• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ok...I'm cheating...

I'm going to attempt to cook something out of Bourdain's new book this weekend, and I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions on pre-made Demi Glace that I can find locally.

Thanks! :smile:

Jason

"So, do you want me to compromise your meal for you?" - Waitress at Andy's Diner, Dec 4th, 2004.

The Fat Boy Guzzle --- 1/2 oz each Jack Daniels, Wild Turkey, Southern Comfort, Absolut Citron over ice in a pint glass, squeeze 1/2 a lemon and top with 7-up...Credit to the Bar Manager at the LA Cafe in Hong Kong who created it for me on my hire. Thanks, Byron. Hope you are well!

http://bloatitup.com

I think larry's carries frozen demi made inhouse.

I'm going to attempt to cook something out of Bourdain's new book this weekend, and I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions on pre-made Demi Glace that I can find locally.

Thanks! :smile:

Jason

The Beef Bourginone (yeah, I know I know I probably mispelled it. :raz: )

My wife has laid down the law...I am to buy no more cookbooks until I have made her something out of each of them...but I could not resist Bourdain's.

Can't make (ok, afford) the Brasa dinner, but who will I see November 7th at Third Place Books in Lake Forest Park?

I'll letcha know how it turns out...

"So, do you want me to compromise your meal for you?" - Waitress at Andy's Diner, Dec 4th, 2004.

The Fat Boy Guzzle --- 1/2 oz each Jack Daniels, Wild Turkey, Southern Comfort, Absolut Citron over ice in a pint glass, squeeze 1/2 a lemon and top with 7-up...Credit to the Bar Manager at the LA Cafe in Hong Kong who created it for me on my hire. Thanks, Byron. Hope you are well!

I haven't used it but there are little expensive jars sold at Met Market and also Williams Sonoma sells some too.

What are you making???

I bought one from Williams Sonoma a while back ($35 for 8 ounces). All I can say is you won't need to add salt to your recipe. :smile:
Can't make (ok, afford) the Brasa dinner, but who will I see November 7th at Third Place Books in Lake Forest Park?

What's going on November 7 at Third Place Books in Lake Forest Park, and what time should I be there?

If you make your own stock, making a demi glace is not difficult. All you need is time, which is probably a more valuable resource. :smile:

Make a brown veal stock. Veal bones are about $1.80 a pound--all you need is about 4 pounds and the usual stock ingredients. You'll end up with about 1/2 gallon of stock.

Take half of the stock and save it in the fridge. Take the remaining half and make a Sauce Espagnole. This is basically sauteing 8 ounces mirepoix in some butter, adding a bouquet garni, 2 ounces tomato paste, adding the stock that is not in the fridge and stiring in about 4 - 6 tbsp of brown roux. Strain the sauce (a chinois or tamis works best; if you don't have either, strain it through cheesecloth in a strainer). If you Google "Sauce Espagnole recipe" you'll get more accurate measurements.

Return the Sauce Espagnole to a clean pot and add the half stock you saved in the refrigerator. Slowly reduce this down to about 25 percent of what you started with (down to 2 cups) and voilà, Demi Glace! It only takes about 12 hours. :raz:

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

Make a brown veal stock. Veal bones are about $1.80 a pound--all you need is about 4 pounds and the usual stock ingredients. You'll end up with about 1/2 gallon of stock.

Where do you get veal bones? I don't think I've ever seen a pile of veal bones sitting at any meat counter I've been to. Do you have to make a special request?

Where do you get veal bones?  I don't think I've ever seen a pile of veal bones sitting at any meat counter I've been to.  Do you have to make a special request?

Usually it's in a butcher's backroom cooler. Larry's carry's them as does Don's in the Market. I've never had a problem walking up unannounced and asking for 4 or 5 pounds. The only time I had to make a special request was at Golden Steer in Redmond when I ordered 60 pounds (to be divided up between 3 people).

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

At Whole Paycheck there is a freezer next to the meat dept. and they have packaged veal and beef bones for soup and stock. Also turkey necks.

They also sell them in the freezer at Central Market (across from the sausage end of the meat counter, over toward the asian section) along with chicken, turkey, and pork bones, and all kinds of other offal stuff. :biggrin:

Anita Crotty travel writer & mexican-food addictwww.marriedwithdinner.com

Thanks for the Suggestions! :biggrin:

Tony Bourdain will be doing a reading and a signing at 3rd Place Books in Lk Forest Park on the 7th, sorry about the lack of clarity there!

Jason

Made it last night, finished simmering and skimming at about 1 am (Don't ask... :sad: )

Will report when we eat later....

Where do you get veal bones?  I don't think I've ever seen a pile of veal bones sitting at any meat counter I've been to.  Do you have to make a special request?

I've seen them at Central Market as well, packed up in the meat section. You can also call ahead to their butcher counter to see if they have any or to reserve some. makes me miss having a car.

Bacon starts its life inside a piglet-shaped cocoon, in which it receives all the nutrients it needs to grow healthy and tasty.

-baconwhores.com

Bacon, the Food of Joy....

-Sarah Vowell

They also sell them in the freezer at Central Market (across from the sausage end of the meat counter, over toward the asian section) along with chicken, turkey, and pork bones, and all kinds of other offal stuff.  :biggrin:

does anyone have a source for duck bones? I need to make another round of duck stock & my old source dried up...

Mmm duck stock!

Eden

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

There used to be a demi-glace or two available from D'Artangnan. I thought they were pretty good.

The Williams Sonoma stuff is not real demiglace, and I don't think it will work in a recipe that calls for it. It's more or less like bouillion. Demiglace Gold is similar but very weak, I find.

Picked up demi glace at Pasta Works here in Portland. Made Bourdain's bourginone with a bottle of O'Reilly's pinot noir and it turned out wonderful. It's even better for lunch the next day. (slurp) :cool:

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."