• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

name your favorite sodapop

glenn

I have to say, and people can sneer if they want, nothing beats a diet Dr. Pepper. And in some areas of the country, it is near impossible to find. The sugar stuff, sure. But for us diet fans... bleh.

Diet Dr. Pepper is my choice of cold, carbonated caffeine in the morning, so for me it's important to find it. We sorts don't have a coffee emporium on every corner. *snerkle*

Why sneer? It's the single best Diet soda made. Screw the infinite crappy Diet Colas when there's a Diet Doctor Pepper around.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

• 4 weeks later...
You'll discussion of GUS here.

As I've already stated, I was not very impressed.

BTW, my all-time favorite pink grapefruit soda is by Hansen's.  I don't know if it's available on this coast.

new info for a old thread http://www.bevnet.com/news/2004/12-03-2004-GuS.asp

dave s

"Food is our common ground,a universal experience"

James Beard

I don't have a particular brand loyalty, though Boylan's, IBC, and Thomas Kemperer are pretty good and I want to try Moxie and Hansen's, my favorite soda is Vanilla Cream (preferably served with a grilled chicken breast sandwhich with lettuce & mayo on a poppyseed Kaiser and potato salad).

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

If we're talking mainstream, then my favourite would have to be Pepsi Twist. If we're including "mico-breweries" and artisinal soda, I'd give the win to any artisinal root beer. Mmm. I even think Dad's is great. Barq's however, is simply not.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Top soda that I grew up with was BigRed Soda http://www.sodapopstop.com/products/detail.cfm?link=92

It tasted differed based on the container it was in. The tall neck bottle was better then the can which was better then the plastic bottle. I kind of tastes like liquid bubble with an extra burst of carbonation (think 16 year old burbs).

Of course there are others but this is the one I'll grab over anything else if available.

Jason

I'll second Blenheim's ginger ale. It's from Tennessee or somewhere and pretty hard to find, at least on the west coast. The previous poster mentioned that there are different colored caps. They correspond to different amounts of ginger. I haven't had one for a year or so, but I think it was the pink cap that sets your hair on fire - you drink, then gasp for air for awhile, then enjoy the endorphins. So hot but a great clean flavor as well.

If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made of meat?

If you have a reason to be in Los Angeles, Galco's would be worth a visit. They have an enormous selection of sodas. That is the "brick and mortar" for http://www.sodapopstop.com. The store has more soda than the website, I believe. Or maybe you could contact them and they would share how they deal with distribution issues.

For sheer eye candy, nothing beats Los Jarritos.

Craig

It's weird, I hadn't tried a Dr. Pepper in over 30 years because I didn't like it when I was a kid. I was at a Taco Bell last week and they stopped selling Root beer (and I am trying to drink less Cola, because of potasium) so tried Dr. Pepper, and I think I liked it.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

For day-to-day, I prefer Diet Coke. And, no, Diet Pepsi is not the same. If someone gives me Diet Pepsi, it goes back.

Sometimes I'll drink the Diet Barq's root beer, and sometimes the real deal IBC root beer. There's a yellow creme soda that is great, too, but I don't recall the name.

Rhonda

I am trying in vain to remember the name of the locally-distributed sodas my folks used to get when I was a little kid in the suburbs of New York in the 1960s. They had a wonderful array of fruit flavors, some of them quite unusual especially in that time period (I want to say they had a pineapple flavor, but memory is fuzzy on that point). It wasn't in supermarkets; we had to go to some distributor-place to pick it up; it only came in big glass bottles, I'm guessing quart-sized, which we regularly recycled back to the distributor whenever we came back to pick up another case or two. Does any of this ring a bell with anyone?!?

Obligatory on-topic comment: these days, my favorite brand, like others here, is Hansen's--their diet flavors taste better than the norm for diet, and use Splenda rather than Nutrasweet. If no Hansen's is available, I'll go for a Diet Dr. Pepper. And I have a nostaglic fondness for Dr. Brown's Cel-Ray Soda--the optimum beverage to accompany yer overstuffed deli-style pastrami on rye. :smile:

I am trying in vain to remember the name of the locally-distributed sodas my folks used to get when I was a little kid in the suburbs of New York in the 1960s. They had a wonderful array of fruit flavors, some of them quite unusual especially in that time period (I want to say they had a pineapple flavor, but memory is fuzzy on that point). It wasn't in supermarkets; we had to go to some distributor-place to pick it up; it only came in big glass bottles, I'm guessing quart-sized, which we regularly recycled back to the distributor whenever we came back to pick up another case or two. Does any of this ring a bell with anyone?!?

Obligatory on-topic comment: these days, my favorite brand, like others here, is Hansen's--their diet flavors taste better than the norm for diet, and use Splenda rather than Nutrasweet. If no Hansen's is available, I'll go for a Diet Dr. Pepper. And I have a nostaglic fondness for Dr. Brown's Cel-Ray Soda--the optimum beverage to accompany yer overstuffed deli-style pastrami on rye. :smile:

Mizducky, I believe the brand was Cott's; I grew up on Long Island during the (ahem) same time frame, judging by looks... Maybe Hammer, too; but to my memory they only had gingerale (after the drama. pale dry by Hammer...)

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

It's weird, I hadn't tried a Dr. Pepper in over 30 years because I didn't like it when I was a kid.  I was at a Taco Bell last week and they stopped selling Root beer (and I am trying to drink less Cola, because of potasium) so tried Dr. Pepper, and I think I liked it.

I grew up drinking Dr Pepper as my mom went to Baylor and a trip to the plant (along with seeing the bears) was part of the trip. I did it a couple of summers ago when I was passing through , the plant/museum is still worth the trip.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...