• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Daifuku the topic!

This page (Japanese only) says to squeeze whipped cream into dome shapes and then freeze them.  (Scroll down and view the photo under "1".)

D'oh! I should have thought of that - it would be similar to making tempura ice cream. Thank you for the link, Hiroyuki! Now I'll have something new to experiment with later this week. :D

This page (Japanese only) says to squeeze whipped cream into dome shapes and then freeze them.  (Scroll down and view the photo under "1".)

D'oh! I should have thought of that - it would be similar to making tempura ice cream. Thank you for the link, Hiroyuki! Now I'll have something new to experiment with later this week. :D

Oh, if you do please post pictures! :biggrin:

Daifuku are so easy (and relatively cheap) to get so I never bother trying to make them, maybe someday....

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

• 10 months later...

Oh, if you do please post pictures! :biggrin:

Daifuku are so easy (and relatively cheap) to get so I never bother trying to make them, maybe someday....

I wonder if you freeze the fruit inside the whipped cream in an Aebleskivver pan then make thin Mochi "sheet circles" between two sillicone sheets in a tortilla press, then wrap the mochi circles around it, if THAT would make a nice Daifuku?

I live in the greater Philadelphia Pa area and I havent seen Daifuku in H-mart, Assi Plaza or Kobawoo. Now, after reading this thread I wish Id see the chocolate ones Torakris had, here.

BTW- the Aebleskivver pan would make great home made Takoyaki...

Here is what they look like LINKLINK

(Torakris? Is this okay as a first post?)

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

When I was making daifuku on my first trip to Japan in 1998 or so, I believe we started by taking a small chunk of mochi from the mass, rolling it back into a ball, then slowly molding it around a cube of anko, pressing between fingers.

Rolling out or flatting the mochi probably would be harder to work with, because you can't easily massage the flat mochi into a seamless ball.

I don't think the technique would be different with a frozen filling; the anko was pretty firm too.

Jason Truesdell

Blog: Pursuing My Passions

Take me to your ryokan, please

• 10 months later...
  • 2 years later...

hi there made ichigo daifuku yesterday for the first time and then again today since i still had half a pack of shiratamako.

overall, i was pleased by how easy it was to make and how delicious the resulting sweet was for the amount of effort (not much!), as long as you take care to get the best strawberries.

... ... ...

notes.

the anko was so wet and sticky, very difficult to handle. yesterday i put the anko into a nonstick fry pan to try to evaporate a bit of the water to make it a bit easier but it didnt really work.

last night i read this topic and decided to try it with refrigerated anko and when i made it again today, the cold made it easier. not totally, but much better than yesterday. i also thought the canned anko was too sweet. but im unwilling to make my own anko, so ill put up with the sweetness.

the recipe i used used 100 g shiratamako for 6 strawberries, but i was unhappy with the fruit/anko/mochi ratio. too much mochi. so this time i divided the dough from 100 g shiratamako into 8 pieces. much more fruit per sweet. the strawberries i used were really quite small, though.

i was surprised by how easy it is to make the mochi. i was always kind of intimidated, worried about handling the hot stuff, but it actually cools down really quickly.

strawberry season is here but wont last more than a month, so i will probably make this in two weeks or so to say good bye to strawberries for the year. but i will be making daifuku again after strawberry season is over. mikan, budou, cafe au lait as well as kuri daifuku are all in the plans.

oh. and i will definitely try freezing whipped cream and adding that to the ichigo daifuku when i make it again. ill need to have the technique down before i tackle cafe au lait.

i am hoping by the end of this year, with all my new experience, my daifuku will also be more attractively put together.

ichigoDaifuku.jpg

Edited by melonpan (log)
"Bibimbap shappdy wappdy wap." - Jinmyo

Wow! those really look great. I've never really thought to much about making my own since I can buy them pretty much anywhere, but you've made it sound so easy..

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Melonpan, my recipe is for very thin mochi, it is very elastic, maybe you like to try this out?

Which water/shiratamako ratio did you use?

It is also helpful to place anko in refrigerator(freezer) for 30 minutes(already wrapped around strawberry)but not longer. Also it is easier to make anko layer very thin.I used shiro-an in my recipe, but I prefer koshi-an too, better taste.

You mochi look good, as I made it first time I even couldn't close the daifuku, all I had were a huge "lump" of mochi/anko /strawberry. :-)(I ate this "lump").

After some practice with my recipe(mochi is very stretchy)it looks like this:(but I'm a maniac, really...);-)

ichigo daifuku a.jpg

Recipe:http://wagashi-net.de/blog/wagashimaniac/2010/05/ichigo-daifuku-2/

What I would like to know, on the other pictures all the daifuku look always so "thick" and somehow fluffy, does anybody know how it is made??

Torakris, your daifuku(I'm jealous, they look so good... ;-)) where they more sweet, like gyuhi mochi(very sweet and soft mochi)?

Edited by Amatō (log)