• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best sushi in Vegas?

I'm visiting Las Vegas from Maryland for the first time over Halloween weekend, as my sister is getting married by a fake Elvis.

I would love to take my mom, a recent sushi convert, to the best place out there (somewhat affordable, though). Any recommendations?

Pretty much every hotel on the strip has at least one Japanese/sushi restaurant, so it's very hard to say which is best. There is a Nobu here, which I've heard is quite good. Shibuya in the MGM Grand is the newest and coolest, and I think a member here ate there recently and was impressed. I think a few people have also recommended Crustacean at the Aladdin.

I've heard good things about Osaka, which is less glitzy and off the strip, billing itself as the first sushi restaurant in Las Vegas.

There is a Nobu here, which I've heard is quite good.

***My only Las Vegas sushi-type experience as been at Nobu...maybe 3 or 4 times and I've really enjoyed it.

That said, I've ordered the omakase menu both times and those have included more than sushi...think I even had a little fois gras once.

So..it's not a sushi restaurant in the classic sense...but very good food!

Heading for LAS VEGAS on Sunday.....YIPPEE !!

• 1 year later...

Sushi for lunch is a little tricky since most of the high-end Strip places are only open for dinner. You might have to head off the strip to a locals place.

By the way, since the last time this thread came up I've eaten at Shibuya and was very impressed. The best meal I've had in Vegas since I moved here.

Sushi for lunch is a little tricky since most of the high-end Strip places are only open for dinner. You might have to head off the strip to a locals place.

By the way, since the last time this thread came up I've eaten at Shibuya and was very impressed. The best meal I've had in Vegas since I moved here.

I find that Nobu is not generally considered to be a good sushi place. It's a good place for Matsuhisa-style food -- in fact, I often hear people say it's the best food they've had in their entire life, but for sushi...

Osaka and Hamada of Japan are usually at the top of the list, with Osaka being the higher of the two.

Just thought I'd bump this back up since I'm heading to Vegas tomorrow and am looking for a place to have sushi for lunch.

Any thoughts on what's good now?

I highly recommend Sushi Factory on W. Tropicana, they are open for lunch and dinner. They have set meal options, ala carte sushi (both nigiri and rolls) or a very reasonable all you can eat lunch. The fish is very fresh and of high quality.

i just got back yesterday and stayed at the mgm. we loved shibuya! it is only open for dinner but try it out. some real nice sake's and very creative entree's.

what day do you arrive? jimmy buffet is there on the 29'th so beware! busyyyyyy! the parrot heads were allover on the 22'nd also. have a great time!

• 10 months later...

We ate at Okada last week and it was great. The sashimi (otoro, kampachi, madai, and aji) was all wonderful. Just extremely high quality fish. We also went with a few robotayaki items: scallops, duck breast, pork short ribs, rice ball. The pork short ribs were the best of the bunch (I had to have an extra order for dessert). We also jumped around the menu a bit with some additional hot and cold small plates. All were very good. I would definitely return.

-Josh

Now blogging at http://jesteinf.wordpress.com/

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

One night stand at the Venetian (interpret that on the "G" side of the rating scale). Need a top-rate sushi recommendation. I am more than willing to go outside the hotel. Budget isn't much of a concern.

N.B. Won't have wheels, prefer to walk.

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

My favorite is Okada, right next door at Wynn Las Vegas. I've eaten there over a dozen times, and have yet to be disappointed. The fish is fresh, the chefs are friendly, and the atmosphere is excellent. For a more verbose description, see my review at http://home.comcast.net/~lasvegasvacation/...uide_Okada.html.