• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Last Word

birder53

• 3 months later...

It turns out there is such a thing as a World's End cocktail, but it's not related to the Last Word. It's a riff on the Corpse Reviver No. 2 with blue curaçao, inspired by the movie. Who knew?

I tried a tequila variant of the cocktail recently, Adam Robinson's Last Rites: blanco tequila, lemon juice, yellow chartreuse, maraschino liqueur. It's from a little book, The Cocktail Hour - Tequila (thanks Rafa, my secret Santa!).

It's very good. Switching from green to yellow chartreuse allows the tequila to shine.

12735750575_67508ae8b7_z.jpg

• Like 2

It turns out there is such a thing as a World's End cocktail, but it's not related to the Last Word. It's a riff on the Corpse Reviver No. 2 with blue curaçao, inspired by the movie. Who knew?

I tried a tequila variant of the cocktail recently, Adam Robinson's Last Rites: blanco tequila, lemon juice, yellow chartreuse, maraschino liqueur. It's from a little book, The Cocktail Hour - Tequila (thanks Rafa, my secret Santa!).

It's very good. Switching from green to yellow chartreuse allows the tequila to shine.

Interesting. Might it warrant a trial with lime juice instead of lemon? I would likely also explore the use of a reposado to see if it adds a touch of depth. Between the maraschino and chartreuse it might already have plenty of bite to it.

In any case there seems to be room to play!

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

• 1 month later...

Is this equal proportions?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Huh, I thought I had added that one to KC. I believe it was equal parts.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

Huh, I thought I had added that one to KC. I believe it was equal parts.

I reflected on the Last Rites a while.  Considering the ingedients I have on hand I thought the drink would be too sweet to be enjoyable as it stood with equal proportions.  Here is my solution (pun possibly intended):

1 1/2 oz Patron anejo

3/4 oz yellow Chartreuse VEP

3/4 oz maraschino

3/4 oz lemon juice

One of the more satisfactory beverages I have had.  And it just fit in the coupe!

Not to let that stand in the way, I made another version:

2 oz Patron anejo

1/2 oz yellow Chartreuse VEP

1/2 oz maraschino

1 oz lemon juice

I like this too, but I think I should have held the lemon at 3/4 oz, or possibly switched to lime.  However I realize this is getting into the realm of a different drink.

Yeah, nice...too bad I didn't measure.

OK, for science!  I measured carefully.  No limes were harmed in the making of this drink:

3/4 Patron anejo

3/4 oz yellow Chartreuse VEP

3/4 oz maraschino

3/4 oz lemon juice

This is a dessert drink, and sadly I have not had dinner yet.  Even for a dessert drink this is far too sweet for me.  I would not make this again.  I guess different folks have different tastes.  As for me I can't choke this down.  An old, old drink like Widow's Kiss is so much better.

Shook another shot of tequila.  Fixed it up so I could drink it.  I do love the flavors though.

In all my years I'd not had maraschino nor Chartreuse till recently.  What a waste.  In the forties and fifties our bathroom was chartreuse, and I think that turned me off.

Looking over my notes I realize I have had a few Last Word variants in the past week or so.

I found the Final Answer (Link) when I was looking for more things to do with my Buffalo Trace White Dog. The recipe looked quite large for a rich drink, so I cut it in half.

1.5 Oz (0.75 Oz) White Whiskey (Recipe called for Death's Door, I used my Buffalo Trace)

1 Oz (0.5 Oz) Green Chartreuse

1 Oz (0.5 Oz) Maraschino

1 Oz (0.5 Oz) Lemon Juice

I think there is an inherent sweetness to the white dog that tips the balance a little to far in this one. However, the herbalness of the chartreuse really does star without the gin botanicals present in a Last Word. This one grew on me as it warmed up.

Other variation I had just a couple nights ago was The Last Stand (Link)

0.75 Oz Del Maguey Vida Mezcal (My Vida is now almost empty :( )

0.75 Oz Green Chartreuse

0.75 Oz Maraschino

0.75 Oz Lime Juice

This is one of the last word variants that truly stands shoulder to shoulder with the original. The spicy Mezcal adds a great dimension to the drink. I think Mezcal and Chartreuse is an even better pairing than Tequila and Chartreuse...

Hm turns out MoCo is not cheaper than DC for Patron Añejo, where the going price at the respectable places seems to be $60. Still....

Edited by Hassouni (log)

• 5 months later...

Well, I tried it. I agree, really. Lemon and Suze dominated. Followed by the Luxardo. The garnish, even when backed up with lavender bitters, had a subdued presence. 

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

• 5 months later...

The Last Wynd (Sian Ferguson via Gaz Regan) with Havana Club añejo 3 rum, yellow Chartreuse, maraschino liqueur (Luxardo), lime juice, honey (local sage blossom honey, Mikolich family). I reduced the honey by half and it was still quite sweet. It would be better with less Chartreuse & maraschino.

16652201630_ea8f82f215_z.jpg

The Last Wynd (Sian Ferguson via Gaz Regan) with Havana Club añejo 3 rum, yellow Chartreuse, maraschino liqueur (Luxardo), lime juice, honey (local sage blossom honey, Mikolich family). I reduced the honey by half and it was still quite sweet. It would be better with less Chartreuse & maraschino.

16652201630_ea8f82f215_z.jpg

Thanks!  I doubled the rum (Cana Brava) and omitted the honey altogether.  Just right.

• Like 1