weather) inspired me to visit AF today, where i tried the 'graham central' stuff. really good.

on another note, i haven't been there in a while, but i don't recall their servings being so huge in the past. we got a small cone and 'junior' cup (smaller than a 'small' cup) and they were both pretty damn big. the place ain't cheap but you do get a lot for your $. :biggrin:

on another note, i haven't been there in a while, but i don't recall their servings being so huge in the past. we got a small cone and 'junior' cup (smaller than a 'small' cup) and they were both pretty damn big.  the place ain't cheap but you do get a lot for your $.  :biggrin:

Couldn't agree more!! Their 'small' is almost 2 scoops, I think.

I know I've said it before, but AF has the best Pumpkin ice cream, too!!!!!!!!

Agreed...great pumpkin flavor! Why do you think I was headed to AF in the first place? :biggrin: Now I have to either choose between pumpkin and Graham Central Station, or eat one and take the other home...