• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mushrooms

"T"

My inlaws have been picking chantreles and porcini in large bagfulls lately on Cyp***s Mt and I just came back from Bo***n B*r with my father with about 300 No. 1 grade pine mushrooms.

Much better than the last few years. I guess it's a reward for hiking up one of the steepest hills I think I've encountered while in search of mushrooms.

Cheers to my father who at 70 plus years old still managed to climb up, out pick me then climb down.

slowfood/slowwine

The mushrooms are so prolific this year people are actually giving them away!!! I don't ever remember being given Pine mushrooms before and its been a real treat. Had some more tonight for dinner.

mmmm....... mushrooms are mmmmmm marvelous.

s

Hey , if anyone is in the unfortunate postion of having to give away mushrooms , you could give them in my direction.

Rest assured they would be well treated, cared for and given a good home.

- wiped , quickly sliced and made into a sauce of some kind - but only for a well

deserving steak !

Edited by nwyles (log)

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

it's part of a seven year cycle....this is the seventh year and I can't believe the amount available...but be careful...I'll post a picture of a two hour hunt later.

DH

gallery_5076_224_1097646739.jpg

top right are "black pines" - edible but not great...the rest are porcini's

gallery_5076_224_1097646792.jpg

Edited by d.hawksworth (log)

Our family has been going to the same spots for the last 40 years and my father feels this is the best year in his memory.

NWYLES: Sorry I didn't read your post earlier. I gave away about 100 mushrooms tonight. I only have a few left for myself and my inlaws. If I go again this season I'll drop some off at the restaurant.

Had dinner there for the Liberty Wine Merchants after Christmas Dinner in January. Who knows, we may be there again in a few months again.

Cheers, T

slowfood/slowwine

A few km's before whistler Pines are out in full force. 2 hrs = 70lb. I've spoken with some Chef's in Whistler and the market value is so low you could afford to put them on pizza. Hmmm that actually sounds extraordinary. Fresh arugula, EVOO - spicy oil, and shavings of broshetta di truffala (sp) - (half cow - half sheep’s milk cheese infused with black truffle) and ultra thin strips of prosciutto absolutely no cooked tomato maybe fresh. Now I only need a wood burning oven. To bad the city won't allow any new ones. Only gas - don't get me wrong I'm all for helping the environment but this adds so many flavors to the cooking process.

Cioffi's has a pecoroino with truffle. It's a bit manufactured though. Not sure if they are real truffles. For those of us who don't pick mushrroms, any suggestions on buying some? Porcini especially. Whole Foods has had a great run on cheap Chanterelles lately. They have other things, bit too expensive though.

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

"don't get me wrong I'm all for helping the environment".

Good for you Dr. Suzuki, I'm all for potatoes and chicken roasted in a wood fired oven.

Is that seriously true, no new wood ovens for environmental reasons? If that's true, I'm going to maintain a small tire fire in my yard, just to undermine their efforts. Screw them, air Nazi's.

And are there pine mushrooms for sale anywhere around town? Those of us that would rather eat tinned sliced buttons from Money's rather than go into the woods need alternatives too. Plus the whole "high likelihood of killing myself" thing dissaudes me from gathering my own, not as much as being forced to go into the bush mind you, but still.

Yes it's true. The city will not let you make, import a wood burning stove in a commercial kitchen unless it is already there. And there are very few remaining in Vancouver. So I think a deal could be struck - remove two fast food restaurants from Downtown for one wood burning oven. No large commercial freezer trucks frequenting these places. Less trash and probably long term health benefits equaling a savings to the province.

And could start to change the mindset of Fast Food Diners.

DH

I bought lunch at Fujiya yesterday. Damn my unobserving eyes.

And who said I hate leaving Richmond? The only thing I hate about leaving Richmond is that if you live here long enough, hills start to freak you out a little. You forget how to use your parking brake, wheels towards or wheels away from curb, stuff like that.

As much as I like your idea don't ruin a good thing by going into politics. I think we have enough politicians. As for wood burning pizza joints I vote yes. I saw a poster yesterday for the Ward system referendum and they used two pizzas to make their point. Looked like Domino's though.

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

I know no one wants to give up there secret spots of where to pick the shrooms, but is i have no idea where or what areas they like.. any suggestions where i could start my mushroom hike??

DANIELLE

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."

-Virginia Woolf

Only the City of Vancouver would be so self absorbed as to debate minutea like the ward system when truly pressing issues face the city like the LACK OF WOOD BURNING OVENS. Idiots.

When we built the HSG , I wanted a solid fuel grill. This required a seperate vent system with lots fire suppression upgrades. An extra $20,000 that I did not have.

I understand that the natural fuel, be it wood, charcoal, mesquite etc, leaves lots of residue in the vent system and creates a fire hazard. You had to have fire suppression inside your ducting etc.

Too bad.

Taste vs. City Hall

City Hall won.

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

There's a wood burning oven pizza place next door to our showroom. Smells really good, especially on these cool fall evenings. Their pizza is pretty good ... David, yours sounds better. Doubt they would you rent space :hmmm:

Picked up some chantrelles and some pine mushrooms at Granville Island on Sunday. Before I tell what I paid (keeping in mind we're talking that Gommora of tourist headonism called Granville Island) what is a fair price to pay for this sort of mushroom? I'd like to know before I waste them on my kids :biggrin:

A.

I am paying about $9.00 per pound.

I hope that is not too much.

Well, at least the mushrooms aren't that heavy. The "Mushroom Guy" on Granville Island was charging $12/lb. I figured it was kinda steep ... but they were there and so was I. POS marketting :wacko:

A.

Hmmmmm.....$12 a pound. We spoke to a buyer as to what he was buying at and he was only willing to pay $1.00 per pound for #1 mushrooms. I think Fujiya sels at a better price.

Hell, I was ready to sell 100 lbs at $5.00. Not a bad wage for 2 hours work.

slowfood/slowwine