• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Toronto Dim Sum and Other Chinese Cuisine

itch22

Now all-clear!

Establishment Name Address Type

DUMPLING HOUSE RESTAURANT 328 SPADINA AVE Restaurant

Minimum inspections per year: 3

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Most Recent Inspection Finding

Date Inspected: Feb 19, 2008

This establishment was inspected by Toronto Public Health in accordance with the Ontario Food Premises Regulation, and passed the inspection.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Inspection History

Date Inspected: Feb 15, 2008

Inspection

Finding Infraction

Category Infraction

Details Severity Action Outcome

Date Outcome Amount

Fined

Closed FAILURE TO PROTECT FOOD FROM CONTAMINATION Operator fail to ensure food is not contaminated/adulterated C Notice to Comply

Operator fail to use proper utensils to ensure food safety S Notice to Comply

Operator fail to use proper procedure(s) to ensure food safety S Notice to Comply

FAILURE TO ENSURE / PROVIDE FOR PROPER EMPLOYEE HYGIENE / HANDWASHING Operator fail to provide hand washing supplies S Notice to Comply

IMPROPER MAINTENANCE / SANITATION OF FOOD CONTACT SURFACES / UTENSILS /EQUIPMENT Operator fail to properly wash multi-use utensils S Notice to Comply

Operator fail to properly wash large utensils S Notice to Comply

IMPROPER MAINTENANCE / SANITATION OF NON-FOOD CONTACT SURFACES / EQUIPMENT Operator fail to properly maintain rooms M Notice to Comply

Operator fail to properly wash surfaces in rooms M Notice to Comply

Operator fail to properly maintain equipment(NON-FOOD) M Notice to Comply

Operator fail to properly wash equipment M Notice to Comply

IMPROPER MAINTENANCE / SANITATION OF WASHROOMS Operator fail to provide washroom supplies S Notice to Comply

INADEQUATE PEST CONTROL Operator fail to provide adequate pest control S Notice to Comply

CONDITION(S) FOR CLOSURE Operator fail to prevent gross unsanitary conditions C Summons and Health Hazard Order Pending

Date Inspected: Nov 22, 2007

This establishment was inspected by Toronto Public Health in accordance with the Ontario Food Premises Regulation, and passed the inspection.

Date Inspected: Aug 23, 2007

Date Inspected: Feb 7, 2007

Date Inspected: Sept 26, 2006

Date Inspected: May 11, 2006

http://app.toronto.ca/food2/DineSafeMain?u...ENT_ID=10212768

ah, so that's the story! Thanks estufarian.

I think we will be renting a car and driving.

I'd avoid downtown Chinese altogether then (except Lai Wah Heen) and just go to Richmond Hill.

• 1 month later...

I'm not sure why many people feel the need to avoid downtown Chinatown. There are some pretty solid restaurants there. Bright Pearl, while not necessarily innovative, offers standard, classical dim sum items.

If you're looking to drive out to Richmond Hill, Ambassador Chinese Cuisine on 280 West Beaver Creek Road is both traditional and good, in terms of its classical dim sum offerings. This is in the suburbs of Toronto, so it is set up for family-style dining.

You will also find the old fashioned sweet dessert that is made of round balls of glutinous rice rolled in sugar and chopped peanuts. It's one of those items that was available forty or fifty years ago, that doesn't show up in any other dim sum establishment I have frequented.

Ambassador is located within a cluster of Chinese businesses; but then again, Richmond Hill is pretty much ALL chinese.

Edited by cwyc (log)

Thanks for the suggestion cwyc.

It's not an avoidance of downtown that prompted my question, I am in Richmond Hill on business from Saskatchewan (no good dim sum to be had in the whole province in at least 8 years) and am wanting to enjoy my all time favorite food while I have the chance.

It would be the ultimate disappointment to go for dim sum and have my taste buds encounter only mediocrity. I am not here for long enough to do any trial and error here.

The idea of Lai Wah Heen is appealing however I am finding myself shying away. I am sure this would be an absolutely fabulous meal and the price doesn't scare me, it's just that after not eating any dim sum worth eating in so very long has me craving some plain old basics like chinese tea, pork shaomai, sticky rice, spring rolls, and spare ribs doen well.

After this craving is satisfied, I think I may go ahead and check out Lai Wah Heen to expand my horizons. The chef sounds very skilled and the menu looks amazing!

Thanks so much for the recommendation. I went to the Ambassador last night for dinner and very much enjoyed the meal, service and atmosphere. I unfortunately couldn't make it for lunch (dim sum) but am hoping to return there tomorrow.

Does anyone have suggestions for dim sum in Windsor (my next location)?