• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

if food is the new rock'n'roll, Jamie O. is Elvis

Back to the article linked at the start of this thread :

Like Oliver Cromwell, he is marching relentlessly onwards and like Oliver Twist he is shining a spotlight on institutional food. He already has a huge following. The government may not be able to resist Oliver’s army for much longer.
Jamie's not the git one takes him for at first.
Thanks, Jinmyo, for delving deeply into the true import of this entire thread .. which was driven off course but now has resumed as it should!

Is he really a "lightweight" at all? :rolleyes:

Isn't he an influence on social consciousness? :wink:

Does it matter how he speaks if his heart is in the right place on some of these issues?

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

As the mascot for Sainsbury's frozen ready dinners, I'd say not so much.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

As the mascot for Sainsbury's frozen ready dinners, I'd say not so much.

Assuming that the Sainsbury's endorsement is only an infinitely small part of Oliver's overall production of his various areas of interest: television shows, cookbooks, his restaurant, his interest in his daily updated website, his newest foray into school cooking for British youth, his wife Jools and two daughters .. I would say that the lad has a lot of irons in the proverbial fire (not a reference to his minor injury to his private parts) :wink: I admire his ambition and talent and the article at the beginning of this thread seems to validate my comments ... :rolleyes:

Assuming that the Sainsbury's endorsement is only an infinitely small part of Oliver's overall production of his various areas of interest: television shows, cookbooks, his restaurant, his interest in his daily updated website, his newest foray into school cooking for British youth, his wife Jools and two daughters .. I would say that the lad has a lot of irons in the proverbial fire (not a reference to his minor injury to his private parts) :wink: I admire his ambition and talent and the article at the beginning of this thread seems to validate my comments ... :rolleyes:

Melissa, don't get me wrong. I too have a certain admiration and indeed affection for the Fat Tongued One despite his inadmirable afectations. And while his food isn't really something that inspires me in any way, who can object to good ingredients and a lot of fresh herbs? It's good basic stuff.

Filming one advert doesn't take much time. But how many times is it shown and seen? And Jamie's done bushels of them. So they are the greatest influence he has had on the largest number of people.

Still, I think he's here to stay and will be interested to see what kind of King Henry this Prince Hal will make over the years.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Then would that make Tony Bourdain the equivelant of Johnny Cash? Emeril = Jerry Lee Lewis?

Who is Carl Perkins?

And is Food Network the Louisiana Hayride, American Bandstand, or The Grand Ole Opry?

(Is it getting deep in here, or is it just me?)

Carl Perkins = Jack McDavid.

Dick Clark = Jacques. Who else that age has all that hair?

article from the Independent UK

School dinners are such a hot topic even Jamie Oliver is getting involved. But the lunchtimes at St Aidan's are already scoring high marks ....Jamie Oliver has criticised the standards of food served in schools and taken on the task of revamping those of Kidbrooke School in Greenwich in his new TV series, Jamie's School Dinners, due to be screened next year. And River Café chef Rose Gray recently set up a charity called Cooks in Schools, which aims to improve the quality of children's food and health by educating and advising the schools themselves. "You can make delicious food that doesn't cost a lot," she claims.
:wink: Great chap, that guy!

School dinners are such a hot topic even Jamie Oliver is getting involved. But the lunchtimes at St Aidan's are already scoring high marks ....Jamie Oliver has criticised the standards of food served in schools and taken on the task of revamping those of Kidbrooke School in Greenwich in his new TV series, Jamie's School Dinners, due to be screened next year. And River Café chef Rose Gray recently set up a charity called Cooks in Schools, which aims to improve the quality of children's food and health by educating and advising the schools themselves. "You can make delicious food that doesn't cost a lot," she claims.

Good for him. I wish someone would do that here.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Food is the new "thing to eat" and Our Jamie's a lucky line cook gone fab.

And did Elvis ever burn his goods on a roasting pan?

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=40334

That would help to explain all that wriggling about.

Pity that the newer, younger generations who read this, have little, or possibly even, no idea about the "wriggling" and the initial consternation it caused ... :cool:

As for the relation of toasting one's intimate body parts on the oven door?

Why do you suppose that Elvis wrote the song "Hunka Hunka Burning Love"?? :shock::laugh: