• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

As I Pay, Crying...

eunny jang

Once upon a time (let's say three or four years ago), I got very into food and with the help of resources I won't discuss here, I ate out often enough at cool enough places that the only things in my fridge were Red Bull and a container of ikura.

Then, I went back to school, was suddenly broke, and taught myself to cook. I got so hopelessly out of the loop that when I read the daily traffic here and think of all you out-and-about, I might as well be reading People Magazine or Roxanne Roberts - totally alien to me. If it opened in the last three years, I haven't been there. Now, I'm finally making a respectable living, and I've decided that budget-be-darned, I'm going to eat my way around the city.

Since it's not budget-be-damned, I've determined that after my (foolishly obscene) rent and the various and sundry other things that I spend my hard-earned money on, if I scale back just a little on the crack and the hookers, I can spend about three (but not more than four) hundred dollars or so a month on serious eating.

Assuming that this doesn't include lunch, takeout and happy-hour/late-night booze, where do I start? What are the important places I need to go to? Help me plan....

How much is wine going to figure into this? Because that's where the money goes. Or, at least, that's where my money seems to go. I lose track after the first few bottles...

"Mine goes off like a rocket." -- Tom Sietsema, Washington Post, Feb. 16.

Nectar , Palena back room , Restaurant Eve and Cityzen you should try if you havent, in my opinion.

I havent been to Citronelle , Maestro or Galileo , but a trip to LA just to try 2 restaurants ,( Patina in food , Bastide in food and impressive service ) is definitely worth it. for this you might want to save your money for at least 2 months I guess :cool:

Corduroy

General Manager

1122 Ninth Street, NW

Washington DC 20001

www.corduroydc.com

202 589 0699

Since it's not budget-be-damned, I've determined that after my (foolishly obscene) rent and the various and sundry other things that I spend my hard-earned money on, if I scale back just a little on the crack and the hookers, I can spend about three (but not more than four) hundred dollars or so a month on serious eating. 

Eunny, a good, less expensive way of eating around what normally are blow-the-budget joints is to order off the bar menu that many of them have. It usually comes from the same kitchen, but is priced 20% to 30% below regular menu rates. Also, you'll be in the bar and surrounded (hopefully) by studly men. Many posh places have such an arrangement (with bar menu, not studs). Palena, Citronelle, Bis, CP, Vidalia, Tosca...the list goes on. If you like what you eat at the bar, you can then plan a visit to the actual dining room.

Resident Twizzlebum

I second what Nadya said about the value of eating at the bar. You'll get to chat up the bartender, servers, etc. and get good tips about ordering and a sneak preview. I'd add to that going for lunch -- usually more moderately priced and less expectation of a hefty wine tab.

Kick off your new adventure by joining us at Corduroy next week.

Places on my list (in no particular order and in no way complete):

Nectar -- this has to be high on your list given all the coverage it gets here

Firefly

Citronelle -- I know I just advocated eating at the bar but for some reason I have a mental block doing that here despite encouraging words from Mark. I have a mental thing about wanting to fully experience this place so I keep looking for the right reason to go. I need to get over that.

Ray's the Steaks

Tosca -- go for the pre-theater menu for $32 and love every bite

Ceiba

Go back to Nectar because really, one meal there isn't enough

Eve

Indique

Yanyu - go before they change their menu

Palena - and as fabulous as the cafe menu is either go for the back room or at least order a la carte off the full menu

Edited by laniloa (log)

How much is wine going to figure into this? Because that's where the money goes.

I'm not sure - I'm sort of a wine idiot, though I'm reading and trying. I suspect I'd just ask servers for glasses to go with everything I ate.

How about just eat at two star restaurants in New York. Take Chinatown bus ($35 round trip), visit old friend, let old friend buy you first round. Sleep on cot in old friend's lovely apartment. Feel fulfilled, cultured and less than deprived. And realize:

By golly, NYC can be cheaper than DC!

Go to Il Laboratorio at Galileo. Order the wine pairing (which appears to be "all you can drink," btw) they offer, in which case the wine will cost less than the food. Go early in the month, so if he's offering his truffle menu, you can spend the rest of your month's budget by ordering it and spending the night in inexplicable bliss.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Never give up the crack and hookers, eunny...never never never. You CAN have it all. :biggrin:

Rob

Never give up the crack and hookers, eunny...never never never.  You CAN have it all. :biggrin:

Rob

Three or four hundred dollars won't really buy you much in the way of crack or quality hookers, but you can eat some pretty good meals on that.

No one's mentioned it and it kinda gets a bad (or no) rap around here, but the Inn at Little Washington is someplace you have to go once if you're serious about trying the best places. It's a long drive and expensive, but it is very very good. The biggest complaint I have heard about it is that the menu doesn't change over time. But if you're only going once, that doesn't matter, does it.

It just means that you'd need to eat Pho one or two meals or go to a $25 'ho to make up for the expense.

Edited by bilrus (log)

Bill Russell

Once upon a time (let's say three or four years ago), I got very into food and with the help of resources I won't discuss here, I ate out often enough at cool enough places that the only things in my fridge were Red Bull and a container of ikura.

Was the better part of the unmentioned resources one of those sugar daddies who likes young Asian girls? I had one of those before my surgery. <joke> <joke> <forgive, forget> :raz::raz::raz::raz:

:angry:

Anyway, in my haste to find a clever title for this thread, I guess I put more of an emphasis on value/cheap eats than I meant to. I guess what I was really trying to say was, "What are the important places I need to go to, in order?" It may mean that I eat out only once or twice a month, but I want to eat my way around the city good and proper.

Three or four hundred dollars won't really buy you much in the way of crack or quality hookers, but you can eat some pretty good meals on that.

No one's mentioned it and it kinda gets a bad (or no) rap around here, but the Inn at Little Washington is someplace you have to go once if you're serious about trying the best places.  It's a long drive and expensive, but it is very very good.  The biggest complaint I have heard about it is that the menu doesn't change over time.  But if you're only going once, that doesn't matter, does it.

It just means that you'd need to eat Pho one or two meals or go to a $25 'ho to make up for the expense.

Bill,

The main reason for your complaint and the fact that few people here have been there is because The Inn at Little Wasington is in Little Washington,Virginia, not Washington, DC. Also, because it is really expensive. A question: why doesn't Middleburg have a thread?

Mark

Bill,

The main reason for your complaint and the fact that few people here have been there is because The Inn at Little Wasington is in Little Washington,Virginia,  not Washington, DC. Also, because it is really expensive. A question: why doesn't Middleburg have a thread?

Exactly! Hell we can hardly get people across the river to try a restaurant in Crystal City!

Wearing jeans to the best restaurants in town.

Great question! I'd love to hear of a good restaurant there.

Not to veer to far from Eunny's topic, but I've had some pretty good things from Market Salamander - Very good crab cakes, mac and cheese and pulled pork that I can remember off the top of my head.

Bill Russell