• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Who does ONE thing really well?

Jason Perlow

I'm interested in places that specialize in something and excel exceedingly well at it -- could be dump/shacky type place or a restaurant specializing in a particular dish. Could be any particular food or drink item. Any ethnicity.

Bergen, Hudson, Essex and Morris County, you name it.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Crossroads Eatery across from the train station in Wayne makes a killer Taylor Ham Egg and Cheese sandwich. It's been killing me a little bit for years!! :biggrin:

It is darn tasty though.....DARN tasty

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

Crossroads Eatery across from the train station in Wayne makes a killer Taylor Ham Egg and Cheese sandwich. It's been killing me a little bit for years!! :biggrin:

It is darn tasty though.....DARN tasty

Now there's a true Joisey and environs product for you...Taylor ham!

It does not always travel out to the rest of the country.

(Please don't 'boo' me, but I had almost forgotten about it...thanks for the reminder. :smile: )

P.S. Whaddya think...does Taylor Ham belong in the List Your Ham thread or not? It is called one, but it is really a sort of pork roll, isn't it?

Edited by Carrot Top (log)

Now there's a true Joisey and environs product for you...Taylor ham!

It does not always travel out to the rest of the country.

(Please don't 'boo' me, but I had almost forgotten about it...thanks for the reminder. :smile: )

P.S. Whaddya think...does Taylor Ham belong in the List Your Ham thread or not? It is called one, but it is really a sort of pork roll, isn't it?

I would consider Taylor Ham "ham" as much as I would consider a hamburger "ham"... :biggrin:

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

Here's a short list that comes to mind.

Jerry's Englewood, three liter house brand Sicilian Evoo for $9.99. Super.

Hot Grill Clifton, FF all the way. Spicy mustard, chopped onions, chili over crispy fries add a little hot sauce and you've got a masterpeice.

Calandra Bakery Fairfeild, round Italian rolls and seeded French bread. Baked fresh every hour 7am to 9pm.

Rockland Bakery Nanuet NY, Kaiser rolls. Pick your own straight from the ovens.

Fatals Bakery Patterson, falafels straight from the fryer. They also make great cheese pies in their brick oven besides having anice selection of Middle Eastern groceries and a Halal butcher in store that makes excellent Syrian style spicy sausages (lamb).

Thats just a few to get started.

I'm a NYC expat. Since coming to the darkside, as many of my freinds have said, I've found that most good things in NYC are made in NJ.

Denville Dairy and Applegate Farms both do ice cream REALLY well!!

DD is an old family favorite, though...

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

The Dynasty - 100 Rte 22W Green Brook for the best Hong Kong style Dim Sum.

Better than most places Chinatown can offer. Always very crowded on weekends and the wait may get long. No longer the bargain it used to be and may now even be the priciest Dim Sum in all of NJ but the quality of the food remains very high and consistent. Definitely worth the wait and expense.

Tim and his staff are very friendly and helpful.

Cirilo

"There is something uncanny in the noiseless rush of the cyclist, as he comes into view, passes by, and disappears."

Popular Science, 1891

Denville Dairy and Applegate Farms both do ice cream REALLY well!! 

DD is an old family favorite, though...

Would have to agree about Applegate's, especially that graham cracker flavor they've had. WOW!! That was delicious. My one complaint about the place (and I go to the on on Grove Street, which is dangerously close to my house) is that it takes a LONG time to get your ice cream. I sometimes wonder if they're scooping the stuff with the tiny plastic spoons we use to eat.

"After all, these are supposed to be gutsy spuds, not white tablecloth social climbers."

Rutt's Hutt, Clifton- Rippers(Dogs)

Lenny and John's, Bloomfield ave, Bloomfield- Sub sandwiches, you have to try them to realize how much better they are than everyone else

Jenkinson's Pier, Point Pleasant, Onion rings(Oh my GOD!)

Belmont Tavern, Bloomfield Ave, Newark- Chicken Savoy

Two Mile Landing, Wildwood, Crabs, crabs, crabs, especially the garlic crabs

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

Um, and DUH...Nasto's makes some great fruit sorbets, in particular the pear. They're in the Ironbound, but lots of restaurants serve their stuff.

I find it ironic that I've only come up with ice creamsuggestions, as it's not one of the top items on my list--but when I'm in the mood for it, I do go out of my way for the right stuff!!

I'll also add India on the Hudson for bhel puri and their chicken pasanda badami.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

Let me add two more:

Village Baker, Clifton. Besides having some great pastry they make killer ruggelusch (esp. the chocolate and the cinn. raisin)

Homemade Pierogi, Clifton. All varieties esp. the mushroom :smile::smile:

Edited by Double 0 (log)

I'm a NYC expat. Since coming to the darkside, as many of my freinds have said, I've found that most good things in NYC are made in NJ.

colgibney, nice to see another Hobokenite on the board (be forewarned, i don't think most of the restaurants in town are very good).

La Bella Roma Pizzeria (Paramus) does Chicken Parm Heros very well. I've been eating them for the last 20 years and is the one i compare all others to.

Calandra Bakery Fairfeild, round Italian rolls and seeded French bread. Baked fresh every hour 7am to 9pm.

I've had Calandra's bread a few times and find it pales in comparison to Verrilli's bakery in Morristown. Just make sure you get there early in the day. The bread used to come out of the oven around 11:00, but I think they're baking earlier now. And don't go on the weekends.

Jyoti, rt. 46, fairfield does butter chicken better than anyone else. But stay away from the saag.

Can somebody please explain to me what Taylor Ham is and if it is a New Jersey product? How is it different from boiled ham or any other processed ham cold cut? My FIL has a store in Upper Saddle River and everytime I am there at the store (visiting from Florida) he makes those Taylor ham, egg and cheese sandwiches.

Cheers,

Rich

South Florida

The stuff you know. :wacko:

Ibby's in Jersey City for felafels.

Madame Claude in JC for mussels in musard sauce.

I'd second Madame Claude's for Mussels and I'd add their Steak Frites! So I guess that makes two things they do really well. (My house in the US is down the street and I'm there at least three times a week when I'm in NJ)

Edited by echriste (log)

Eric Christenson

Basel, Switzerland

echriste@mindspring.com