• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tommy Want Wingy

Daniel

I've been grilling my "wingies" lately. Thus far everyone has really liked them. Give this a try:

I really just eyeball the rub, but I'll give you my best guess.

First of all brine the wings in a gallon of water with a cup of kosher salt for a half hour to 45mins. Make sure you use plenty of ice cubes to keep the temperature safe.

I then dry the wings on plenty of paper towels.

For 20 wings or so, I'll throw them all into a large ziploc baggie and then dump in the spice rub and shake it around to coat well. Let it sit for at least an hour or even overnight.

The Very Approximate Spice Rub

1/2 Tbls Kosher Salt

1/2 Tbls Ground Black Pepper

1 Tbls Paprika

1 Tbls Ground Cumin (if you have whole seeds that you can toast in a pan and then grind, all the better)

1 tsp Dried Thyme

1 tsp Garlic Powder

1/2 tsp Chile Powder

1/2 tsp Red Pepper Flakes

1/8 tsp or more Cayenne

The above measurements are wild guesses (every time I make this, it's a little different), but try it, mix it around thouroughly, and then dip a wet fingertip into it and taste. It should be good, but otherwise just adjust it to taste. You may end up with more spice rub than you need, so just use enough to generously coat the wings and reserve the rest for something else-- steak, pork, etc. Alternatively, take out the cumin and chile powder and replace with 2 Tbls of dried mustard (like Colemans) for a different taste.

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

Thanks. I really like the idea of putting the wings in a brine and will save it for another time. My problem is, tonight i am going to be at a small apartment in Manhattan and deep frying i think is my best option.

I am a purist when it comes to wings. I would mix melted butter and Frank's hot sauce to taste (depending on how you like your wings) and toss the fried wings in a bowl with the sauce. Maybe choose a nice blue cheese and make your own blue cheese sauce (just mix w/sour cream).

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

I bake mine. They still taste good & greasy, because they sizzle in chicken fat as they bake! Do not scrimp on the foil or you will have a very messy pan to clean.

I'm not watching the playoffs but this might make a good meal for watching the debate tomorrow (it's at dinnertime on the left coast.)

BAKED BUFFALO WINGS

3 lbs. chicken wings, “drumettes” if possible; legs can also be used

Sauce:

1–2 cloves garlic, chopped

1/4 tsp. (to taste) Tabasco sauce

1/2 stick (2 oz.) unsalted butter

1/3 c. hot sauce such as Frank’s

1 tbsp. cider vinegar

For serving: Blue Cheese dip/dressing & celery sticks

Preheat the oven to 425º convect. Line a sheet pan w/ heavy-duty foil.

Rinse the wings with cool water. Dry each piece well, squeezing w/ paper towels.

As each piece is dried, place on baking sheet, skin side down. It is okay if they are crowded on the baking sheet. Sprinkle w/ salt.

Bake for 15–30 minutes; the time will depend on the size of the chicken wings & how crowded they are in the pan. Remove from oven; drain the juices from the pan (form a canal with one corner of foil, pour the juices down the sink, & re-crimp the foil).

Turn the wings over, skin side up. Bake for another 15–30 minutes.

Meanwhile, melt the butter & heat the garlic in the butter until softened, but do not let it color. Add to remaining sauce ingredients in a large bowl that will hold all the ingredients.

Add the wings & toss to coat well. Return to the oven & bake for an additional 5 minutes to let the sauce bake into the chicken.

I went on a chicken wing thing last NFL playoffs watching the Patriots. I dry them, dredge in seasoned flour, saute till lightly golden brown and finish them in the oven in the frying pan. Then pour off the fat and pour in a bunch of Texas Pete wing sauce and reduce till thick. May have to come up for something for the Red Sox, but not tonight as I'm working till 9:45, at which time the Yankees hopefully are toast.

I have cooked many wings in my day, and there is absolutely nothing that beats the deep fry mothod.

Deep fry your wings in peanut oil till crispy.

In a saucepan throw some texas pete or Frank's along with some garlic (not traditional, bit it makes it quite good) and butter. If you like black pepper, add loads fo black pepper. Cook till thick, toss the wings in it, and serve up with celery sticks and blue cheese dressing.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

I would like to add that Nullo means LOTS of Butter, I'd say two sticks of melted butter mixed with your choice of hot sauce to taste for 3 dozen wings, fry em up, put them in a large sealed container with the sauce and shake them until fully coated, and that's it - that's your real honest to goodness buffalo chicken wing. Serve with celery and blue cheese. As a student I worked in a place that served them and used to make them all the time.

I am a purist when it comes to wings.  I would mix melted butter and Frank's hot sauce to taste (depending on how you like your wings) and toss the fried wings in a bowl with the sauce.  Maybe choose a nice blue cheese and make your own blue cheese sauce (just mix w/sour cream).

