• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

BLT canape

kiliki

Does anyone have a link to or the recipe for Jeffrey Steingarten's Blt canapes? I imagine it would be easy just to invent my own but I would like to read the original. I have looked everywhere and cannot figure out where I originally saw it.

This reminds me of the World's Smallest BLT, served as a pre-seating canape at the Inn at Little Washington. I don't have any of the chef's cookbooks but this is such a classic dish at this restaurant, I'm pretty sure the recipe is in one of them. Those BLTs are composed using 1" square tiny thin crisp pieces of bread as a base.

I make something similar but with the addition of avocado, it is a sort of inside-out B-L-T with avocado.

First I make small dice croutons, so I have about 1 1/2 cups, browned in butter and olive oil, half and half in the oven till nicely browned and crisp.

I cut a pound of bacon into small pieces, less than 1 inch (of course it shrinks).

Fry or otherwise cook it until crisp - drain on paper towels.

I peel and seed very ripe tomatoes and chop into moderately small dice so I have about a cup.

Depending on the size I peel and mash 1 or 2 avocados, mix in 2 tablespoons of lemon or lime juice and half a cup of sour cream into which I have beaten 1 tablespoon of sugar.

Now mix the crisp drained bacon into the avocado.

arrange 20 small fairly crisp inner leaves of leaf lettuce, romaine, Bibb or oak leaf, in a circle with the small end to the center of a plate. If using a square tray, alternate them, wide end to narrow.

In the middle of each leaf place a teaspoon of croutons, a generous teaspoon of the avocado/bacon mixture and top with a teaspoon of tomato.

Season with salt and pepper

The parts can be prepared ahead but the lettuce has to be kept where it will stay crisp until just prior to serving.

These are quick to assemble and people like them as they are light, tasty and crunchy.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I've done these a couple of times and people love them.

I also do an Italian "BLT" --

Croute spread with basil pesto mayo, topped with a very ripe tomato slice, topped with a piece of bacon or prosciutto or capicola.

Especially good on a hot summer day.

You can also hollow out cherry tomatoes and fill with a mix of mayo, finely shredded lettuce and finely chopped bacon.

Laurie

Does anyone have a link to or the recipe for Jeffrey Steingarten's Blt canapes? I imagine it would be easy just to invent my own but I would like to read the original. I have looked everywhere and cannot figure out where I originally saw it.

I owe you one, for asking this question.

many, many thanks.

woodburner

Not too far off-topic, I hope: the other day I ordered a BLT wrap from our local take-out store. When I opened the bag later there was a note saying "we weren't sure whether you wanted lettuce and tomato with that, so we put those into separate containers". Sure enough, there was a tortilla with bacon and mayo, and in separate baggies were shredded lettuce and chopped tomatoes. :laugh:

Ah, life in the North Woods.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

i blanch butter lettuce for one second,,,shock in ice water,,,then dry between towels. put a dab of basil aioli on open lettuce leaf then crispy bacon then oven dried tomatoes and wrap in a tight bundle. pass around and enjoyyyyyy!

I really like the Zuni Cafe New Year's Eve gougeres: Stuff cooled and split gougeres with arugula, bacon, tomato if you have good ones, and some rings of pickled red onion. Dollop of mild mortar-and-pestle aioli, whitened with water and additional oil.

I did the BLT as an cocktail snack for New Years Eve with pate choux, baby tomatoes, micro lettuce and nueskies apple smoked bacon.

I got the inspiration from the Zuni.

Gorganzola, Provolone, Don't even get me started on this microphone.---MCA Beastie Boys