• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Oceanaire Seafood Room

DonRocks

We here in Atlanta are awaiting the opening of Oceanaire with, God forgive me, baited breath! It appears that they have a great deal to offer and we are somewhat "landlocked" in the heart of Georgia ...

Think they have sold the petrale souls for this great business move? :rolleyes:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

$20 million for a 45.4% stake values the business at about $44 million. They have only 5 restaurants and plan to add 4 more. That's almost $5 million per restaurant.

Edited to add: They seem to be pretty smart with how they replicate their restaurants from city to city. I know that when they opened up their Indianapolis location, Jason, the former manager of the DC location moved to Indianapolis to open it up and manage it. The DC location is generally packed on any given evening.

Further edited to correct the third-grade arthmetic.

Edited by mnebergall (log)

Let's get it all out of the way now:

I sure hope the investment doesn't flounder

Good Cod, that's a lot of money!

Have their finances been exsalmoned?

Is the deal seeled?

Maybe this will end the carping about this place

What if it turns out to be a dissapointment like Oysteria?

I guess they have no excuse to shrimp on quality.

Talk about angelfish investors for a belugard establishment.

Should I keep sturgeon for more? Haddock-nuff yet?

Is the deal seeled?

Should I keep sturgeon for more?  Haddock-nuff yet?

I'll just add that they are scrod if it doesn't pan out

Is the deal seeled?

Should I keep sturgeon for more?  Haddock-nuff yet?

[Reef-rain from spawning off-tropic post-stings, Uni.]

• 6 months later...

(BUMP)

I keep hearing terrific things about this place, as a matter of fact, just twice this past week. And now, the RAMMY's have included Chef Rob Klink as one of its five contenders for top Rising Star (along with Cathal Armstrong of Restaurant Eve, Katsuya Fukushima of Café Atlantico, Johnny Monis of Komi, and Bryan Voltaggio of Charlie Palmer Steak).

Anyone been lately? What can you report?

I like to cook with wine. Sometimes I even add it to the food.

(BUMP)

I keep hearing terrific things about this place, as a matter of fact, just twice this past week.  And now, the RAMMY's have included Chef Rob Klink as one of its five contenders for top Rising Star (along with Cathal Armstrong of Restaurant Eve, Katsuya Fukushima of Café Atlantico, Johnny Monis of Komi, and Bryan Voltaggio of Charlie Palmer Steak).

Anyone been lately? What can you report?

Get the big shellfish platter and crabcakes for main course. You won't have room for anything else. Those are the things they do best.

Mark

The crabcakes are not what I would call "maryland style." In my experience, most Maryland style crabcakes are made with backfin crab. The ones at Oceanaire are made with lumb crab and are held together by gravity. I had one on Saturday and I believe it to be the best in town. There is a appetizer portion; the entree is basically a double of the appetizer. A very tastey remoulade sauce as well.

The crabcakes are not what I would call "maryland style."  In my experience, most Maryland style crabcakes are made with backfin crab.  The ones at Oceanaire are made with lumb crab and are held together by gravity.  I had one on Saturday and I believe it to be the best in town.  There is a appetizer portion; the entree is basically a double of the appetizer.  A very tastey remoulade sauce as well.

I would debate whether there really is a "Maryland Style" crabcake. Everyone has a different way to make them. The one's at G&M and The Prime Rib are filled with huge lumps, but they are very different in style. Joe H. will have to chime in about the Narrows, but I remember him saying that they were made with lump as well. I would agree that the crabcakes at Oceanaire are one of the best in the area, but I still think that The Prime Rib has them beat, but not by much.