• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Indochine

SobaAddict70

"It's a pu pu platter that's lost its way," said my pithy friend.
During my recent visits to Indochine, the sauces tended to be too sweet. The meat and fish tended to be mistreated. I had overcooked duck, overdressed beef, rock-hard shrimp.

Isn't it interesting, that for a restaurant that merits a "Satisfactory", that the total amount of food description merits to almost less than a handful (and a meager handful, at that)?

Indochine (Frank Bruni)

Soba

Isn't it interesting, that for a restaurant that merits a "Satisfactory", that the total amount of food description merits to almost less than a handful (and a meager handful, at that)?

That has been my thoughts on Bruni since day one. This review has topped the list so far on not talking about food. I don't even know that this qualifies as a review.

Rodney

Weird what he's nostalgic for, too:

If I closed my eyes and flexed my imagination, I could almost smell the cigarette smoke and hear the sniffling of people who had gone to the bathroom to powder their noses.

Am I jumping to conclusions to think the end of that sentence is a cocaine reference?

Michael aka "Pan"

Grrrr, reading the review online, one has to click to the second page before one finds any review of the food! Aaaaaarrrrrr!

Amy

p.s. Oops, posted under my sister's profile!

Edited by Pumpkin Lover (log)

Weird what he's nostalgic for, too:

Am I jumping to conclusions to think the end of that sentence is a cocaine reference?

No, sir, you are *not* jumping to conclusions......(not that I'd actually know what it all means either.... :blink::wink: )

By the way, I too think that the review sucks.

Forget the house, forget the children. I want custody of the red and access to the port once a month.

KEVIN CHILDS.

Doesn't play well with others.

It's an interesting and moderately entertaining take on a cultural phenomenon that's restaurant related but I agree that it doesn't consitute a restaurant review.

I'd agree with that. I thought it was an entertaining enough look at what happens to a trendy restaurant long after it ceases to be trendy. But hardly a restaurant review.

The review should have appeared in the Sunday Styles section. No one EVER went to Indochine for the food; you went there to be insulted by the gorgeous waitstaff and to see Calvin Klein having dinner with Dolly Parton.

I found this "review" to be incredibly self-indulgent. Such that I couldn't even finish it.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

The review should have appeared in the Sunday Styles section.  No one EVER went to Indochine for the food;  you went there to be insulted by the gorgeous waitstaff and to see Calvin Klein having dinner with Dolly Parton.

I'd have to disagree. When I went there with my brother, mother, et al. some 15 years ago, we went for the food and ambiance and I don't recall being insulted there. We wouldn't have stood for that.

Of course, we could be the exceptions that "prove the rule."

Michael aka "Pan"

I was rather surprised Frank Bruni put his name on the review, since it seems his "friend" was the one who actually wrote it. Most the of the "insightful" comments on food/ambience were his friend's snarky little quotes.