• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eating Kangaroo

Hey Adam!

I guess it's not really lannie's fault that (s)he is simply promulgating a popular myth about Aust.

:shock::wink:

'nuff said.

Forget the house, forget the children. I want custody of the red and access to the port once a month.

KEVIN CHILDS.

Doesn't play well with others.

Apologies to any Aussies that were miffed by my roo bar statement.

I wasn't trying to insinuate that Australia has kangaroos running amok all over the place. I suppose it is akin to people thinking that Canada is overrun by bears and beavers. ;-P

However, I do hear that there are a lot of accidents involving kangaroos and other wildlife in the outback and other rural areas.

BTW, when I was in Melbourne in the summer, I did find that there were an unusually high number of flies buzzing around - could really have used one of those cork hats. :wink:

Apologies to any Aussies that were miffed by my roo bar statement.

lannie - not miffed at all. If I could edit the original reply, I would change the " :hmmm: " into a " :smile: " or a " :wink: " or even a " :raz: ", depending on how frisky I was feeling. Put it down to pre-morning coffe posting.

I wasn't trying to insinuate that Australia has kangaroos running amok all over the place. I suppose it is akin to people thinking that Canada is overrun by bears and beavers.

Hah, you can't fool me, I've seen pictures. :wink:

However, I do hear that there are a lot of accidents involving kangaroos and other wildlife in the outback and other rural areas.

I was raised about 4 hours drive inland from Melbourne - mostly incidents involving wildlife in rural areas are not 'accidents' :unsure:, however, everybody has a story about an aunt etc that has hit a kangaroo/swam of grasshoppers/bullock in their car. One day I might tell mine if you are very lucky. :wink:

Edited by Adam Balic (log)

• 2 weeks later...

My friendly meat importer used to bring in bags of frozen kangaroo tenderloin. I bought it a few times and found it to be very easy to cook and quite tasty - oh yeah, and cheap! Freezing doesn't seem to affect it as much as, say, beef. Sadly he's discontinued it. Seems even Hong Kongers don't want to eat Skippy.

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

Sorry but rule 1 is

* If it's slower than me it's food

Rule 2

* If it's faster than me but not bullet proof it's food

That being said I have not found a good source of roo meat here in Texas other than mail order. The problem is ExoticMeats.com wants $60 in shipping. It will have to wait for a BBQ this Spring.

Never trust a skinny chef

• 2 weeks later...

Funny you should post this- We went to dinner at Restaurant Pigalle nearby earlier this week (SF Bay area). It's a small french restaurant, but they serve a different wild game type of meat every night too.

I had the 4 course prix fixe but my husband had the filet of kangaroo in a demi glace. He ordered it rare as recommended, and it was quite tasty. We've never seen it for sale anywhere else and didn't know it was eaten but figured it was akin to venison in the U.S.

• 3 weeks later...

Apparently kangaroo in Australia is increasing. An Aussie friend of mine, who has lived in the US for nearly forty years, visits Australia about every five years. He ate his first kangaroo this past year.

Australians have been consuming kangaroo meat for generations without even knowing it, if popular beliefs are to be upheld. The humble meat pie which ostensibly is composed of ground beef in gravy in a crusty pastry has been rumored to be made from a subtle blend of beef, 'roo and other tasties.

And it's been on menus, markets for years now. Almost artisanal in some circles. Shame on the Aussie who only had it last year, LOL

"Coffee and cigarettes... the breakfast of champions!"