• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fresh Smoked Salmon From Alaska

rosebud

An ex-neighbor of mine moved to Alaska a few years ago but, every now and then he comes back to his old stomping grounds in DC to visit. The last time he showed up with a giant styrofoam container of freshly-caught salmon and halibut that his Alaskan fishing buddies supplied him with. I'm talking cleaned, skinned, proportioned pieces sealed in plastic and ready to rumble. I was able to snag some halibut and went to Julia's Mastering the Art of French Cooking (vol. 1) for the proper way to prepare it. It was as lovely a fish as could be found in the best restaurants.

Anyway, my friend sent some freshly caught and smoked salmon down here and directed the recipient to give me some. I have two packages of smoked salmon (specifically marked "Not for Sale").

Now, what do I do with it? Our household consists of two people. I have about 1 1/2 pounds of this stuff. On the other hand, we will be having a party very soon for somebody who's birthday is tomorrow and has just retired from his government job. (He was a big mucky-muck with the Federal Bureau of Prisons and refused to go to Iraq, after NOBODY took his advice and the result was the scandal at Abu Graib prison.)

I would like suggestions for either scenario: either my DH and I eat it all ourselves, or we do something wonderful with it for about 15 people.

Your best recipes will be more than appreciated.

I get lovely smoked salmon from friends in Washington State and, if they don't come through, I order it from Vis Seafood in Bellingham. Because of the PNW origin, I will assume that your salmon is a similar style. The style that these guys do involves a bath in a seasoned brine, dry to form a pellicle, and then hot smoke. Well, not all that hot. They shoot for a smoker temperature of 170-180F. This makes for a relatively smoky and drier fish.

We tend to keep it simple. I serve the whole thing on a platter with seafood forks for flaking. Then I supply a cream cheese/sour cream mixture, sometimes a relatively mild horseradish sauce, capers, chopped egg, finely minced red onion and water crackers. Then the guests "build their own".

Leftovers have found their way into a lemon cream pasta sauce with capers.

Another favorite is a quesadilla with a good Mexican melting cheese and a generous amount of the salmon.

I have also sprinkled a nice pile of soft and silky scrambled eggs with the flakes for breakfast. The texture contrast is lovely.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Everything fifi said is perfect, took the works away from me. Smoked salmon is good added to a BLT. Mix with the cream cheese in a food processor to make a good bagel schmear. Eat it with your fingers right off the plate out of the fridge at 2AM.

Hal

In case you want to take a bit of it for a little spread:

Smoked Salmon Spread

10 oz smoked salmon

8 oz softened (fat-free/low-fat or regular) cream cheese

1/3 cup sour cream

2-3 tbsp minced fresh chives

1 tbsp dill (dried) /2 tbsp if fresh

2 tbsp fresh lemon juice

1 tsp Worcestershire sauce

1/4-1/2 tsp lemon pepper (to taste)

1/4-1/2 tsp garlic powder (to taste)

Remove skin from salmon and discard, then break up salmon into several pieces. Put all ingredients into food processor. Quick Pulse, several times, on medium setting until throughly creamed, about 30 seconds total. Spoon into serving dish and chill for at least an hour; up to three days before serving.

Good for dipping with crackers, spread on toast triangles, and makes great sandwiches.

*note: the garlic powder gives an easy and creamier result than fresh garlic

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite