• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Two days out and about in DC

Fynnicki

I'm planning a couple weekend days out and about in DC before the weather really starts to cool off, and this newbie foodie could use some meal planning assistance.

Day #1 - probably a Saturday - will include my one-year-old daughter, so I'll obviously need to stick to places with a casual or lively atmosphere. I was thinking I'd hit Amernick for a breakfast pastry or two, then stroll all the way down Connecticut and have a light lunch at Teaism. After some museum-hopping, I'll probably head back to Cleveland Park and have dinner at Spices...unless someone could recommend an Indian restaurant where my daughter wouldn't be out of place. It's been a while since I've had a good Indian meal.

Day #2 - probably a Sunday - solo day to include a brunch/early lunch and a relaxed, elegant dinner, with plenty of shopping in between. In theory, I like high-end hotel-style brunch buffets...but the ones I've had over the past year (Cafe Promenade at the Mayflower, Ritz-Carlton at Pentagon City) have proved a tad disappointing for the price. So, I could definitely use some suggestions here - places where I could linger over brunch/lunch for a couple hours without feeling awkward/rushed as a solo dinner. Then, I was thinking of trying the tasting menu at Equinox for dinner - I've had a few lunches there that I have enjoyed immensely, and a dinner of several courses seems like the perfect way to top off my day.

Thanks for your help!

After some museum-hopping, I'll probably head back to Cleveland Park and have dinner at Spices...unless someone could recommend an Indian restaurant where my daughter wouldn't be out of place. It's been a while since I've had a good Indian meal.

Day #2 - probably a Sunday - solo day to include a brunch/early lunch and a relaxed, elegant dinner, with plenty of shopping in between. In theory, I like high-end hotel-style brunch buffets...but the ones I've had over the past year (Cafe Promenade at the Mayflower, Ritz-Carlton at Pentagon City) have proved a tad disappointing for the price. So, I could definitely use some suggestions here - places where I could linger over brunch/lunch for a couple hours without feeling awkward/rushed as a solo dinner. Then, I was thinking of trying the tasting menu at Equinox for dinner - I've had a few lunches there that I have enjoyed immensely, and a dinner of several courses seems like the perfect way to top off my day.

Thanks for your help!

I have two suggestions: for Cleveland Park Indian, check out Indique, I like it much better than Spices. (Although every time I went, I let my Indian buddies order, and that might account for my superior experience.)

If you like grandiose buffet-style brunches, consider TOny & Joe's at Georgetown waterfront, it's quite opulent food-wise. Lots and lots and lots of stuff.

Resident Twizzlebum

Tweaked - could I take my one-year-old to Indique? I've never been, but have wanted to try the place for quite some time. However, the atmosphere looks a bit elegant for a young child. She's not one to scream/cry much in public, but with a child that age you never know...so I'd prefer not to risk disturbing other diners unless the place is pretty lively and a few squeals would go unnoticed.

Thanks!

I'd still be very appreciative of any suggestions for a Sunday brunch/lunch...the more luxurious, the better, so long as the quality of the food matches the price tag.

Melrose at the Park Hyatt Hotel. Full appetizer buffet + menu selections for entree. Good pianist, too.

Mark

Ah, Melrose! I've enjoyed a couple of their holiday buffets and appreciated the quality of both the buffet selections and the entrees. I can only assume that the Sunday brunch follows a similar format? Thanks for the suggestion - this is exactly the sort of atmosphere I'd like.

The other Melrose - the Melrose Hotel - has a restaurant that offers a three course brunch for (I think) $30. I've been two or three times and thought it rather nice.

I'm also partial to the brunch at Peacock Cafe on Prospect in Georgetown. It's especially good if you're into fresh juices (blends like carrot/ginger or pineapple/strawberry/orange).

Ardeo's brunch is one I've been meaning to try.

Indique is fine with a child - it's stylish, but not intimidatingly so. All you need is a reservation.