• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Toronto Dim Sum and Other Chinese Cuisine

itch22

• 4 months later...
I am looking for the best Chinese in Toronto.  Perhaps one  notch below Susur or Lee?

Susur and Lee are not Chinese and more fusion. That said, downtown, I think that Lai Wah Heen will fit the bill for you. Most of the other very good chinese places that I can advise on are up north in Markham.

officially left egullet....

I am looking for the best Chinese in Toronto.  Perhaps one  notch below Susur or Lee?

Susur and Lee are not Chinese and more fusion. That said, downtown, I think that Lai Wah Heen will fit the bill for you. Most of the other very good chinese places that I can advise on are up north in Markham.

Lai Wah Heen looks great. The menu is listed in five courses/symphonic movements. Any idea on an average price per person? I am guessing $60-$80?

Lai Wah Heen looks great. The menu is listed in five courses/symphonic movements. Any idea on an average price per person? I am guessing $60-$80?

I think that is about right unless you get into the abaloni, king crab or shark fin and other crab dishes.

Lai Wah Heen looks great.  The menu is listed in five courses/symphonic movements. Any idea on an average price per person? I am guessing $60-$80?

I'd allow more than that - it's doable but you'd really have to watch the pennies. With some wine it will easily be over $100 per person.

And Lai Wah Heen really is the best - although the couple of times I've tried to do it "cheap" (e.g seasonlicious) I've been disappointed. To really appreciate it you neeed to go outside 'regular' Chinese cuisine.

...With some wine it will easily be over $100 per person.....

Wine? Don't you just bring your own? I have not checked with LHW but I know many other places such as this have had informal BYO for many many years.

I echo the point. Since LHW is really some of the best you should go all out.

mkjr, Toronto is very backwards when it comes to BYO. The government has recently legislated it as legal, but few restaurants here are on board and, when they are, they often charge exorbitant corkage fees.

Edited by FlavoursGal (log)

mkjr, Toronto is very backwards when it comes to BYO. The government has recently legislated it as legal, but few restaurants here are on board and, when they are, they often charge exorbitant corkage fees.

Thanks. I am a huge BYOW supporter and agree that the corkage fees in this city are STUPID and not wine friendly. I posted a while back to start a thread but it appears as though many on this board were not as enthusiastic as I was.

I was getting at the fact that for many years I know of many Chinese restaurants up in Markham that had a very informal BYOW - under the table type of operation. I suspect LHW was not part of the informal crowd.

I am now at the point that if it ain't BYOW, I ain't going.....have too much wine around the house to buy marginal wine at best on many places lists at 300-400% markups (sorry to rant but that is just my 2 cents and I do vote with my pocket book).

According to the AGCO website there are over 1050 BYOW establishments in Ontario - but they don't seem to have a list (at least a published one).

And certainly I'm aware of places that serve "tea" - Chinese restaurants that serve liquor in teapots.

But assuming we restrict ourselves to legal offerings, then any place that has a liquor licence only has to apply for the BYOW endorsement - there's no fee. Yet relatively few places have bothered. Indeed we have only ourselves to blame if we go to the places that don't offer this.

Hence my reluctance to go to Lai Wah Heen (except for lunch), while I'll gladly pay the $40 at Splendido or Susur, and patronize Czehoski, Fat Cat and Mimosa.

Regrettably, some of the no-, or low- corkage places serve inedible food, so my choices are limited.

While I would obviously prefer lower corkage fees, do you really think $20-40 (typically) is unreasonable? Most restaurants charge a minimum double retail - up to 5 times at Lai Toh Heen and Cava (I'm sure there are similar examples, but those are two I've experienced personally), so it's not difficult to reach a $40 built-in markup.

Hey all...Havent been around much, but to get back on topic... ;)

I would also say LWH to be great - but dont go to their Mt Pleasant location, go downtown.

As well, for an awesome dinner, I would suggest Lee Garden on Spadina - get there early as the wait can be long at times...dont forget to order the clams in black bean sauce, steamed oysters, and salt fried calamari!

Hope everyones doin well...hardly any time for eG anymore :( between work and the garden... and more work...hopefully I can make time...

PS - Off topic - I found a new addition to my top 5 hot n sour soups (LWH is still #1 though!) - although i ask for it a bit spicier - Asian Monsoon on Eglington west of bathurst...mmmm awesome.

Cheers

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi - Havent been here in forever :)

Thought I would chime in here and add we have been going to Lee Garden a lot lately, and it just doesnt dissapoint. Their steamed oysters are amazing, their clams in black bean sauce are wicked, as is pretty much everything else. Sure fire bet.

• 6 months later...

Wondering if there are any updates on good places to get Dim Sum in Toronto? There hasn't been input on this subject for months and months.

I'd like to head to the AGO (art gallery) then stop somewhere in the 'hood for mid-priced dim sum afterwards. Thx.

Hi All,

I'm visiting TO (and surroundings) in a May-ish/June-ish. I would like current recommendations on: Cantonese/HK/Dim Sum, and Regional Chinese (esp Northern/Shanghai/Sichuan/Taiwan) - both Hole in the Wall and High-end recs are most welcome.

Thanks in advance.

edit: Here is what I have gathered from scrolling back on this thread to Dec 2006

Dumpling House on Spadina

Goldstone

Lai Wah Heen

Lai Toh Heen (which I've been to)

Kim Bakery

Lee Garden

(Are these all Canto/HK? Dumpling House looks Northern.)

Edited by fmed (log)

fmed

de gustibus non est disputandum

Kim Moon Bakery on the north side of Dundas 1.5 Streets east of Spadina is my favorite dim sum.

I will second Kim Moon. I used to go to the Melewa, which I don't believe is there anymore, but Kim Moon was my second choice for buns in the immediate vicinity. There is also the place on Baldwin on the north side that serves great tofu buns.

Hi All,

I'm visiting TO (and surroundings) in a May-ish/June-ish. I would like current recommendations on: Cantonese/HK/Dim Sum, and Regional Chinese (esp Northern/Shanghai/Sichuan/Taiwan) - both Hole in the Wall and High-end recs are most welcome.

Thanks in advance.

edit: Here is what I have gathered from scrolling back on this thread to Dec 2006

Goldstone

Lai Wah Heen

Lai Toh Heen (which I've been to)

Kim Bakery

Lee Garden

(Are these all Canto/HK? Dumpling House looks Northern.)

I also like Swatow for Fukien style fare on Spadina. To be honest, lately I have been really enjoying Hakka-style cuisine in Scarborough-East York. The noodle place on the second floor of the pacific mall is very, very good and they make their noodles on the premise (you can hear them banging the dough).

um.

http://www.blogto.com/eat_drink/2008/02/ra...dumpling_house/

I didn't follow this story so I don't know what the conclusion was. Word of mouth is that they were shut down and they reopened.

I don't really care for Gold Stone and Lee Garden. Nothing special going on there.

fmed, will you be driving or taking the TTC around? That will affect recs.

>> fmed, will you be driving or taking the TTC around? That will affect recs.

I think we will be renting a car and driving.

fmed

de gustibus non est disputandum