• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Avocado and Cornstarch

NeroW

My sous chef insists that if you put unripe avocado in a plastic baggie with cornstarch surrounding it, the avocado will ripen more quickly.

Is this true, or what? Is there something in the cornstarch that could possibly ripen the avocado more quickly?

:huh:

I keep telling him that perhaps if he pulled all the avocado out of the 41-degree walk-in, that might solve the problem.

Noise is music. All else is food.

I can't imagine cornstarch having anything to do with it. If you put it in a bag with an apple, things might accelerate. The apple gives off ethylene gas which goes to ripening.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

A banana peel is the quickest way of ripening an avocado or a dozen or more, in a brown paper bag.

Avocados do not ripen until after they have been picked or fallen off the tree. My friends, with whom I spend the Christmas holidays every year in Yorba Linda, have an avocado tree. I pick them early one morning, rock hard, put them in a bag with a banana peel and by the following afternoon they are ready to eat. Otherwise, just sitting on the counter, they will take a week to ripen.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Ethylene gas makes things "ripen". As andie says, bananas are another excellent source. If the ripening process makes carrots bitter, then I would have to say yes. I just never heard of it making carrots bitter.

BTW... Those green bags and green discs for putting into the produce drawer in the fridge... They have a catalyst that sucks up ethylene. That is how they work.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

actually ive never put a banana peel in the brown bag to ripen the avacado but i have used a brown bag and put it in the window sill and they have usually ripened within three or four days....maybe i ought to add the banana peel.....lol

Edited by ladyyoung98 (log)

a recipe is merely a suggestion

Does the ethylene gas have any other effect, similar to making carrots taste bitter?

Some carrots just grow bitter and woody, too, and the gas has nothing to do with that. It's their nature, though this is changing, even as we speak, in the carrot growing industry.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver