• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fork

TarteTatin

Tonight we stopped by after an extremely hard work week.

We sat at the bar and had four appetizers.

Beet salad with pears and blue cheese,

Tuna Tartare marinated in lime and cilantro, zucchini crisp crackers and shitake mushrooms,

Duck Confit with frisee ,

Duck pate that was supposed to be boar pate but substituted and served with quince paste.

Delicious. Love this chef.

Love Ellen Yin.

Had a great Montalcino.

You know a good chef when the cold food is especially good and creative.

Don't remember exactly the accoutrements or specific flavorings, but it was all good!

Philly Francophiles

Fork always has an interesting array of wines by the glass. It's one of my favorite bars to sit at and have a glass of wine and an appetizer. Food is always interesting and creative, the service is usually excellent and the atmosphere is quite nice.

I love Fork too.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

• 8 months later...
  • 6 months later...
My wife and I are going to be in town President's weekend and Fork was recommended.  Anyone been lately?

The last time I went was last year and it was really good. I have since sent 2 different friends there on a recommendation and both were very happy.

Evan

Dough can sense fear.

i was at their takeout/lunch place about a month ago, and everything was excellent.

i always have loved fork. there just aren't that many restaurants around that have had that level of consistently good food, service and atmosphere year in and year out. as old city gets more insane every weekend, they just sit there doing their thing, and doing it right.

maybe it's time for me to head back for dinner...

i was at their takeout/lunch place about a month ago, and everything was excellent.

i always have loved fork.  there just aren't that many restaurants around that have had that level of consistently good food, service and atmosphere year in and year out. as old city gets more insane every weekend, they just sit there doing their thing, and doing it right.

maybe it's time for me to head back for dinner...

It would be great to get a group to go on a Wednesday night when they have those chef's choice dinners. That has always sounded really interesting.

Evan

Dough can sense fear.

It would be great to get a group to go on a Wednesday night when they have those chef's choice dinners.  That has always sounded really interesting.

Evan

Seconded. Evan, you are hereby requested to organize such a fete.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Appetizers and entrees are superb, as is the food in Fork II, but I find their desserts to be uninspired.

edited to correct typing error.

Edited by etalanian (log)

Eileen Talanian

HowThe Cookie Crumbles.com

HomemadeGourmetMarshmallows.com

As for butter versus margarine, I trust cows more than chemists. ~Joan Gussow

• 3 weeks later...

Killing time between a couple of movies, we felt the urge for something sweet. As etalanian posted above, I'd previously found Fork's desserts to be OK, but no huge thrill, but "Fork etc." (the little informal counter-service/take-out spot next door) was exactly the right place at the right time, so we stopped in and had a couple pieces of cake and some hot drinks, and it was quite good.

I had an Opera Cake and a good cup of La Colombe coffee

gallery_23992_2577_71080.jpg

The cake was nice and light, with a surprisingly airy nutty layer contrasting with the chocolate. I'd get that again any time.

The DDP had a piece of "Chocolate Dream Cake" and Spanish Hot Chocolate.

gallery_23992_2577_14968.jpg

This was intense and creamy in that ganache way, without any of the graininess that sometime sneaks into large productions. The little caramel layer at the bottom made it dreamy indeed... The Spanish hot chocolate was Spanish only in its origin, nothing else too exotic, no smoked paprika in it or anything... but very good.

This was a very nice place to stop in and grab a quick bite, relax a bit in a casual setting. Sandwiches and salads looked really good, but I didn't try anything. There's not too many other spots good for that down in Old City, unless you want to drink. (Of course we almost went back to Amada, but they weren't open yet... and we would have ended up in some serious trouble with some of those cocktails, I'm sure. Coffee was safer.) I'm keeping this in mind for quick pre or post-Ritz movie bites.

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

Thanks for the dessert update for Fork II, philadining!

We often hit Fork II before the Ritz for a quick bite. The soups, sandwiches and light entrees are delicious and perfect for pre-theater.

I hadn't tried the desserts there, because of several dessert disappointments at Fork, but now that I know how good they are, we may try one next time.

Eileen

Eileen Talanian

HowThe Cookie Crumbles.com

HomemadeGourmetMarshmallows.com

As for butter versus margarine, I trust cows more than chemists. ~Joan Gussow