• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rocco Radio:The continuing saga of Rocco DiSpirito

FistFullaRoux

Is he still doing this radio show?

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Dang, I've been so major league on his ass that now I feel like I'm stealin' the last meal from an orphan or something!

I read where he went on a trip to South Africa with Simon Cowell and three other chefs, so perhaps he's still floatin' an ace in his own mind. I just detest the smug superiority-bit when his facts are SO screwed up. Nuff from me. Wake up, buckaroo!!

Is he still doing this radio show?

So it seems. We recently received a postcard promoting the show.

I read where he went on a trip to South Africa with Simon Cowell and three other chefs, so perhaps he's still floatin' an ace in his own mind. I just detest the smug superiority-bit when his facts are SO screwed up. Nuff from me. Wake up, buckaroo!!

I read that piece too. I believe it was in the Nov. issue of Conde Nast Traveler. He went with Colin Cowie, who annoys me to no end, Ming Tsai and Geoffery Zakarian, chef at Town in NYC.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

• 4 weeks later...

latest Rocco distinction - he's in Dec. 2004 GQ's "Men of the Year" issue....except he's in the "men we want to smack" section.

They describe him as "canceled cook," smack for "thinking that reality-TV fame would obscure the fact that his restaurant was nothing more than an overpriced Olive Garden" and believe he deserves another - "What else can you give the increasingly jowly egomanical chef who has it all?"

ouch!! he's in quite a company:

Smarty Jones, loser

Bill O'Reilly, partisan talk-show host, alleged loofah user

Cornelius Horan, defrocked priest, spoiler (disrupted Olympic marathon in Athens)

that's all the names i remeber

Alcohol is a misunderstood vitamin.

P.G. Wodehouse

Such a relief to see that a few of the people condemning Rocco actually took the time to listen to his show and that a few others are even defending the guy.

I'm throwing my chips in with the latter. I listen to the show regularly and I've learned so much from it in the short time that Rocco has been permanent host. I'm sure he has been humbled after his reality tv debacle (he's human, after all- who wouldn't be humbled after so public a fall from grace.) As for those who criticize that he's condescending to viewers, I would respectfully disagree. Before Thanksgiving, he very patiently answered turkey day questions from a ton of viewers and he was on the air live on Thanksgiving Day to tackle calls about Thanksgiving emergencies. With his mom (who within the last month had a heart attack, by the way) by his side.

Here's what I see in Rocco- I see a guy who adores his mom and his Italian heritage, who took a gamble on a sentimental restaurant idea that didn't pay off (tanked, more like it), and who was repeatedly dragged through the mud in the press for his hubristic maneuvering. And he paid the price: he lost not one but two restaurants and he became a culinary joke.

I think the radio show is redeeming. He's incredibly personable and charismatic about food. He's generous and straightforward with his cooking advice. He's funny and he's easy on the ears. I really dig the guy. I like how much he loves food and loves talking to people about it.

How does it go? To err is human, to forgive, divine? I forget. All of us mess up dramatically at some point but not all of us are in the public eye when we do. Yes, he did put himself in the public eye in the first place, but he's still human and he's still a talented cook. I think he deserves a little more credit than he's getting on this thread.

I'm not sure how much credit he currently deserves, although Rocco is a very talented man. I, for one, would love to see him get back up on his feet and use that talent the way I know he can. He can cook with anybody.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

ouch!! he's in quite a company:

Smarty Jones, loser

This comparison is quite insulting to the horse, whom, I might add, was a winner in his own right, at least for a little while. :angry:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

You said it before I could, for that reflects my sentiments as well. The fact that Smarty Jones did not win the last third of the Triple Crown in no way diminishes him to me. He is still a winner, and his accomplishments far outshine his 'loser' status, as such. This whole modern culture is so perfection oriented nowadays, that looking back over previous achievers of mighty feats, I wonder how they'd fare under the modern microscope.

As I indicated upthread, I almost feel as if any negative view of Rocco is like goin' out and kickin' babies. Uncalled for any longer--my disillusionment has been fulfilled---and needlessly cruel. We gave him the rope, and he fashioned quite a beautiful little noose. On his own.

I'm not sure how much credit he currently deserves, although Rocco is a very talented man. I, for one, would love to see him get back up on his feet and use that talent the way I know he can. He can cook with anybody.

Doc, I think that is the crux of the issue. Rocco is an unbelievably talented cook -- WHEN HE GETS BEHIND A STOVE. What I am hoping is that he realizes is his talents are in cooking, and not being a pretty face in TV and magazines or a voice on the Radio, and that he gets behind a stove again, soon. He's still pretty young for a celebrity chef, and conceivably has many years ahead of him as a restaurant chef if he decides to pull himself up by the bootstraps and go back to his roots, perhaps working at someone else's restaurant again, or starting a small place where conceivably he can run the kitchen, cooking the eclectic food that he does so well and not Queens corner pizza parlor red sauce crap -- and get someone else -- preferably not his ailing mother and someone with experience in this area -- to do FOH.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Such a relief to see that a few of the people condemning Rocco actually took the time to listen to his show and that a few others are even defending the guy.

I'm throwing my chips in with the latter. I listen to the show regularly and I've learned so much from it in the short time that Rocco has been permanent host.

astrayacorazon, if you think Rocco's improved since he started on the show, i may listen to the show again. i listened regularly in the beginning but got really bored and later annoyed with the show. he didn't listen to the callers, cut them off to say something "brilliant," didn't answer their questions or when he tried to Mamma would have to step in to say how to fix a specific cooking problem. he generally made an ass of himself, not to mention the "i'm-so-cute-you-have-to-forgive-me" act. stopped listening after two weeks

if that was just lack of experience and nervousness in front of the mike and now he's gotten better, more informative, etc., i might try again

(by the way, the new wine guy Fred Price is the sommelier at Union Pacific)

Alcohol is a misunderstood vitamin.

P.G. Wodehouse

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Haven't heard if there has been any developments in the Chowdrow vs. Rocco lawsuit. Anyone?

What disease did cured ham actually have?

Megan sandwich: White bread, Miracle Whip and Italian submarine dressing. {Megan is 4 y.o.}

"Young Man With Charisma And Talent Works Hard; Gains Deserved Respect In Industry Circles; Develops An Excess Of Hubris; Abuses 15 Minutes of Ill-Begotten Fame; Is Shunned By The Same Industry That Once Embraced Him; Peddles Wares Alongside Kathie Lee and Madame Alexander Dolls; Takes Short-Lived Radio Gig... Desperate, Acts In Several Cinemax-At-Night Films; Develops Substance Abuse Problem; Discovers Fame Is a Cruel Mistress; Has Epiphany; Cleans Self Up; Returns To What He Knows, Loves, Does Best: Cooking; Finds True Happiness Was In Front Of Him All Along"

A Book Club novel waiting to happen.

Ah Eunny Jang, I just formed a crush on you as a result of this excellent pop-culture scenario.

• 2 months later...

The party's over folks. He's history on WOR

DiSpirito Goes Off the Air

Now he wants to broaden the way he presents himself to the public, she said, remaking himself as a lifestyle expert on the theme "Grab the Good Life With Rocco."

As long as he's reinventing himself, is he going to convert to Kabbalahism and change his name to Esther?

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

I agree. He was great at UP.

I recall first seeing Emeril on "Cooking with Julia". This may have been before Food Network but definitely way before his show. He was this talented, low-key guy, and I remember thinking, "this guy is really good." Then he developed his current persona. As much as I hate his television personality, he makes damn good food.

My point being, the spotlight can make or break you, and unfortunately for Rocco, it all went to his head.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

I actually called Rocco's talk show on Thanksgiving morning because I had a question about the kosher turkey I was preparing (it was my first time making a kosher bird...and there were pinfeather issues...). He was actually helpful. I thought it was a great resource, having access to a chef on Thanksgiving morning.

That said...I haven't been a fan of Rocco's in a long time either....but (being a pop culturist) I usually catch part of his show on Mondays. A couple weeks ago was pretty funny. When a sleigh bell sound rang, the seventh caller (or whatever) wins a prize. It was clear Rocco had not read the prize card ahead of time... So he congratulates the seventh caller and tells her she has won a mink headband and some other fur products courtesy of Flemington Furs. He was totally grossed out...he couldn't believe he was giving this prize away, he said it went against everything he believes in....

It was pretty funny, I was howling...you just can't make this kind of stuff up.... I'm sure he lost Flemington as a sponsor.. it must not have represented Rocco's vision of what "the good life is."

Another funny thing...someone who makes some kind of wine called "Marilyn" based on Marilyn Monroe had given Rocco a $275 bottle...and someone from the radio studio had stolen it. Rocco was royally pissed. Someone also had stolen Rocco's headphones too. Wonder if JC was seen in the vicintity.... :rolleyes:

I think Rocco should just get back in the kitchen, where he is good. He has tried the media-star glam thing and it didn't work. He announced a while back that Mark Burnett was going to make another show with him...hopefully not.

I think Rocco should just get back in the kitchen, where he is good.  He has tried the media-star glam thing and it didn't work.  He announced a while back that Mark Burnett was going to make another show with him...hopefully not.

I'll second this notion. UP at its peak with Rocco was one of the best and most creative restaurants in the country IMO.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I think Rocco should just get back in the kitchen, where he is good.  He has tried the media-star glam thing and it didn't work.  He announced a while back that Mark Burnett was going to make another show with him...hopefully not.

I'll second this notion. UP at its peak with Rocco was one of the best and most creative restaurants in the country IMO.

I totally, totally agree. Irregardless of his annoying media persona, the guy knows how to cook. He could certainly redeem his current prima donna image and his culinary career quite easily if he were to have another sustained success in the back of the house in a challenging fine dining environment.

If Rocco wants to be a superstar he has to show he is still capable to putting out consistently good food -- not preening his looks and chatting with fawning women. He should seek to emulate someone like Mario Batali, who still busts his ass in the kichen each and every day.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I totally, totally agree. Irregardless of his annoying media persona, the guy knows how to cook. He could certainly redeem his current prima donna image and his culinary career quite easily if he were to have another sustained success in the back of the house in a challenging fine dining environment.

If Rocco wants to be a superstar he has to show he is still capable to putting out consistently good food -- not preening his looks and chatting with fawning women. He should seek to emulate someone like Mario Batali, who still busts his ass in the kichen each and every day.

While I agree that Mario is a far better role model than whatever lecherous jackass Rocco seems to have chosen to emulate in the recent past, you can't unring the bell. He's still always going to be vain, smarmy and narcissistic as far as I'm concerned. He'll just be a vain, smarmy and narcissistic asshole that can cook. He could do that before all this, so I'm not sure "redemption" is the right word. Perhaps if he shows a little personal growth and gains some maturity from this debacle of his own making he might come a bit closer to something resembling redemption.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol