• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Toronto Dim Sum and Other Chinese Cuisine

itch22

Thanks for that, Kev. I might have to try it. I like the idea of smaller portions, I can choose more things. Many dim sum places I've been to are very heavy on shellfish items, my SO is allergic so it limits his choice.

I like Cha Liu on Yonge north of Eglinton for dim sum.

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

Kev...is that YOUR knife in your avatar..if not...TSK TSK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is indeed! Entirely unlike yours - or do I need to point that out again. Oh, manager!!!!

Yes, and it's a good knife too. And this post is about food - I use the knife to cut it - so no deletes, svp.

Cute, boys. This is the chinese food in Toronto thread, hmm, not the avatar thread? Those are not chinese cleavers. Play nice.....please.

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

Are there any places in town that are truly regional Chinese? Most of the places in the downtown Chinatowns at least, if they refer to region at all, mostly refer to Cantonese and/or Szechwan. A few will have some Hunan dishes (Hunan Palace maybe?). Swatow, I believe, has some connections to Fukkien province. There's apparently a Uighur (sp?) place out in Etobicoke.

So. Where are the places that are doing cooking predominantly (if not wholly) true to a specific regional Chinese cuisine? Any particular faves (restos, dishes).

Thanks,

Geoff Ruby

PS - One of my favourite places to get takeout from is the Gandhi restaurant on Queen. While the restaurant is not Chinese, the owner chef's name is Avatar.

Are there any places in town that are truly regional Chinese?

Chiu Chow Kwoon, Leslie and Finch. And probably many other places that have "chiu chow" in the name :)

I don't know much about that kind of food, but they do have their own style of congee (which is more like soup with rice than what most people think of when they hear "congee"). And an oyster "omelette" dish...actually Swatow has an "omelette" of oyster and bittermelon that's really, really f!ing good, but bitter melon is (even for most Chinese) an acquired taste.

bitter melon's a clichéd kids-hate-it food, the way that people mock Brussels sprouts...

• 1 month later...

Being from Cambridge, I don't get out to Markham or Richmond Hill for dim sum, but good food is available west of Yonge, believe it or not.

Sun Sun (formerly Good Luck, formerly China Palace (?)) on Dundas just west of Dixie (Mississauga) is one option. We were there on Sunday and the food was good, the carts rolled past often, and the price was okay.

We tend towards Emerald Palace on Hurontario and Eglinton (Mississauga again) though. The prices seem reasonable, and the food is consistently good. But there are times when it seems you see the same cart five times in a row. Luckily my father-in-law doesn't mind chasing down the servers we want.

Further afield, Hamilton now has four dim sum restaurants in its downtown. The best, I think, is Harvest Moon on James just south of Wilson. You have to order off the card and the food is sometimes extremely slow, but it's all tasty and the service is at least pleasant.

Also in Hamilton is Crystal Palace, on Cannon near Park. Good food, and the carts start coming around at noon on weekends, but the service is indifferent at best and incompetent at worst. We started going to Harvest Moon in protest after they refused to bring any more items from our card (which we handed in before 11:30) after noon struck. The carts sometimes come around very infrequently sometimes.

Cameron is an excellent option in Kitchener (at Charles and Cameron streets). The price sometimes seems ridiculous (it's much cheaper in Mississauga or Chinatown) but the food is fresh and well-prepared, and it comes out very efficiently. I miss some of the standards sometimes -- the deep fried squid is never the tentacles but small pieces of the tubes (well cooked but just not right!), and the dish comes with plum sauce! Sacrilege!

Today's Toronto Star had a Dim Summary (hah!) by Amy Pataki. Her top five picks were:

- Lai Wah Heen (easy when the paper's paying your way, I guess)

- Pearl Harbourfront (Queen's Quay)

- Dragon Dynasty (Brimley Road)

- Bright Pearl (running counter to all the opinions here I think)

- Royal Teahouse (Applecreek Boulevard in Markham)

She also has some not-recommended picks:

- City Inn (Steeles Ave, in Market Village)

- Yiu Wah (Dundas St, in Chinatown)

- Golden Regency (Pacific Mall)

The article is here if you are able to open it.

Today's Toronto Star had a Dim Summary (hah!) by Amy Pataki. Her top five picks were:

- Lai Wah Heen (easy when the paper's paying your way, I guess)

- Pearl Harbourfront (Queen's Quay)

- Dragon Dynasty (Brimley Road)

- Bright Pearl (running counter to all the opinions here I think)

- Royal Teahouse (Applecreek Boulevard in Markham)

She also has some not-recommended picks:

- City Inn (Steeles Ave, in Market Village)

- Yiu Wah (Dundas St, in Chinatown)

- Golden Regency (Pacific Mall)

The article is here if you are able to open it.

Saw this too. Hmm.... restaurant make over is working at the place on Front and Jarvis. Perhaps this is a new one to look out for....will have to remember the name...it is next to Jason George.

Edited by mkjr (log)

officially left egullet....

• 3 months later...

IMO (and only limited to the downtown area), my preference for dim sum is as follows:

high end (@ $4-8/dish):

Lai Wah Heen

- not to be missed, the baked mini puff pastry turnover with cured ham, shrimp and pork :wub:

mid ranged (@$2.50-5/dish):

Golden Leaf Chinese Cuisine &/OR

King's Garden Chinese Cuisine

affordable pricing (@$2-3/dish):

Rol San

Please, for the sake of your stomach (unless you want to be amused by push carts), don't bother with Bright Pearl. I appologise to all others who think otherwise, but it's terrible.

If you were to venture out for the BEST dim sum, IMO, I would say in Hong Kong: Yat Tung Heen or closer, Vancouver: Kirin (on Cambie). :wub:

OK, I'm not advocating living in Richmond Hill here, guys. Just driving there for decent dim sum; I think it's well worth the time/gas for the vast vast difference in quality you'll get. I haven't enjoyed any dim sum I've had downtown in the last 5+ years. The only exception would be Lai Wah Heen, and that's a whole other price range and culinary style.

I'll try Golden Leaf and King's Garden (I assume these are Spadina/Dundas?) but I think I'm so disappointed because I know how good it was downtown 15 years ago (I think it was KevV who commented same).

edited to add that I'm surprised about Rol San. I went there once for dinner and it was one of those fluorescent sweet-and-sour sauce places.

Edited by Endy' (log)

I agree with the previous poster. Richmond Hill and Markham have turned into the place for authentic Chinese these days. So much of the western Chinatown is Vietnamese now that it hardly can be called Chinatown anymore. I used to love Swatow for late nights and some other places, but many of them have closed. I go down there for Vietnamese now. Apparently Vancouver is similar with many Burnaby really taking off. Korean food is shifting as well, moving up to the Yonge corridor between Finch and Sheppard.

Sure, there are good downtown places (lunch at Lai wah heen for my father, myself and my sister was over $120), but otherwise I prefer the Ambassador and north end of the city. I used to eat at Kwungtung Dim Sum and Kowloon Dim Sum.

For those who are TTC bound or who refuse to leave the confines of downtown, Toronto, you really are missing out.

A dim sum restaurant opened not too far from my house, Yonge and Finch, called "Not Just Dim Sum". Have tried it a few times. I think it is overpriced, but not bad on quality. I really like their fried turnip cake.

Lai Toh Heen on Mt. Pleasant hasn't gotten a great reception, anyone been there lately?

Mark

Here's my notes on the Globe list:

Congee Queen - 895 Lawrence Ave East

I've eaten here a few times, better than Congee Wong so far, but we guess that it's the same company that owns both. They have the same advertisements in each others' restos. Congee Queen had better service when it was busy, but the food was really quite stellar. We keep meaning to go back, but the hours are far better at Congee Wong, making the Finch and Leslie location busy straight to midnight even on weeknights.

Ate there maybe 8 months ago now.

Ding Tai Fung - 3235 Highway 7 East, Markham

Where we would go before Asian Legend opened up at Finch and Leslie, but we still make the trek out. I don't know which I really prefer, but I'd go with AL.

Ate at AL maybe three weeks ago, and DTF six weeks ago.

Jim Chai Kee - 270 West Beaver Creek Road, Richmond Hill

Note, this place serves only one thing really - wonton. There are some greens, but it's just to supplement your won ton meal. Used to be really REALLY good, we no longer go to the w. beaver creek one. Been about 3 or 4 years since I last ate at this location. Instead, there's one out East we go to. Been about a year since I last went.

Lai Wah Heen - 108 Chestnut St.

Really quite the best chinese resto to impress with IMO. Great decor, downtown location, and it's a great mix of chinese and canadian. Very unique menu. Their sister resto Lai Toh Heen, isn't as great. My review here.

Ate at LWH maybe a year ago, LTH three months ago.

Sam Woo Seafood - 325 Bamburg Circle

Haven't eaten here in a couple years, but this place has always been good. There are a few, (two for sure - one in Mississauga), locations around too. All pretty consistent so far that I've found.

I've probably eaten at the others, but I don't recognize their names.

Someone mentioned Dynasty, but it's closed now and I thought it was always terrible when I went. For the money, go to Lai Wah Heen.

Ambassador is really excellent as well, if expensive. Ate there maybe six months ago, if. Also ate their catering at a wedding no more than a month ago.

Pearl Court, in Chinatown East used to be quite decent as well, but I haven't eaten here in years and years now.

In Pacific Mall, there's the one upstairs we eat at. Nothing overly impressive, but we keep eating there over the years. Ate there no more than 6 months ago.

Next door in Market Village, there's this one place I've always thought particularly good, but darned if I can recall the name of it. it's right by the main food court area. Haven't eaten here in a few years though, but I think it's owned by the Pac Mall resto people too.

Librarian_chef > I've seen that "Not just dim sum" place! (I live around there), but its hilarious name just didn't make me want to venture in. I'm so happy about all the k-town foods moving more north though. It was really a trek to hit up bloor and christie.

There are quite a few more I'd reccommend, but I end up getting very vague about where they are and have no idea what they're called. I think it was a few years before I got down Ding Tai Fung's name!

I uh.. eat at a lot of chinese places around.

Edited by jenc (log)

foodpr0n.com 11/01/17: A map of macarons in Toronto // For free or for a fee - bring your bottle! corkagetoronto.com

jenc -- does Congee Queen feature the same menu as Congee Wong? I've seen the "now open" ads for it as the Finch/Leslie is one of my regular lunch spots, but never made the trek. Come to think of it, the Lawrence address doesn't sound familiar to me...I thought the new one was at Steeles/Bayview or something...maybe there's more than one Congee Queen (yes, it's the same company that owns both).

and is the other Jim Chai Kee the one on Sheppard near Brimley, or is there another out east I don't know about? I tried that one once or twice, but I really didn't like it compared to the Richmond Hill location.

As I recall, it was the same menu. Maybe minor alterations, but the fried squid was better, and especially, the XO fried turnip was really good. The way I remember it used to be at Congee Wong's a few years ago. I just find the XO turnip dish really mushy these days, and not as savoury and tasty.

Really, everything tasted better vs Congee Wong's. I went twice, once when it was busy, (better service!), and once when it was dead slow, (15 minutes to get the bill).

The Congee Queen I went to is in the plaza that was across from Don Mills Centre. It's where the Pizza Hut used to be long ago.

I think that Jim Chai Kee is the one on Sheppard. I should try both again soon. It's been a long while since I ate at either.

Edited by jenc (log)

foodpr0n.com 11/01/17: A map of macarons in Toronto // For free or for a fee - bring your bottle! corkagetoronto.com

I haven't read the entire thread so not sure if this has already been mentioned, but I would highly recommend Casa Imperial for one of the best Dim Sum (and overall Cantonese food for that matter) places in town today.

It recently opened at 4125 Steeles Ave East in Scarborough. The building (The Hood-Gough House) is listed by the City of Toronto as a heritage property and it housed the now defunct steakhouse Devonsleigh Place, so the decor is Victorian with its huge paintings and chandeliers, which is quite unique (if not strange) for a Chinese restaurant.

Consistent with the Victorian ambiance, prices are slightly higher than your typical Chinese restaurant, but still quite a bit lower than the Westernized Lai Wah Heen or it's sister Lai Toh Heen. Unlike these other 2 high end restaurants, Casa Imperial caters mostly to Chinese patrons so the cuisine is authentic.

Edited by SYoung (log)

Congee Queen - 895 Lawrence Ave East

tried it last night. Food seemed fresher than Congee Wong (the one at Leslie/Finch), the congee base wasn't the end-of-the-day, reduced down mushy slop but was almost...bland (which is weird to me for restaurant congee). It's OK though because the fish pieces were actually pretty tasty. They had an "exotic drinks" (various fruit "milkshakes" including avocado, some ices, etc.) menu that I've never seen at Congee Wong.

I also tried to go to the new Congee Queen (Steeles/404) last week but they're not open yet. Last night's location said middle of Oct for the new one.

Only photo I have from either of those places right now is the fried chili turnip cake from Congee Queen. Other stapes we order is the garlic fried baby bok choi, and the salt n' pepper fried squid. We rotate noodles and rice dishes as we fancy.

Asian Legend I've been to less, but the xiu long bao and uh.. fatty pork? are always yummy.

Hmn. this is hard without the menu in front of me. Also note that I can't read chinese. Makes it harder to order sometimes!

Edited by jenc (log)

of the style of food that Asian Legend serves, xiao long bao / siu long bao is probably the most standard. They're probably called something like steamed pork dumplings on the menu. I think there was a picture in another thread about them but they're sealed in this "swirling" manner, and served with vinegar and julienned ginger, and they're full of really really hot soup (careful).

other stuff there that you won't find elsewhere: there's some kind of "beef in onion pancake" that's not bad. Also a "glutinous rice roll" (it's not a normal rice noodle roll) that has a dough fritter inside.

basically the sort of cusine they do is best known for various dumplings and buns. Trying the potsticker dumplings would be a good choice too.

I'm guessing at all the English names here, so hopefully you can find the items on the menu...

• 3 weeks later...

Living in Toronto we are blessed with delicious Chinese food everywhere!

I lived in NYC for 3-4 years, and trust me, you can't get a decent chinese meal anywhere!

The few dim sum places that do stand out for me are:

Lai Wah Heen - Again like everyone says, good if you got the cash and want something a bit different (fine dining dim sum?!). However for those of you who have been to Hong Kong and eaten at Victoria Harbour knows that theres no way Lai Wah Heen can even compare!

Pearl - It is expensive for what you are eating, but its at Queens Quay and has a nice view of the lake, so expect to pay a lil more. Great quality dim sum though.

Sam Woo - If someone where to ask me what the 'best' dim sum place in Toronto is, I would say here. Its not too expensive, its not too noisey and hectic as other places. It's just great dim sum. Had 1 or 2 service issues in the past, but there's no way that would stop me from coming to this place. The dim sum is too good.