• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rocco Radio:The continuing saga of Rocco DiSpirito

FistFullaRoux

From AllAccess.com - a radio industry website:

BUCKLEY Talk WOR-A/NEW YORK gets a celebrity name to replace the departed ARTHUR SCHWARTZ on the station's long-running "FOOD TALK" show, as well-known chef ROCCO DISPIRITO takes over 11a-Noon weekdays. DISPIRITO is best known nationally for being the star of NBC's reality series "THE RESTAURANT."

I like the fact that he was known nationally as a star on a TV show, not as a chef.

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

Rocco who?

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Man oh man is this funny. I know Rocco can form complete sentences, but can he really talk intelligently for hours at a time? You can't BS with radio. Or rather, you have to be such a supreme BSer that people don't mind that they can't SEE you. :laugh: Remember how Rocco used to get by on his looks (okay, not lately--we all know that)?

Also, isn't "Food Talk" more of a restaurant show than cooking? I mean, Rocco would have to talk about OTHER people's restaurants...

Next up for Rocco: when Howard Stern vacates his spot for Satellite, Rockhead takes that job.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Show Topics

"Rocco's guide to hangover breakfasts"

"Food that can be eaten while driving your Mitsubishi automobile"

"Dressing for success: or how much collar, cuff, and Versace shirttail to expose under your chef coat"

----------

Lots of witty reparte"

Rocco: "I saw lots a nice melons at the market"

Ditzy female co-host: "Rocco, I thought melons are out of season"

Rocco: "That's not the melons I was talking about,..hubba, bubba"

Oh my God....THAT is grim.

I know, and just when you were thinking he's being groomed for FoodTV, or vice versa.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

"Young Man With Charisma And Talent Works Hard; Gains Deserved Respect In Industry Circles; Develops An Excess Of Hubris; Abuses 15 Minutes of Ill-Begotten Fame; Is Shunned By The Same Industry That Once Embraced Him; Peddles Wares Alongside Kathie Lee and Madame Alexander Dolls; Takes Short-Lived Radio Gig... Desperate, Acts In Several Cinemax-At-Night Films; Develops Substance Abuse Problem; Discovers Fame Is a Cruel Mistress; Has Epiphany; Cleans Self Up; Returns To What He Knows, Loves, Does Best: Cooking; Finds True Happiness Was In Front Of Him All Along"

A Book Club novel waiting to happen.

Edited by eunny jang (log)

I know Rocco can form complete sentences, but can he really talk intelligently for hours at a time?  You can't BS with radio. 

at least it's just AN hour at a time. and while you may not be able to BS with radio, you certainly can BS ON radio! :raz:

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

And you have to figure, an hour show has at least 10 minutes of commercials, plus a 5-6 minute newscast (usually). He's only got to be witty, informative, and charming for 45 minutes a day! And he even gets little breaks in between.

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

So let's get this straight...Arthur Schwartz leaves WOR because he doesn't want to be a company shill... and Rocco steps right in. It will be interesting to see what places he recommends to his listeners. Ka and ching.

Actually, I'm really looking forward to when Sophie Glickstein from Great Neck or Stella Esposito from Astoria calls in asking where to go with her other septegenarian girlfriends for pre-theatre 5PM prix fixe. That should be amusing.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

What a waste! Union Pacific in its prime with Rocco actually in the kitchen remains one of the best and most memorable meals of my life. If we were in ancient Greece someone would write a tragedy based on this.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

What a waste! Union Pacific in its prime with Rocco actually in the kitchen remains one of the best and most memorable meals of my life. If we were in ancient Greece someone would write a tragedy based on this.

They already did. It was called The Restaurant. :biggrin:

I feel far less sorry for one who's brought their misfortune on themselves through their own greed, arrogance, <insert deadly sin of choice here> than I do for one who is genuinely "victimized" by bad circumstances or acts of God.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

They already did.  It was called The Restaurant. :biggrin:

I feel far less sorry for one who's brought their misfortune on themselves through their own greed, arrogance, <insert deadly sin of choice here>

The ancient greeks had a single term encompassing all of this: hubris.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Has it definately been decided Rocco is the permanent replacement? I've heard Micheal Lomonico and David Rosengarten as guest hosts also. The WOR 710 Website says a permanent replacement for schwartz is still being sought.

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

What's mamma gonna do ?

She's going to tell Sophie Glickstein or Stella Esposito where to go with their septegenarian girlfriends for pre-theatre 5PM prix fixe! Credit: Jason. :wink:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

The ancient greeks had a single term encompassing all of this: hubris.

Feta.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

From AllAccess.com - a radio industry website:

I like the fact that he was known nationally as a star on a TV show, not as a chef.

Really? From what I saw he was more the "Villain" than the "Star" of that series.

I got all 12 episodes on dvd, only because dvd blanks are less than a buck.

mousedance.gif

TomH...

BRILLIANT!!!

HOORAY BEER!

Caught a portion of Rocco's show today. Rose from New Jersey asked him for a "dairy" luncheon main course for 15 people which she could make the day before and just bring out of the fridge and serve with side dishes.

O.K. I forgive him asking if bacon was okay to use... (it wasn't) and if shellfish was okay (it wasn't)...because he was trying to narrow down parameters...He also said he is very knowledgeable about kosher cuisine because he used to work for a prestigious kosher caterer. Wow, didn't know that.

But what I didn't like was that he recommended she bake a bunch of halibut, covered with olive oil and herbs. Just didn't seem like a good dish to cook, refrigerate and serve cold as a luncheon main course...but to each his/her own.