• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fresh young ginger

redfox

Last week, I got a couple of ounces of freshly harvested ginger root, not counting the stems, which are still attached, from my community-sponsored agriculture plan. I don't think I've ever had such tender young ginger before. It's not TONS of ginger, enough to candy en masse, say -- I can eat half a pound of crystallized ginger in a sitting or two -- but substantially more than I would use in ordinary applications. There may be more forthcoming this week, or there may not. So:

1. How should I be storing it to maximize its youthful goodness? Counter, fridge, freezer? Should the stems stay on, or should they go? Are the stems good for anything?

2. Any suggestions for a delicious application or two that would make use of its goodness before the bloom wears off?

"went together easy, but I did not like the taste of the bacon and orange tang together"

When nice, fresh, juicy ginger appears in my Asian market, I buy a big hunk of it. Then I clean, peel, and slice it and store it in rice wine vinegar in the fridge for later use. I do the same thing when galangal is available.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

If you want to keep it in its "native" form, just wrap it in paper towels then put in a plastic bag (don't seal it) and store it in the crisper drawer.

I have some in a basket that has been sitting in a corner of my kitchen since it was dug up a month ago. I just looked at it and some of it has begun to sprout and some had dried a little, but unless it gets mold on it, it is still good to use.

If you want to keep it longer, get a bag of clean sand (like play ground sandbox sand) at your local home store (Target has it in the nursery department in small bags) put the sand in a pretty flower pot that has a drip tray and moisten the sand a little, not too much.

Bury the ginger in the sand and it will keep for months. It may sprout and put up a stem but that is no problem. When you need a piece, just yank it out of the sand, break off what you need, leave it on the counter overnight for the broken spot to "heal" then stick it back in the sand.

Or your can peel it as others have said and store it in sherry or wine.

Ginger is easier to peel if you blanch it, just as you would a tomato or a peach, then use the tip of a rounded spoon to scrape off the skin which is now loosened. Much easier than using a knife.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett