• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tom Sietsema's 2004 Fall Dining Guide

babka

Now, now.  No wonder they call us "food snobs." There are a number of perfectly nice people out there who spend their lives commuting to work, raising children, volunteering for the homeless or just hanging out with a beer on a glorious day rather than "exploring the restaurant scene," but who nonetheless appreciate a nice meal every now and again.

Or those interested folks who can't afford to "explore the scene" and don't want to risk a bad meal or experience on their one night out every few months.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

I can't wait to see all the irate posts on Tom's Monday chat from people complaining that their favorite didn't make it on the list even though they didn't bother to read the intro. *sigh*

I was surprised to see Two Amy's with three stars. That might be the most casual place he's ever bestowed the honor on... which I like because casual spots are the easiest to make "favorites." But if Two Amy's gets three, why not Firefly?

Amanda

Metrocurean, a D.C. restaurant and food blog

I think Two Amys received 3 stars previously in his book (Paradiso might've as well, I don't have a copy right now in front of me). Huong Que previously received 3 stars, downgraded now to 2. Buck's definitely deserves their 3 stars, every meal I've had there has been fabulous and it's less expensive than Nectar & Palena (backroom).

i was surprised to see sweetwater tavern on there. but i guess it's good news for people who live far out in the suburbs.

I wanna say something. I'm gonna put it out there; if you like it, you can take it, if you don't, send it right back. I want to be on you.

I never enjoy the dining guide chats.

Tom - why do you only include places in Maryland?

Tom - why do you only include places in the city?

Tom - why don't you include more places in Virginia?

Tom - why are there so many expensive places on the list?

Tom - why did you put so many cheap eats on the list?

Tom - I can't believe ______ is on the list.

Tom - I can't believe ______ is not on the list.

Tom - I never learned to read and I feel discriminated against that you, year after year, choose to present the dining guide as a written piece.

Tom - I'm on a diet and it's not fair for the Post to write a whole magazine about food.

Tom - I hate stars.

I never enjoy the dining guide chats.

Tom - why do you only include places in Maryland?

Tom - why do you only include places in the city?

Tom - why don't you include more places in Virginia?

Tom - why are there so many expensive places on the list?

Tom - why did you put so many cheap eats on the list?

Tom - I can't believe ______ is on the list.

Tom - I can't believe ______ is not on the list.

Tom - I never learned to read and I feel discriminated against that you, year after year, choose to present the dining guide as a written piece.

Tom - I'm on a diet and it's not fair for the Post to write a whole magazine about food.

Tom - I hate stars.

And don't forget the perennial favorite:

"Tom, my six girlfriends along with three babies, two cats and one handicapped canary want to go out tonight to a place that's stylish, fun and not too expensive, reachable by metro, frequented by beautiful people, is vegetarian-friendly, has live music and doesn't require reservations. We like all kinds of food except Italian, French, Japanese, Mexican, anything spicy is out as is anything that once swam in the sea. Any ideas for us???"

Resident Twizzlebum

And don't forget the perennial favorite:

"Tom, my six girlfriends along with three babies, two cats and one handicapped canary want to go out tonight to a place that's stylish, fun and not too expensive, reachable by metro, frequented by beautiful people, is vegetarian-friendly, has live music and doesn't require reservations. We like all kinds of food except Italian, French, Japanese, Mexican, anything spicy is out as is anything that once swam in the sea. Any ideas for us???"

And the table has to be easy to breastfeed at.

Poor Tom. I don't know how he does it, but am so glad he does.

Edited by eunny jang (log)

A'right, y'all. Fess up. Who is Dumfries, VA????? It sure ain't me. (I would have picked Bumpass, Va, actual place near Lake Anna.)

Dumfries, Va.: Tom, my six girlfriends along with three babies, two cats and one handicapped canary want to go out tonight to a place that's stylish, fun and not too expensive, reachable by metro, frequented by beautiful people, is vegetarian-friendly, has live music and doesn't require reservations. We like all kinds of food except Italian, French, Japanese, Mexican, anything spicy is out as is anything that once swam in the sea. Any ideas for us???

Tom Sietsema: What, you don't want a room with a view, too?

Resident Twizzlebum

Ha! Love the last comment, paraphrased slightly:

"Tom, I live in NYC, which is the greatest city in the world, and has much better food than Washington.  When I, with my sophisticated and discerning palate visited your backwater burgh, found that your starred reviews were not in line with what Bruni, Our God, would have given.  Your restaurants have no comparison to ours! Why do you suck?"

You're right, Eunny, Tom's got the patience of a saint. I'd have lost it ages ago.

Matt Robinson

Prep for dinner service, prep for life! A Blog

Ha! Love the last comment, paraphrased slightly:

Slightly?? I'm wondering if "NYC manhatten" was traumatized by punctuation as a child.

Tom, Ilive in a diverse city dedicated to fine fine cuisine and was going over your star rating comments and I have eaten in Washington, D.C. many many times and see that you have given ratings for 3 stars to some resturants that should only warrent a 2 star, some of these resturants would only make a 1 star in NYC.
"Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cookbook! Little Red Cookbook!" --Eddie Izzard

Whatever else you want to say about Tom, the man is clearly not laying down on the job. 650 restaurant meals in the past year! (I hope to Hell he didn't mean year to date.) He's, like, the Wilt Chamberlain of cuisine. Tom Seatsomuch, we dub you.

"Mine goes off like a rocket." -- Tom Sietsema, Washington Post, Feb. 16.

• 2 weeks later...

I was researching lunch suggestions for a friend and went to the dining guide to see if Breadline is open on Saturdays. I didn't think it was, and indeed it is not, but the guide says that it's open until 5 on weekdays. I'm pretty sure that's incorrect. When I get there at 2:30 some days they are well on their way to being closed (for 3 or 3:30 which is what I had been going on until now), to the point where I almost feel bad ordering food! Anybody else run into possible factual errors in the guide?

Edited by Chef Shogun (log)

Matt Robinson

Prep for dinner service, prep for life! A Blog