• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

'me time' .. what is your favorite luxury item?

An excellent movie on DVD, preferably with subtitles, wit and attractive people in provacative (ie, very little) clothing.

A bottle of manly red wine. Or two.

A crusty sourdough baguette and a salad of freshest arugula and tomatoes.

And a bucket of 30 spicy wings with all the homemade blue cheese dressing (that being Wishbone BC Dressing spiked with Pirate's Treasure pre-crumbled blue) you can eat.

Edited to add: and a bottle of Texas Pete's chili sauce in case the wings aren't spicy enough already.

Edited by Busboy (log)

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

A killer Cabernet and a good steak cooked just right (black and blue) with creamed spinach

Top Notch champagne with Smoked Salmon on brown bread with unsalted french butter, lemon and freshly ground tellicherry pepper

A selection of excellent cheese with good wine, whatever the pairings dictate.

A bowl of Grand Central Oyster Bar oyster and scallop panroast (expensive because I have to fly from Seattle to NY to get it! Luckily, I have the recipe)

Passionfruit sorbet and a glass of Beaumes de Venise with almond/orange tuilles

Freshly baked Zingerman's no nut brownies with a mug of Celebes/Arabian Mocha french press brew with heavy cream

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

I have an OT question. When did fois gras become foie gras?

My first class in French method of cooking was taught by a Chef Gregoire who pounded it into our heads that it was fois gras and if he found our notes listing foie gras the page would be practically slashed with his red pen....

I seem to be the only one using the spelling as I learned it and notice that most web sites also use the foie instead of fois, except for a few such as this one.

It really doesn't matter all that much, I am just curious....

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

In reality:

A really great bottle of wine, by myself, just because I can.

Capogiro gelato.

An Omakase at Fuji. Or really just go back there and eat a dozen of those achingly perfect Pacific Orchard oysters on the half shell. :wub:

Good coffee - La Colombe at my house.

Good chocolates from Miel Patisserie.

In my vivid fantasy life:

Ming Vases overflowing with Ossetra and well muscled young men in loin cloths butlering silver trays of fine Champagne to accompany and serving me... :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Truffles!!!  Have not dared to try to cook with them on my own, but I did get some truffle butter.

Truffles aren't that hard to cook with at all. If you're up for the splurge, buy a fresh one, slice it superthin, and stick the slices under the skin of a free-range chicken. Roast that baby and you'll be in heaven.

And truffle and lobster scrambled eggs are an astonishingly good thing.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

As a cost-conscious student (can't hardly put 'starving', I've budgeted well for decent food!) - a bottle of Macallan 25.  You could pair that with a friggin' Snickers and it'd be heaven...

I'm with you padre. The Macallan is smoove. I love that stuff.

I have an OT question.  When did fois gras become foie gras?

My first class in French method of cooking was taught by a Chef Gregoire who pounded it into our heads that it was fois gras and if he found our notes listing foie gras the page would be practically slashed with his red pen....

I seem to be the only one using the spelling as I learned it and notice that most web sites also use the foie instead of fois, except for a few such as this one.

It really doesn't matter all that much, I am just curious....

Since foie is French for liver, I think you can be quite sure that anyone who writes fois gras is quite simply spelling it wrong!

Forget Chef Gregoire and his red pen!!

"Fois" means time, as in one time, two times, three times ...

Chloe

North Portugal

Lump crab meat (blue crab) for me. Not for a special occasion or a party. Just a pound of lump, some decent butter, and some finely chopped onion, and a sautee pan. I can be in heaven in about 5 minutes.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Let's eat:

Start at my house for Oysters Moscow and Stoli, hop a flight to Spain for

An hour in any tapas bar in Seville,

then fly to Miami for an hour or two at Joe's Stone Crab (thanks Jason),

...then off to a roadside churrascaria I know just before Angra dos Reis in Brasil,

end it all in Zurich with tiramisu, Pfumliwasser and a good espresso.

Wow. Did I, ...um, go too far here?

I suppose if I was ever on death row and they ask what I want for my last meal, that would be it. But I'd settle for a good burger... :raz:

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

In my vivid fantasy life:

Ming Vases overflowing with Ossetra and well muscled young men in loin cloths butlering silver trays of fine Champagne to accompany and serving me... :biggrin:

Can I invite myself over if this ever happens? :laugh::laugh:

My regular indulgences

Smoked salmon. I would put bagels on the list but it's impossible to find a decent bagel in the Washington DC area. :angry:

Good chocolate, coffee, cheese & olives

Steak. There is nothing quite as bad as crummy steak. Pay the $$ and get the good stuff.

Red wine.

Warm, ripe tomatoes in the summer. It was such a pleasure to grow my own this summer and save the $2/pound at the farmer's market.

Hot buttermilk biscuits slathered with butter and honey. Worth tracking down White Lily flour.

My favorite indulgences are dinners with friends with too much wine and laughter. :smile:

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Can I invite myself over if this ever happens?  :laugh:  :laugh:

Absolutely! If it ever really were to happen with any notice, it would definitely be "Girl's Night!" :laugh:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

an absolutely beautiful bottle of rose champagne

a full Magnum of a nice old Chateauneuf du Pape (sp?)

1969 Port

oysters: would need some east coast, west coast and French coast

a full on caviar sampler, does the Iranian really hold up to the Russian beluga? you know, one of those discussions

foie/fois gras with carmelized pears. I'm not at all picky about how you spell it, just serve it.

lobster with white truffles (I actually had this once, and I can still conjure up the taste and smell, and I would like to have it again, please)

elk. I really, really like elk and only get it when a hunter friend gets lucky.

and some very good friends to laugh with and share with.