In terms of the blue cheese dipping sauce.. Thats all the blue cheese dressing is. Blue cheese and sour cream? What type of blue cheese would people use. And since i already have creme fraiche, how would that hold up?

May have to come up for something for the Red Sox, but not tonight as I'm working till 9:45, at which time the Yankees hopefully are toast.

You hope the yankees are going to be toast. Turning the yankees into toast is one recipe I dont think anyone has figured out yet.

I typically use pure blue cheese dressing for the sauce, some prefer to mix with sour cream, but I see no reason to dilute it.

The most essential thing is that it be tangy (not ever sweet) and have lots and lots of chunks of blue cheese in it. Preferably huge chunks.

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

I typically use pure blue cheese dressing for the sauce, some prefer to mix with sour cream, but I see no reason to dilute it.

The most essential thing is that it be tangy (not ever sweet) and have lots and lots of chunks of blue cheese in it.  Preferably huge chunks.

You mean you just use store bought blue dressing. I was hoping to make my own dressing.

Blue cheese. Mayonnaise (taste your creme fraiche for sweetness - could be a good sub). Minced garlic, a little milk to thin if it needs it. Salt, pepper. Eat with spoon.

Edit: Oh. Use buttermilk if you want; and definitely add a thin stream of wine vinegar.

Edited by eunny jang (log)

I use store bought dressing for wings often yes. Costco sells this Kirkland Premium stuff that is actually very very good.

Sometimes I make my own, but I just use a blue cheese dressing recipe the same as I would if I were making it for a salad. I typically use more garlic though.

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

I have cooked many wings in my day, and there is absolutely nothing that beats the deep fry mothod.

Deep fry your wings in peanut oil till crispy.

In a saucepan throw some texas pete or Frank's along with some garlic (not traditional, bit it makes it quite good) and butter.  If you like black pepper, add loads fo black pepper.  Cook till thick, toss the wings in it, and serve up with celery sticks and blue cheese dressing.

Can I have like 1,000 of those wings right now? That sounds faboo, but I have a serious buffalo wing jones... :wub:

Iris

GROWWWWWLLLLL!!

When I used to work in a seafood restaurant in New England, the blue cheese dressing was alway fresh blue cheese crumbled into sour cream. I would think creme fraiche would be an excellent substitute. As far as the cheese goes, you can choose your favorite bleu. I would probably opt for a Stilton, or Cabrales, or, if not, a Gorgonzola or perhaps even Roquefort.

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

Can I have like 1,000 of those wings right now?  That sounds faboo, but I have a serious buffalo wing jones... :wub:

Hehe, my favorite wing joint actually has prices for up to orders of 10,000 wings listed on the menu. They actualyl make their wings far better than I ever have managed, but I have since had to drop them off my list as they only do breaded wings.

I think the secret is a lot of black pepper in their sauce, which I have since started to add, haven't quite matched it yet though.

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

Ha Ha Ha Yankees toast?? Don't look like it's gonna happen :biggrin::biggrin:

As for the wings ..... lots of butter, lots of hot sauce, marinate, dredge lightly in flour then deep fry MMMMMMMM

I want food and I want it now

The wings were/are terrific.. Put them in the deep fryer after a little dip in the milk and flour. Also made jalapeno poppers. I went with a roquefort sour cream dipping sauce.. The damn roquefort was more expensive then all the other ingrediants combined. Besides the beer actually.. Yeh, i am not one to count my chickens, but the yankees seem to be doing ok.

gallery_15057_181_1097633034.jpg

I think i used a little too much hot sauce.. As you can see my friend couldnt handle the spice.

Yeah, well i just got in, and I'm a little stunned. It was 8 zip a few minutes ago but they apparently just got something going. game ain't over yet, but I'm going to bed with the two vintage cheesemaking books I just got from ebay.uk. One from 1919 and one from 1924..cost a bloody fortune, wonder if they're still relevant. As far as the ball game, there's alway tomorrow.

Wow. I almost ate my words tonight as well. :wub: Thank you everyone for your help. I forgot to add that in the deep fryer, because of lack of supplies, I had to use a mixture of oils. I used mainly peanut oil, but i used equal parts of canola, corn oil and sesame oil. After frying 24 poppers and about a pound and a half of chicken the oil level didnt even move. I was wondering if this mixture would have acted differently then just using 100 percent peanut.

By the way for the poppers, which i am sure everyone knows how to make, I wanted to give the recipe.

12 oz cream cheese

8 oz shredded cheddar

12 jalapenos cut in half

1) Mix cream cheese and cheddar.

2) Stuff in jalapenos

3) dip in milk then flour

4) dip in milk the bread crumbs (repeat)

5) Fry em up.

I was kind of pissed, it occured to me after everything was already prepared, i should have used the left over blue cheese to stuff some under the skin of the chicken wings or in a popper. But that will be my justification for repeating the process maybe during the world series or something. :hmmm: